Point of converting saiga 12?

Ok, I am sort of new to this forum, but I have had a Saiga-12 for years. Everywhere I look there are topics and discussions about converting the FCG and moving the trigger guard and all that jazz. If you can install a new stock and pistol grip without doing all that, which you can, why do it? Am I missing something or is it just to accommodate a certain brand of saiga 12 stocks? Any help in clarification would be great! Thanks in advance!

The stickies cover it well, but there are a lot of advantages.

1) the gun is way better balanced and handles better in every way. The weight of the gun and ammo is pulled closer to your body and you have a shotgun that swings better and feels lighter for about the same weight.

2) The gun is shorter overall. It feels better with a pistol grip.

3)the trigger is better with any trigger group you choose

4) You have a lot more and cheaper options for stocks. Most of the non-converting options are over long, hokey and over priced.

5) if you want to use magazines larger than 5 rounds legally, you have to do a Legal Conversion. (eliminating enough foriegn parts to satisfy 922® This is possible without moving the trigger group, but the cost is similar, so you may as well kill two birds and end up with a gun that handles right. Moving the trigger group and replacing two other counted parts with US made equivalents will both restore the gun and satisfy the requirements of legal conversion.

Edited by GunFun

Making it your own individual multi-tool! "There are many like similar to it, but this one is mine!" If for no other reason than to undo the changes our do gooder, idiotic, stupid, ignorant, dumb, sorry, lazy, corrupt, evil, and UNCONSTITUTIONAL GOVT should have left alone in the 1st place. Don't forget your stimulating the economy also!

Edited by Guns Are Great

I converted mine because I had an extra 2000.00 lieing around and couldn't find any other way to spend it... I mean really.... it was that or feed it to the goats which I also strongly considered.

All jokeing aside... if you pick up and hold a loaded ( or hell even empty ) S-12 unconverted... then set it down and pick up a converted one... it instantly becomes very clear as to why one would do the conversion. Its an ergonomics sort of thing thats just not possible to put into words... leaveing one unconverted is like buying a new corvette with 4 donut spares on it and a hole in the floorboard to Flintstone it from point A to point B.... Converting the 12 gets your regular tires back on and a key that starts the car.

• Like 1

evil blk ftw!!!!! pics speak a million words!!! lovin everyminute of it!!!!

speaking of side folders, who has the cheapest? cheapest krink or whatever, not that crapco or amd style

Check out ak-builder. They have the triangle or poly style.

evil blk ftw!!!!! pics speak a million words!!! lovin everyminute of it!!!!

speaking of side folders, who has the cheapest? cheapest krink or whatever, not that crapco or amd style

Check out ak-builder. They have the triangle or poly style.

Last time I checked, AK Builder has 4.5mm untis. I would pay the extra $50 for the 5.5mm Russin.... but wait.... I did ;)

All I know is Curtis could sell some front latches like crazy now.

Look at Evl's pics, the unconverted S-12 looks like a funky mag-fed shotgun whereas the converted S-12 looks like an AK-47 on steroids! Oh and all of the ergonomics, a sub-4lb trigger (yeah) with a clean break, and better balance. It's a multi-win situation!

• Like 1

Look at Evl's pics, the unconverted S-12 looks like a funky mag-fed shotgun whereas the converted S-12 looks like an AK-47 on steroids! Oh and all of the ergonomics, a sub-4lb trigger (yeah) with a clean break, and better balance. It's a multi-win situation!

I look at it like this....

The weapon looks much better converted

The balance point of the weapon is moved rearward which makes it "feel" much lighter even though it has actually gained weight (however minimal).

The trigger can be made to feel incredible on a converted S12 (I have a trick up my sleeve ;) ) It will be a while before you guys see it though. Sorry.

Recoil is much easier to manage with the use of a pistol grip.

.... and you can't put an AK100 folder on a sporterized Saiga 12 ;)

Simple truth is.... if the "sporterized" configuration was a better design, the Russian Police and Military would be using it.... and they aren't.

• Like 1

leaveing one unconverted is like buying a new corvette with 4 donut spares on it and a hole in the floorboard to Flintstone it from point A to point B.... Converting the 12 gets your regular tires back on and a key that starts the car.

http://performancedrive.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Mercedes-Benz-C-63-AMG-Coupe-space-saver-tyres-630x443.jpg

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/attachments/f259/157886d1292110986-driving-lotus-20-30-degree-weather-winter-wheels-1.jpg

You guys are awesome, and with this new found tax money, I'll be stimulating the economy by buying the conversion here real soon. I already have the req'd amount 922 parts on it, but honestly I guess I needed it laid out dummy style for me. When I first got it, I did not have the know how to do it, and since then after changing a lot of stuff about it, I just never really understood until now as to why to do it! Thanks a lot guys!

To satisfy the cult following of course!

Yes, you must be obedient and convert. Then you will be transported to the mothership which will carry us all to eternal bliss on planet Kalashnoid. ha ha ha ha. HA HA HA HA HA HA!

4c8663901720055334375.jpg

• Like 2

The trigger is a huge reason. I mean just look at that thing, just plain goofy looking. Another reason is options. Look at the pic thread, the unconverted guns all look the same. I could go on for hours but.....

• Like 1

All joking aside....

I picked up my new S12 today. and ordered the parts I needed for a partial conversion. Below I've listed the changes I will be doing and why:

CSS performance piston - 922 compliance and low brass functionality

MD 10 slot flash hider - 922 compliance (cheapest US muzzle attachment I found)

bulgarian skeleton stock - ergonomics, plus anticommagirl is selling them for $17

Tromix FCG - reliability and 922 compliance

Trigger moved forward - length reduction and stock mounting

bolt and FCG polish - reliability

I'll probably bullpup it in the end anyway because nothing beats a bullpup.

Sounds ok, but you should go shoot some crappy low brass on setting #2 to find out if you really need that "performance puck" Otherwise the $8 tapco puck will do for your parts count. Also that flash hider and the cheap puck are cheaper on MAA.

Also, if it isn't very close to running, the boost from a puck isn't enough to solve the problems. See here for analysis: http://forum.saiga-1...__fromsearch__1 My post in there has my opinion, and there are several other good ones in there. Bottom line, if you don't have a problem, don't spend money fixing it. If you do have a problem, fix it right, which happens to be all but free, instead of spending money on things that might help but probably won't solve the problem.

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 1

Generally, the guys who make a living doing a thing, are the guys whose ideas are as a rule, the best way to approach a matter. Ever kill a hog? And butcher it? Don't even try without some kind of guidance. What looks easy at the butcher's, is anything but on your own hook.

If you aren't offended by the looks of the pagan Saiga 12, then leave it as is. If it shoots everything but low brass, buy and shoot only high brass. If it shoots well enough, then shoot it as is...

I have both converted and pagan Saiga 12's. Blindfold me, hand me one, and as far as shooting it is concerned, I can't see a hill of beans worth of difference. Won't know which is which without feeling the stock. Looking at them, fondling them, examining them closely, then yeah, I'll know which is which...

But otherwise, at my age I'm accustomed to doing pretty much what I like...and not worrying overmuch about extraneous ideas and activities that don't fit that 'pretty much what I like' parameter.

I'm keeping both...as is, or is that, as are?

• Like 2

For me a puck is more of a 922 piece than performance if I didn't need the part count item I wouldn't have bought one. I tell myself it'll work better to justify the $$$ spent.

My new one's a 4 port and shoots pretty good, just a tad sluggish with low brass.

Generally, the guys who make a living doing a thing, are the guys whose ideas are as a rule, the best way to approach a matter. Ever kill a hog? And butcher it? Don't even try without some kind of guidance. What looks easy at the butcher's, is anything but on your own hook.

If you aren't offended by the looks of the pagan Saiga 12, then leave it as is. If it shoots everything but low brass, buy and shoot only high brass. If it shoots well enough, then shoot it as is...

I have both converted and pagan Saiga 12's. Blindfold me, hand me one, and as far as shooting it is concerned, I can't see a hill of beans worth of difference. Won't know which is which without feeling the stock. Looking at them, fondling them, examining them closely, then yeah, I'll know which is which...

But otherwise, at my age I'm accustomed to doing pretty much what I like...and not worrying overmuch about extraneous ideas and activities that don't fit that 'pretty much what I like' parameter.

I'm keeping both...as is, or is that, as are?

I have a buddy who's 6'8" and runs his S12 unconverted, fits him great. I see it as a matter of preferance.

The bullshit sporterized version that is imported is the "conversion" from the correct AK form, and it's an abomination and an insult. So converting it is really un-converting it, or restoring it to it's proper configuration.

So you must do the restoration if you know the difference between right and wrong.