Any tips on how to keep the safety from scratching the receiver ?

Embrace the scratch. It's like a badge, inherent to the AK family. I've seen a few tricks, from bending the safty lever out alittle. File the stamped dot down a lttle. Tie mono fishing line around it. Bla bla bla. You can alleviate it but it will still wear some.

Take the safety lever and C-clamp it to the receiver slightly behind the offending dimple, then using a screwdriver (wrapped in tape to prevent marring) bend the safety out 1". Next, grasping the safety lever in vice grips bend the lever until it stands 90 degrees out from your reciever. Wrap a strong packing rubber band around the receiver to provide tension. This will ruin your safety lever and all of your gun's visual appeal and 60% of it's retail value, but your safety will not scratch the receiver.

There are two neat advantages to this modification.... You will be able to pull the carrier back far enough to do a chamber check with the safety on, and your friend sitting next to you will be able to operate your safety for you if you are to busy hiding your face in shame.

Edited by preparehandbook

Wow! Seems the concensus recommendation is to embrace the scratch. Well, as I like to tinker, I may drill out the dimple and hammer in a plastic bead in its place. Then perhap apply a little heat from a heatgun directly to the bead and mush it slightly so it does no fall out, then again maybe I will not bother. .

Edited by Bagels
  • Like 2

If you're going to go to all that trouble, put in a small ball bearing with a spring behind it. That would roll instead of drag across the receiver, and it would still snap into the dimple. This sounds like a cool aftermarket upgrade some enterprising soul could make and sell.

Tired of the safety scratching your nice rifle? We have the solution.

Buy our Ball Bearing Safety Lever and say goodbye to safety drag marks on your receiver forever!

**Not a real advertisement...just giving away an idea as yet another benefit for Saiga-12.com**

A good tip from a youtube video of a s-12 conversion, he put the safety lever in a vise, gently clamped down (just to make contact on the internal part) and smacked it where the lever meets the part that actually stops the trigger. It takes some pressure off of the lever and doesn't scratch the side of the receiver. Let me see if I can find a link.

Go to youtube and type this in under search.

Gunsmithing the Izhmash Saiga 12 Part 1- Evil and Black

This shows him doing it...overall, a very good series on doing a conversion!!

Edited by unclejake

Wow! Seems the concensus recommendation is to embrace the scratch. Well, as I like to tinker, I may drill oit the dimple and hammer in a plastic bead in its place. Then perhap s apply a little heat from a heatgun directly to the e bead and mush it slightly so it does no fall out, then again maybe I will not bather. .

Great idea! And after that you could knit some little comfies to drape over the top cover to keep the little fella warm and prevent any undue chafing there, too. rolleyes.gif

Martha-and-Tracey-Ullman.jpg

Edited by DogMan
  • Like 2

I have. I drilled a hole in the side of the safety lever and from the back side, inserted a plastic tab. So the head of the plastic tab rubs the receiver. There may be a plastic tab ready to use but I got these little things at Home Depot used for supporting shelves. Then sanded the head down until it was just a little left. I know the description is not good. I'll try to post a picture of it later. But it works. On my Draco Mini, I ground off the point on the back of the level and applied some liquid rubber used for dipping handles of tools in. That also works.

• Like 1

I used one of the extra hole plugs from the CSS conversion kit I got.The

Lever is hardened and a standard drill bit will not work. Use a grinder or

Dremel to remove the detent. I used a diamond burr to enlarge the

hole enough to put the hole plug in.

Malodave

Edited by MaloDave
  • Like 1

I still say the easiest way to fix this issue and preserve the finish and thus potential resale value of the firearm is a 3.00 can of Black plastidip you can get at any Lowe's Home Depot Ace or most automotive parts stores... dip the last inch or two of the safty lever in... let dry, reinstall.... win?

I still say the easiest way to fix this issue and preserve the finish and thus potential resale value of the firearm is a 3.00 can of Black plastidip you can get at any Lowe's Home Depot Ace or most automotive parts stores... dip the last inch or two of the safty lever in... let dry, reinstall.... win?

Wouldn't there be a difference in color on the safety?

Go buy a AR.

That's a good idea!

Buy an AR Then either never fire it out of boredom with it's wussy-assed pipsqeak round instead using your 10/22 winmag which is like a reliable AR without the shame...or... fire the unreliable plastic piece of crap, have it fail in it's operational environment, not succeding in performing even under a mild version of what it was designed to do.

either way, no scratches.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but this is a Saiga forum, most of us are here because we prefer relaible, inexpensive, well designed weapons vs freakishly overweight bubbadized plastic pieces of shit festooned with more crap than a christmas tree and better at putting our own troops in jeapordy than our enemies... What? That carbon AR in the corner of my office? It's um.... I didn't see it there...I...um... DON'T JUDGE ME!

Edited by preparehandbook
  • Like 1

I like my saftey scratch, it was on there when I picked up the gun. My guns scratches just add character to them. How is an ar a plastic piece of crap? Aren't the working parts aluminum?

Oh that's not fair throwing facts into the discussion!

Actually very little on my AR is metal. (I'm trying to get it down to 3 #s 12 oz)

FCG (will change to a plum crazy composite one soon)

carrier group

barrel

gas block

gas tube

springs

Wow! Seems the concensus recommendation is to embrace the scratch. Well, as I like to tinker, I may drill oit the dimple and hammer in a plastic bead in its place. Then perhap s apply a little heat from a heatgun directly to the e bead and mush it slightly so it does no fall out, then again maybe I will not bather. .

Great idea! And after that you could knit some little comfies to drape over the top cover to keep the little fella warm and prevent any undue chafing there, too. rolleyes.gif

like this?

tumblr_lsgz5deWqt1qm31fro1_500.jpg

• Like 3

like this?

tumblr_lsgz5deWqt1qm31fro1_500.jpg

Yeah, there you go. Martha Stewart would be so proud.

The knit gun covers, that is too funny! I am no Martha Stewart, just wanted to protect my effort of painting the gun with such care and detail. Lat night I started to remove the safety and said screw it, I had better things to do. The scratch will stay, it is an AK afterall. Now I have time to start my knitting....not. Cheers.

• Like 2

The knit gun covers, that is too funny! I am no Martha Stewart, just wanted to protect my effort of painting the gun with such care and detail. Lat night I started to remove the safety and said screw it, I had better things to do. The scratch will stay, it is an AK afterall. Now I have time to start my knitting....not. Cheers.

Glad you came to your senses!

I like my saftey scratch, it was on there when I picked up the gun. My guns scratches just add character to them. How is an ar a plastic piece of crap? Aren't the working parts aluminum?

Oh that's not fair throwing facts into the discussion!

Actually very little on my AR is metal. (I'm trying to get it down to 3 #s 12 oz)

FCG (will change to a plum crazy composite one soon)

carrier group

barrel

gas block

gas tube

springs

We're looking to add a carbon 15 to our collection soon, (already have the 20" heavy barrel tack driver) I assume you are happy with yours? I've been told they weigh in at 5 pounds from the factory, how did you get yours down to three?

I was pissed after I spent upwards of 15 minutes sanding, spraying and letting dry a couple coats of high temp rattle can perfection and then working the saftey and the scratch wasn't perfect. I was quickly over it.027.gif Have fun with it.