Cleaning the 5.45

Hey all.

I am getting my brand spanking new 5.45 soon, and i have a couple questions about cleaning gear for it...

Since i cant find a specific 5.45 bore brush and rod, i was thinking of using a .22 brush and rod (a .22 is 5.58 millimeters in diameter). it may be a little tight, but i can always stick it in a drill and sand off a couple thousandths off the brush...

What do you guys use for cleaning your rifles?

thanks again!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I use hot water, gunzilla and .22 boresnake. There's a bunch of threads about cleaning in here. Search around and you will find all kinds of options.

Congrats on the new 5.45!

I also use the .22 boresnake. Works just fine. (But I'm shooting non-corrosive also).

thats an interesting idea... I never thought of electrolysis...

I wouldnt try it on the barrel though, as mentioned above, electrolysis could take the chrome off.

I got a .22 boresnake and it seems to be doing just fine. I use a 12 gauge borebrush for the gas tube.

I guess it depends on what type of ammo you use. If you are using comm. block surplus, then you would want to clean it with the issued equipment and nylon brush. If you want, a used 5.56 brush wont be as tight down the barrel as a new virgin one would. A good quality brass brush.

If you use non corrosive ammo, or are just touching up the barrel, the snake will do a good job when it isn't all cruddy!

i dont use a brush. a brass .22 jag and patches work well. also a dewey coated cleaning rod. to flush out the corrosive salts i use a 3:1 mix of distilled water:denatured alcohol. soak a few mins in seafoam deep creep, then the jag and patches.

• 2 weeks later...

Cleaning the bore is easy. The chamber has given me the most grief. Hot soapy water on chamber, bore, bolt, and gas block. Then a .40 cal brass bore brush to scrap down the chamber. Scrape out as much debri as you can with the .22 cal bore brush and some toothbrushes. Then dry clean. Lube up...

How do you guys clean the front-end of the gas tube?......the "right-angle" piece that enters the barrel at one end....and has an attachment to the forward part of the removable gas tube on the other end. You would think this fixed, right-angle piece is a vulnerable area if you shoot corrosive.....or just an area that needs periodic cleaning in any case. This right-angle piece is fixed to the barrel.

Edited by IPSC45

Get a rod setup for .17HMR or .204 Ruger. .204 brush will work fine.

The included cleaning rod is steel and isnt recomended for regular cleaning simply because it can potentially cause wear over time, especially to the crown. AK cleaning kits have a cap that usually doubles as a rod guide. It goes over the muzzle and prevents the rod from touching the crown. Unfortunately the included Saiga cleaning kits usually don't have a guide cap.

12ga shotgun brush is perfect for the gas tube, and a .50 chamber brush works pretty good for the gas block, though it doesn't get all the way in.

Go back to my post #18......if we discount the removable part of the gas tube.....what about the fixed, right angle port that the gas tube attaches-to?.... and is part of the topiside of the barrel???

Go back to my post #18......if we discount the removable part of the gas tube.....what about the fixed, right angle port that the gas tube attaches-to?.... and is part of the topiside of the barrel???

If you search Google for "clean AK gas port", you'll see lots of suggestions. Centerfire has this little gas port cleaning tool that looks like it will work well. Maybe use it once a year or so. I've never yet cleaned mine other than to send boiling water, Hoppe's, CLP, or Brakleen down it.

That is the gas block. Clean the inside of it. The gas port that leads into the barrel is more difficult to clean on a Saiga due to its 90-deg angle. Fortunately, the port doesn't get all that dirty. The majority of the gas system carbon collects in the upper body of the gas block.