Installed a bullet guide in IZ340..

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 glowingvalves

glowingvalves

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:29 AM

After hitting the range with a wide variety of 5.45x39 magazines, I found that I had trouble getting the E. German Bakelite magazines to feed properly. This past week I ordered a bullet guide from Dinzag and installed it yesterday. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

The only problem I encountered, was that the mounting screw was too large for the hole in the BG. I ended up enlarging the hole with a bigger cobalt drill bit. The screw fit the threads that I cut in the trunion, but again, the hole in the BG was too small.
Once it was enlarged, it fit fine, and the screw was red loc-tited in place during installation.

I know a lot of people have said they've had 100% reliability without a bullet guide in their 5.45, but I hadn't had this experience. I believe that my rifle is now 100% reliable, as it accepts and feeds all of my magazines without issue. Another "side-effect" of the bullet guide is that now all of my magazines fit TIGHT. There is no wobble at all, and when attached, they feel more or less permanently-attached. Also, the magazine release button needed no filing.

Edited by MyGrassIsBlue05, 26 February 2012 - 11:21 AM.

#2 physicsnerd

physicsnerd

Executive Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

After hitting the range with a wide variety of 5.45x39 magazines, I found that I had trouble getting the E. German Bakelite magazines to feed properly. This past week I ordered a bullet guide from Dinzag and installed it yesterday. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

The only problem I encountered, was that the mounting screw was too large for the hole in the BG. I ended up enlarging the hole with a bigger cobalt drill bit. The screw fit the threads that I cut in the trunion, but again, the hole in the BG was too small.
Once it was enlarged, it fit fine, and the screw was red loc-tited in place during installation.

I know a lot of people have said they've had 100% reliability without a bullet guide in their 5.45, but I hadn't had this experience. I believe that my rifle is now 100% reliable, as it accepts and feeds all of my magazines without issue. Another "side-effect" of the bullet guide is that now all of my magazines fit TIGHT. There is no wobble at all, and when attached, they feel more or less permanently-attached. Also, the magazine release button needed no filing.

Excellent. So if I understand you correctly you were having feeding problems with the E. German bakelites before the bullet guide and now that you have the BG in you're good to go?

I think I am going to order a BG from Dinzag for my Vepr.

#3 glowingvalves

glowingvalves

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

Excellent. So if I understand you correctly you were having feeding problems with the E. German bakelites before the bullet guide and now that you have the BG in you're good to go?

I think I am going to order a BG from Dinzag for my Vepr.

Yes, that is correct.
Before the bullet guide, the E. German mags would seat fine, but after the second shot, the next bullet in line would be slammed into the bottom portion of the breech face, causing serious setback issues.

Installed the bullet guide, and had no more issues - with any (Pol, Bulg, E.G. Rus) of my magazines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users