Updated 308 conversion

This rifle has been a work in progress for a couple of years. I accomplished the initial conversion quickly during which I added the pistol grip, Ace stock, and extended magazine release. More recently I've added the Texas Weapon Systems railed dust cover and the Dublin AK Systems left side, forward charging handle. In the pictures below you can see an Eotech mounted on the dust cover and a white spacer made out of PVC tube on the upper support tube of the stock. That spacer prevents the Ace cheek riser from sliding to the rear.

Still to come is a piece of Picatinny rail mounted under the handguard.

What I really want is something to attached a sling to at the top rear of the stock. Too bad I'm not a machinist.

2011_Feb_008.jpg

2011_Feb_009.gif

2011_Feb_012_double.gif

• Like 1

Does the railed dustcover on the Saiga make a steady enough platform for your optics to hold thier zero?

My Saiga .308 is due to arrive this week and I'm planning on rail-mounting optics somehow. (Not too crazy about side-mounted mounts usually.)

Pardon me questioning, but it's about ten years since I've owned a (Norinco) AK-type and I remember my dustcover as being inadequate for this purpose.

Does the railed dustcover on the Saiga make a steady enough platform for your optics to hold thier zero?

Absolutely! I've installed two of them and have another on the way. Normally, I run them with an AImpoint on top but for load development I'll put a 3-9X scope on. It is rock steady. The trick in the design of the cover is that it uses a new recoil spring guide that has a specially shaped "button" on the back that forces the cover down under the tension of the recoil spring. Simple yet ingenious.