223or 545

Thinkin about my next Saiga. I have a 762 now. Gettin ready to convert it but always thinkin about the next project.

Anyway a couple of questions.

Can you safely shoot either ammo out of either rifle? Can you shoot 223 out of a 5.56 and can you shoot 545 out of a 223?

Are there any proplem with either Saiga's in these caliburs? Are there any problems with either calibur?

Which would be the better all around round?

I think the 223 is cheaper ammo than the 545 right?

thanks

Edited by thumbs1

I am assuming that your question is just a typo, you are meaning .223 and 5.56x45 right? If that is what you mean, then yes a .223 Saiga will shoot either .223 or 5.56. However, you cannot interchangeably shoot 5.45x39 Russian in a .223/5.56 Saiga.

Edited by TJohn

No they cannot shoot each others ammo. The 223 is actually a NATO 5.56x45mm while the 5.45 is a 5.45x39mm. Currently the 5.45 is cheaper, but only sourced from foreign factories therefore 5.56 will have higher availability. A bonus on the 223/5.56 is you can convert it to use AR-15/M16/M4 magazines making a good SHTF weapon as far as versatility and availability of supplies (ballistics not withstanding).

I'm looking at a 308 for my next one. They are like LAYS, you can never eat just one.

TJohn

Brain freeze I guess yes 5.56. I changed it thanks.

Ok so to be the most versitial and have the greatest availability of ammo I should go with the 223. That way I can shoot .223 or 5.56. So I'll start lookin for a .223. Thanks guys

Hey anyone know why I am not gettin notifications when I get responces to my posts?

There is a simple solution to your problem: get both.

Getting both is always a good solution, gives a person even more options! Plus the 5.45 is a fun rifle and you won't have to monkey with the mag well to use surplus mags. Both are super easy to do the butt stock, pistol grip and trigger group conversion on. The 5.45 may be slightly less expensive to shoot even if you are just shooting non-corrosive ammo, but like you said thumbs1, you will have more options with 5.56/.223.

As for notices on posts there ought to be an option in your account settings page that you can click to receive notices.

If you plan to load up on a bunch of ammo bought off the internet, then get the 5.45. If you tend to just buy a couple boxes of ammo here and there, then get the 5.56. There are many things to consider, but I think the above pertains most to the casual shooter.

When you consider the .223 round v 5.45, also remember that .223 is weaker than 5.56 Nato. Any great things you read about 5.56 Nato just isn't the same if you shoot nothing but imported steel cased .223.

I prefer the 5.45 over the 5.56.... The 5.56 is reliant on velocity to preform to expectations whereas the 5.45 is not... you shoot a 5.56 out of a short barrel you end up with roughly a 22mag, the 5.45 can shoot out of a short barrel and still be lethal.... the bullet design itself on the 5.45 is what causes it to get ugly, not speed makeing it IMHO a better cartridge for shots out at greater distances... in close, they are both equal preformers assumeing at least 14 inches of threaded barrel... once ya start getting down into the 12 inch range, the 5.56 starts to loose effectiveness quickly

if A and B are equal under perfect shooting conditions for A..... but B surpasses A in anything less than the perfect shooting enviroment... B seems to be the clear winner.... at least in my book.

not sure if that came out understandable or not.... sometimes have trouble putting my thoughts down in text where others understand it

now.... if as Dobavery said, your NOT planing to sit on 4 to 6 spam cans of 5.45, but rather, just buy a box or two when you hit the range to do a little shooting for today ......5.56 is the better bet no matter what

but yea, if it were me, 5.45 and 4 to 6 spam cans of surplus..... open one to shoot, and dont open a second till you've replaced the first. or sit on your corrosive surplus for .... " later " .... and only shoot non corrosive thru the gun till SHTF... that way your rifle is GTG and you have enough ammo to make due

• Like 1

I prefer the 5.45 over the 5.56.... The 5.56 is reliant on velocity to preform to expectations whereas the 5.45 is not... you shoot a 5.56 out of a short barrel you end up with roughly a 22mag, the 5.45 can shoot out of a short barrel and still be lethal.... the bullet design itself on the 5.45 is what causes it to get ugly, not speed makeing it IMHO a better cartridge for shots out at greater distances... in close, they are both equal preformers assumeing at least 14 inches of threaded barrel... once ya start getting down into the 12 inch range, the 5.56 starts to loose effectiveness quickly

if A and B are equal under perfect shooting conditions for A..... but B surpasses A in anything less than the perfect shooting enviroment... B seems to be the clear winner.... at least in my book.

not sure if that came out understandable or not.... sometimes have trouble putting my thoughts down in text where others understand it

now.... if as Dobavery said, your NOT planing to sit on 4 to 6 spam cans of 5.45, but rather, just buy a box or two when you hit the range to do a little shooting for today ......5.56 is the better bet no matter what

but yea, if it were me, 5.45 and 4 to 6 spam cans of surplus..... open one to shoot, and dont open a second till you've replaced the first. or sit on your corrosive surplus for .... " later " .... and only shoot non corrosive thru the gun till SHTF... that way your rifle is GTG and you have enough ammo to make due

not only what you just said, but i also consider test barrel length. most ammo for the 5.56 is tested with a longer barrel to produce a higher velocity for marketing. usually 20+ inch barrels. while 5.56 is a little faster, id rather have the 5.45. its a more consistant performer at any range and velocity.