2-Gun 7.62x39 AK vs .223/5.56 AR

I am a fairly new shooter and I am doing my homework on which rifle to buy for 2/3 gun and also just for fun. I want to get an AK, for no good reason other than I have always like the AK rifle since I was a kid, and I shoot a Saiga-12 and love it.

Now, when I got into Action Shotgun, I bought a Saiga-12 for the same reason, I just liked it. I ended up getting pretty competitive and thankfully I purchased a gun that helps me BE competitive.

So, from the guys I have spoken with at my range about an AK or AR, they pretty much say that its a scenario of either/or when taking a < 100yd shot. Once I start shooting over 100 yds the AR's will trample me unless I do a bit of work to the AK, which is not what I am looking to get into. These opinions came from AR guys.

If this is true, and it is due to the round type difference, my follow up question would be this: Could a possible compromise be a .223 AK?

So, I am reaching out to the Saiga community to ask the opinion of guys who shoot the AK's and can offer their expertise first hand.

Thank you your time.

Edited by Dafusco

Meh. Just get the right AK. I have a few milled guns that shoot a lot better than I do. If you're getting an AK because you've always liked them, might as well get it in 7.62x39, the original caliber, with a nice pretty pile of steel magazines.

Meh. Just get the right AK. I have a few milled guns that shoot a lot better than I do. If you're getting an AK because you've always liked them, might as well get it in 7.62x39, the original caliber, with a nice pretty pile of steel magazines.

Are you saying milled is more accurate?

As a general rule, a milled gun is more likely to be a more accurate rifle than a stamped gun. That said, I've seen some pretty damned accurate stamped guns, and a few shitty milled guns. The Norinco Hunter, sporterized Chinese milled rifle that's sort of like a proto-Saiga, is known for being very accurate.

I am a fairly new shooter and I am doing my homework on which rifle to buy for 2/3 gun and also just for fun. I want to get an AK, for no good reason other than I have always like the AK rifle since I was a kid, and I shoot a Saiga-12 and love it.

Now, when I got into Action Shotgun, I bought a Saiga-12 for the same reason, I just liked it. I ended up getting pretty competitive and thankfully I purchased a gun that helps me BE competitive.

So, from the guys I have spoken with at my range about an AK or AR, they pretty much say that its a scenario of either/or when taking a < 100yd shot. Once I start shooting over 100 yds the AR's will trample me unless I do a bit of work to the AK, which is not what I am looking to get into. These opinions came from AR guys.

If this is true, and it is due to the round type difference, my follow up question would be this: Could a possible compromise be a .223 AK?

So, I am reaching out to the Saiga community to ask the opinion of guys who shoot the AK's and can offer their expertise first hand.

Thank you your time.

Shoot what you want to shoot and have fun doing it.

There are guys who can hit better with their AK's than guys with their AR's, and vise versa.

All calibers have their gives and takes per their rifle platform, and the two guns you asked about are no different.

In the same hands, a crappy AK will shoot just as bad or good as a crappy AR.

Gun is as good as the shooter behind it....my AR however is much more accurate..the AK is just down-right menacing when it comes to stopping power...when talking accuracy..I am talking small difference when defending yourself...both will do the job

Well the Saigas have a reputation for better accuracy than most AKs. The reported factors to look at are first ammunition, lead core seems to be the best on average. Bullet weights seem to be all over the place depending on the gun. One guy reported his best accuracy was with 154 grain soft point hunting ammo. The other factor is vertical stringing as the barrel heats up, the harmonics change. Sometime a change to a heavier recoil brake/muzzle flash device will improve things. Utilimak fans report accuracy seems to increase after installation. It possibly acts as a heat sink and barrel stiffener. After that it is sights and trigger.