I've been thinking a great deal on the comeing storm I expect we'll all need to weather sooner rather than later... and i just keep going back to trying to find the perfect SHTF gun... or at least the best backup one can get to their AK/AR/Insert Semi Auto Choice Here

I know we've beat this horse to death... every firearms forum on the web has... but I've never seen anyone mention the gun I'm eyeballing as " perfect " at least as a backup to conserve ammo in your main.

I honestly want you guys opinions about it, and am interested in hearing what you guys see wrong with the idea... the more eyes on something, the faster it is to see the flaws ......

Thompson Contender Pistol base with quick change barrels for the most prolific ammo on the continant.....

You guys have seen these I know... they have the Bipods, Single shot with interchangeable barrels for everything from 17 to 22, 223, 9mm, 40 smith, 45, 30.06, 308, hell they make barrels for just about everything

If you were to get one, and a few of the more common barrels you would be most likely to be able to " scrounge " ammo for... with a good 3x9 scope on top in quick release mounts so it could move instantly from barrel to barrel...

The barrels themselves dont take up much room or have much weight... you could carry quite a few in the space most others would carry 2 mags for their main rifle...

This assumes your not going to be running up and down the streets spraying your AK at anything that moves, but rather hitting the bush, avoiding contact when possible, useing whatever ammo you find in abandoned farmhouses and battlefield requisitioned to survive. Conserving that big AK for when your backed into a corner and cant get by with the single shot... or even ditching it once you hit the brush

Seems to me it would be a solid choice light, easy to carry... easy to shoot, very little to break down, flexable in the roles it could fill... and would give you near unlimited ability to use any ammo you found.

Get ya one of those good padded leather roll up knife cases for the barrels, and just stuff the extras in the bottom of your pack till needed.

what am i missin? why are these things not more popular with the preparedness folks?

Interested in hearing what you guys think

As far as a rifle maybe the MGI hydra modular AR platform since you can swap just about anything on it (barrels, mag wells, etc...) A good pump shot gun is hard to beat for a good general purpose gun. A good hand gun goes a long way when it come to protecting yourself with out drawing a lot of attention.

If you were to get one, and a few of the more common barrels you would be most likely to be able to " scrounge " ammo for... with a good 3x9 scope on top in quick release mounts so it could move instantly from barrel to barrel...

No one is going to 'scrounge' for anything if SHTF. What you have is what you've got. If you can afford it, buy whatever you want... but if money is a limiting factor buy ammo for guns you have instead of different barrels for ammo you don't.

• Like 3

Indy, it is..... LOL

though, not for the reasons your implying =o) its my RL nickname.... sorry boss, i'm a 6'2 knuckle dragging redneck ex-biker/truck driver ..... the name stuck from an old CB handle

/shrug

I used to have a programmable CB that would make an announcement every time i keyed up the Mic, the voice software back in the day wouldn't pronounce it right with any other spelling

Edited by datrowl
  • Like 1

Realistically it doesn't have to have just one as long as you are bugging in, but to the average guy I would recommend covering your bases with an AK or AR, 12 gauge, .22 and a Glock.

That should cover you for most issues you will encounter as long as you have plenty of ammo for each - remember that a gun without ammo is a threatening paperweight with only as much knockdown power as your pitching arm will provide.

If for some reason I could only have one gun it would be a pump shotgun. It's not going to be the absolute best weapon for any one task, but it can effectively fill the roll of any task you would need a firearm for.

I second this notion. From slugs to hollow slugs filled with various things (i.e. mercury) from sabots to flechettes, from buckshot to birdshot to this...

http://www.firequest...otgun-ammo.html

Coupled with a 7+1 Remington or Mossberg pistol grip pump 12 gauge with folding stock, a side saddle, an EOTech, tritium front post, a pressure switch tactical light and green laser and a sling that holds slugs. This would be my SHTF weapon of choice If I could only grab one. My p220 Sig .45 would be at my chest.

Edited by fffpatriot

Realistically it doesn't have to have just one as long as you are bugging in, but to the average guy I would recommend covering your bases with an AK or AR, 12 gauge, .22 and a Glock.

That should cover you for most issues you will encounter as long as you have plenty of ammo for each - remember that a gun without ammo is a threatening paperweight with only as much knockdown power as your pitching arm will provide.

I'd throw the glock at the wall and then shoot when they look to see what the noise is LOL

I'd throw the glock at the wall and then shoot when they look to see what the noise is LOL

Haters gonna Hate. biggrin.png

Like the AK, I am waiting for another platform to be proven as reliable that will last as long and in adverse conditions. It may not be for everyone, but I trust it!

• Like 3

the good ole 12 guage 870 pump is hard to beat.i have a 20" smooth bore with chokes so its used for everything from buckshot to slugs. the ak, of course comes in second, and the plr16 is short ,accurate , and shoots 5.56 but will deafen you instantly indoors would come in third. pistols lose out in this one for me

• Like 1

i dont know about an ultimate. but several will fill a large roll that fall into many capabilities. for me, if i could only take one long gun, it'd prlly be an AK. and handgun id have to take my glock or desert eagle. the good thing about a shotgun is that few weapons offer the destructive capabilities found in a 12ga.

and like risky said, what you have on hand is essentially all you will have, unless you find someone willing to barter. i wouldnt take the risk of what if, or assume you will find more from dead bodies. chances are, when you come across the dead, you'll likely come across what it was that killed them to begin with. and if your scrounging for ammo, a firefight wouldnt be wise.

but back on track, as long as i feel comfortable and have confidence in a weapon, then i feel i can utilize it and get maximum performance from what it has to offer. use the right tool for the job. (if able to).

WTF IS shtf? I see this term thown around way to often lately. Are you talking Mad Max, Katrina, or what's going on in the Middle East on our shores. Anything less than Mad Max, walking down the street with a long gun is going to make you a huge target. If I were a sniper protecting my property and you were strolling down the road openly packing it's going to be a short walk as you are now a high priority target. Even higher if security forces are involved. Pistols are easy hide making you a lesser threat at the time. The question is just makes me a bit nuts after seeing it so many times as there is no real correct answer. You just have to adapt to the situation and enviroment. In general, whatever it might be, I'd want it to go bang every time I pull the trigger with a low rate of parts failure. As much as anything else, good friends are important.

• Like 6

Not sure anyone got the jest of the actual post, I wasen't asking for opinions on other guns so much as trying to start a discussion of the strengths and limitations of the contender package for a dedicated person in the bush trying to avoide contact and densely populated areas... more a long term solution to what happons when you finally realise that the shit has hit the fan, its not gonna get fixed any time soon, and your AK will hunt deer till the 3 mags you have left in your chest rig run dry... by then alot of homes are gonna be empty, especially out in the stix where it would be easier for maruding bands of thugs to kill a small family for the food in their pantry... everyone i know of has ammo for a gun they no longer own, or in an undesireable caliber for a survival gun and thus picked over and left behind so as to not have to carry the extra weight....

I guess I'm more concerned with TEOTWAWKI and not SHTF.... It just seems to me to be an easy way to cover ALOT of bases all at once.

For the weight of 1 AK and 2 loaded mags, you could instead have the ability to shoot 5 to 7 different cartridges in the most likely to be found sizes.. not saying you couldnt carry a box of 30.06 and a brick of 22 with ya as well....

easier way to put it.... do you want a hammer.... or a whole toolbox? the hammer without question will drive a nail better than the flat side of a wrench... but the toolbox will get the nail driven somehow, and still be useful when your outta nails.

hard to explaine I guess..... sorry to have brought it up again

• Like 1

Datrowl-The main problem with the contenders is that you have only one shot. I don't know if you've ever shot rifle caliber pistols but it takes an extreme amount of practice to be proficient with them. If your really stuck on the rifle caliber pistol idea check out a Savage Striker, at least you'll have a quicker reload.

20-Mags-I really like that Russian cosmonaut gun! Pretty nifty huntin gun.

A few thoughts on this subject.

-Your chances of finding ammo just laying around in a SHTF scenario is slim, stock up and stack deep.

-A shotgun is nice until you step outside......then the rifle trumps it hands down.

-Shotgun ammo is HEAVY and bulky, Confucius say "he who has the most ammo will win the fight when the other runs out".

-if your so Chuck Norris that it hurts and can see in to the future to be able to select special shotgun ammunition for a specific situation.........then you shouldn't even be having this conversation on the internet but instead saving the citizens of Gotham.

If your really hell bent on having the ability to shoot a bunch of different kinds of ammunition there are much better ways and platforms to achieve this. Example:My Glock 20 shoots 10mm, 9x25 Dillon, .40 S&W and .357SIG with a simple barrel change.

As 20-mags points out, there are plenty of revolvers out there that can switch up calibers.

Examples:

-Taurus raging Judge-45lc/410ga/454 Casuall

-S&W Governor-45lc/410ga/45ACP

-Ruger LCR-38 Special/.357 Magnum

-S&W 460-460/454/45lc

Rifles. There are a few options out there. I had an MGI upper for a few years and switched back and forth between 458 SOCOM, 6.8SPCII, 300BLK and 5.56 barrels it was a whole lot more convenient then buying a bunch of different rifles. For an example of what I'm talking about use the search function and type "mr. potato head". I've heard some not so good things about MGI lately though so be forewarned! There is always just using a different upper on your AR lower to. My buddy recently put together a pretty sweet setup consisting of a 16" 5.56 upper for 0-300 and a 24" 6.5 Grendel upper for reaching out and touching at a distance, I finally convinced him to get a CMMG .22lr kit for the 5.56 upper. I also use one of these with my AR pistol and have the bolt, mag and 250rds of ammo stuffed in to the bottom of SHTF bag, it adds so little weight I barely notice and makes for a great small game gatherer.

For you fellas suggesting he carry an AK, a shotgun and a .22lr...........that's alot of weight and ancillary gear to be carrying around, if your driving around cool but walking?! good luck.

Edit to add: I wrote all that while you were writing your post datrowl....sorry to spin off topic.

Edited by YARP
  • Like 3

a little off topic here, but something which occurred to me awhile ago is that it might be a good idea for this type of situation to also get a powerful bow with plenty of arrows and spare arrow heads. you can hunt deer indefinitely with that as long as you can retrieve your arrows. plus it wont make any noise to attract unwanted attention.

as for the topic of necessary firearms though, id have to agree, 12 gauge pump, reliable 22 rifle and some kind of reliable handgun would be the bare essentials.

+1 YARP.

I would recommend a box of 500 .22's (which will easily fit in your pocket - keep it dry in a ziplock or equivalent though) and a 10/22 any day over a Contender with 3 or more different caliber barrels and 40 rounds of each if you are in the bush hiding.

The advantage of knowing your terrain and the element of surprise is all you need to be successful at defending yourself. Plus it will put food on the table with proper shot placement (i.e. headshot) even on bigger game without the noise of a bigger caliber.

A successful ambush of a 2 legged threat will give you his supplies after you dispense of the threat.

My biggest issue with the Contender, as mentioned above, is the single shot capability. All the various ammo in the world does you little good if you have to constantly reload in a fire fight. Beyond that, the concept is good but the weight to capability is only acceptable if you're bugging-in. I'd rather have an extra 60rnds of x39 than a handful of barrels in my rig anyday.

In a TEOTWAWKI situation, if you find the ammo, you're more than likely to find the gun that shoots it as well. Or several that can be canabalized to make one work.

And for hunting, I plan on going with a crossbow, bolts are half the size of arrows thereby easier to make and carry, and they are quicker to fire the first shot. There are reasons Vikings used bows for raiding and crossbows for hunting/seige warfare.

• Like 1

A .22 would be more valuable to have than anyone thinks. The cheap price of the ammo, the amount of rounds you can hold on you. The magazine or tube magazine capacity of most .22's are pretty high. The .22 can kill most small game like birds, rabbits, squirrels, and maybe even pests like skunks, rats, and maybe a rabid dog. I would definitely have a .22 as one of my SHTF guns along with my AK, my Mosin Nagant, and my Saiga 12. All are very good guns and each have their own individual uses.

If you can find one, I would think that a Medusa revolver would be better then a Contender and multiple barrels for your stated goal. One gun that can chamber 25 different 9mm-ish cartridges without moon-clips (.380 ACP - .357 Magnum and possibly .357 Maximum...dunno about that one)

IF you can find one smile.png I've been lookin for one for awhile now

I've got an old mosin with a fresh bore and a scout scope that I did a full bedding job on, with it's 440 round spam can of ammo and a smattering of hunting rounds in my toolbox it would take any north american game and if used exclusively for hunting the ammo would hold out longer enough.

I've also got a decent single shot break open 12 gauge that will swallow anything from aquila short shells to 3 1/2" monsters, it can easily be reloaded with strike anywhere's and blackpowder with any projectiles I can find.

The companion to these is a couple of decent .22's and a butt load of ammo (not literally as a butt load is 2 hogsheads, or 4 barrels or 126 gallons take your pick)

These old clunkers are the sort of thing that will still be active years after my Saiga has cracked it's last magazine and 7.62 x 39/ .223 has long since been used up.

+1 for crossbows and pellet guns, our children will need them to get rats and cats.

More important than any of these are three often overlooked essentials... Hair dye, bandannas, spiked studs. In every post apocalyptic film a brief three days after the plague/war/asteroid all the bad guys and 40% of the good guys go all punk, dying hair bright colors tying bandannas to arms and legs and donning ineffective spike armor (usually involving tire tread or sports equipment). When teotwawki hits I will open a stall trading these goods for pets that folks can no longer feed and then I'll open a ranch "Preparehandbooks used cat and hamster emporium and barbecue" Look me up I'll be right in front of a burned out library.

• Like 3

I've got an old mosin with a fresh bore and a scout scope that I did a full bedding job on, with it's 440 round spam can of ammo and a smattering of hunting rounds in my toolbox it would take any north american game and if used exclusively for hunting the ammo would hold out longer enough.

I agree. its a rugged gun, I have been working on sporterizing mine. also as a added benefit, mosin's are cheap due to being common as air.

woot! just noticed this is my 100th post

Edited by Salt