Just ordered a Super Vepr .308

Classic arms has all flavors of Vepr rifles, including the Super Vepr .308. The price seems reasonable at $1099.00. I will post pics once I have the rife in hand! 022.gif

Congratulations.

When you get it, could you please take a look and let me know whether any of the FCG parts look like they are interchangeable with standard AK parts?

Thanks.

Nice purchase. I love that we talked the factory into adjusting the mounts and serial numbering them to the rifle so it is just out of the box ready. As for the FCG it has a different mag release and trigger, I doubt any are interchangeable.

Is there any path to 922r compliance when using 20 round mags with the Super VEPR?

Classic arms has all flavors of Vepr rifles, including the Super Vepr .308. The price seems reasonable at $1099.00. I will post pics once I have the rife in hand! 022.gif

congrats on the purchase, you wont be disappointed as they are a very unique ak variant. purchased mine through rare LLC, when they recently started importing them again mid last year.

I bought the $900 one (without the side mount) from K-Var. Don't quote me on this, but I heard that the foreign part count is 12. So, theoretically, considering that a US made mag replaces 3 parts, you should be ok with US made high cap mags. I haven't look into it too closely, since I back-ordered the rifle and won't have it until some time late march. On one hand, I am hoping that these rifles take off, so that there are going to be after-market parts (like a Crapco plastic stock that I can install when hunting in rough conditions or an improved trigger). On the other hand, if they don't take off and the importation ceases fast, I will have something truly unique to show off at the range. :)

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

You guys will be the first ones to see the pics. I am also expecting a POSP 8x42 D so once I have them both I will post pics of the mounted optics. I hope they are not too high...I bought the scope from amazon.com so if it is too high a return will be easy. wink.png

Edited by BashyMcNasty
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice purchase. I love that we talked the factory into adjusting the mounts and serial numbering them to the rifle so it is just out of the box ready. As for the FCG it has a different mag release and trigger, I doubt any are interchangeable.

So the mounts are aligned for the rifle at the factory, no having to adjust the mount? Are there any differences between the hunter and super other than the thumb-hole stock.

My biggest worry is that there will never be a 10 or 15 round magazine for the 7.62x54R, and that would leave me not wanting the rifle. I love the super .308, but I want to be able to shoot inexpensive x54R, lot's of range time :)

• 4 weeks later...

I just purchased a Vepr (not the Super) in 308 and I love it. A nice step up from the Saiga 308 I had.

One question: I still have a Saiga 20 round magazine. Can I adapt the Saiga mag to the Vepr? They are not interghangeable, I tried. Looks like some Dremel tool work is needed to make the Saiga mag fit.

Once Source Tactical is doing a .308 VEPR and are making mags for it. Gabe Suares made a comment about offering additional mags up for sale following filling orders for those that buy the gun. M14 based if I recall.

Edited by 6500rpm

We make a magazine for the vepr, been making them for almost three years... http://stores.csspec...ound/Detail.bok

Tried the M-14 magazine first since it does fit in the mag well (and are fairly cheap), but the cut out on the front of the magazine had to be filled for them to not scuff the bullets or double feed intermittently. Which took almost 40 mins each, so it was more cost effective to make our own.. Plus we could keep the bolt from stopping on the follower, which adds to the life of the magazine.

We make a magazine for the vepr, been making them for almost three years... http://stores.csspec...ound/Detail.bok

Tried the M-14 magazine first since it does fit in the mag well (and are fairly cheap), but the cut out on the front of the magazine had to be filled for them to not scuff the bullets or double feed intermittently. Which took almost 40 mins each, so it was more cost effective to make our own.. Plus we could keep the bolt from stopping on the follower, which adds to the life of the magazine.

I love the look of your mags and would like to get some, when my Super 308 arrives. The only problem is the 922r. I have read that Supers only have 12 (relevant) Russian parts, which suggests that I would be compliant with one of your high cap mags, which would replace 3 of those parts, but I am not too sure as to how reliable that info was. Do you, by any chance, know for sure? Thanks.

I don't know any better than anyone else.

My opinion is that the supers probably have 13 parts.. Which means they would be ok in stock configuration... Logically any part that happens to preform two functions is still just one part, like the trigger in an AK is not a sear as well. So going on that same logic the super has only a stock provided its a single piece.

Now the ATF did decide that some thumbhole stocks count as two parts, but it was one that basically had a pistol grip that happened to be connected to the stock, not a true thumbhole like the super has.

But I'm not ATF so my opinion is as legally valuable as what your paying for it.

You may be able to swap one or two of the trigger parts, but that may be more gunsmithing than some are comfortable with.

The hunter and pioneer models look to have 14 parts, swapping a gas piston may also be possible.

I don't know any better than anyone else.

My opinion is that the supers probably have 13 parts.. Which means they would be ok in stock configuration... Logically any part that happens to preform two functions is still just one part, like the trigger in an AK is not a sear as well. So going on that same logic the super has only a stock provided its a single piece.

Now the ATF did decide that some thumbhole stocks count as two parts, but it was one that basically had a pistol grip that happened to be connected to the stock, not a true thumbhole like the super has.

But I'm not ATF so my opinion is as legally valuable as what your paying for it.

You may be able to swap one or two of the trigger parts, but that may be more gunsmithing than some are comfortable with.

The hunter and pioneer models look to have 14 parts, swapping a gas piston may also be possible.

Thanks. I will look into the FCG thing and swapping the piston, just to be on the safe side.

• 2 weeks later...

promag from recent reviews have gone out of their way to turn a new leaf on QC.

This claim is ever new.

dunno thats just what I have read from posts in the last year on various forums. I do have some on order with tgscom. if I ever get them (order processing for over a week.....) and my rifle I will let ya know if there is any truth to it or not.

I have one of those mags.. I'll just say my days of not taking them serious have come to a middle.

I have not seen them listed as in stock in a good while... I'm guessing that someone bought out production to rebrand.

Edit 5/7/12: After seeing the other vepr magazines in more photos and doing some careful looking. I'm strongly of the opinion that they are merely a rebrand with some paint on the follower. Everything is the same, catches are the same profile and even have the same tooling marks on them. And both bodies share the same deviations from M-14 magazines, the square back, the square step just above the front lug.

I'd post some clear pictures but my Promag is a little worse for wear.

I have one of those mags.. I'll just say my days of not taking them serious have come to a middle.

I have not seen them listed as in stock in a good while... I'm guessing that someone bought out production to rebrand.

Rebrand? Hmmm....

If what and who I think you are thinking is the case, it would be ironic indeed.

and my rifle I will let ya know if there is any truth to it or not.

That's how they stay in business. People always have to find out for themselves, maybe because they think they can save money. For my part, even if they do turn out an occasional decent product, I don't trust them, their quality, or their quality control. It's about what kind of people are running the company - apparently the kind that don't mind coming to work and knowingly turning out a substandard product.

Edited by Jim Digriz