"load one shoot one" will hurt extractor?

Per range rule, I can only load one shoot one (use no magazine) when shooting single trap. My practice is to simply drop a shell into the breach end of the Saiga-12 barrel and release the bolt and then fire.

Last time I shot my friend's M&P 9, he advised me not to directly load a round into the pipe without using a magazine. He told me this will hurt the extractor.

Now I'm worried about my Saiga-12. Will it hurt the extractor to load a shell directly from the breach end without a magazine?

I have never heard of this, I do it sometimes for test loads that I make, ie. cut shells, and wax shells.

The extractor will get the same use with a mag as hand load. I do find it easyer to load 1 at a time

from the bottom through the mag slot than the ejection port.

"Combat loading through the ejection port" is the proper terminology, me thinks.bad_smile.gif

I have to point the muzzle down to load the shell from the mag slot or I'd risk dropping it. Not very efficient in combat I suppose. :(

That's why I always wanted to buy a Mossberg 590 just to play with the "combat reload" imitating the fancy moves in Magpul Shotgun Dynamic

the reason your buddy says not to do it on his M&P is that during a normal feeding operation, the rim of the cartridge slides up behind the extractor.

when you drop one in the chamber and release the slide, the extractor has to climb over the edge of the rim, going beyond the range of motion designed. i've seen 1911 extractors break from this practice.

there's plenty of travel on my S12's extractor to clear the rim on a shell. check yours to make sure and you'll never have to worry again.

the reason your buddy says not to do it on his M&P is that during a normal feeding operation, the rim of the cartridge slides up behind the extractor.

when you drop one in the chamber and release the slide, the extractor has to climb over the edge of the rim, going beyond the range of motion designed. i've seen 1911 extractors break from this practice.

there's plenty of travel on my S12's extractor to clear the rim on a shell. check yours to make sure and you'll never have to worry again.

meaning.... since the S12 extractor is spring-loaded and tapered at the front, it is designed to climb over and override the rim, so dropping one in the chamber and release the slide won't hurt a thing. Am I correct?

I think that's corrrect as well. The "exterior claw" (my term!) extractor on the S12 bolt is completely different from the extractor design of many semi-auto pistols.

I've also heard about an old, Mexican shooting contest with a .45 auto, where you hold 5 or 10 loose rounds in your left hand, put an emty magazine in the pistol with the slide locked-back, then drop a round in, drop the slide, fire, repeat. Whoever shoots the fastest wins! :eek: That might be a little hard on the extractors!

meaning.... since the S12 extractor is spring-loaded and tapered at the front, it is designed to climb over and override the rim, so dropping one in the chamber and release the slide won't hurt a thing. Am I correct?

that's what i'm saying is the case for mine. i would imagine it is the case for all S12's but you never know...

if you check yours, you'll know for sure and letting go of the carrier will not bother you in the least.

Yes, the extractor doesnt engage the rim until the shell is seated in the chamber. Thats why when you slowly ride the bolt into battery, there is that little bit of hang up right before it fully locks up. That is the spring loaded extractor climbing over the rim. SOP for an AK.

Pauly (i'm sure others too) tweaks the extractor spring for a smoother engagement of the rim, drastically reducing the hang up before full lock up.

It's a Saiga. The extractor is built like a Russian tank. There is nothing delicate there. Hell, if a shell gets stuck bad enough they have been known to tear off a piece of rim from a steel hull. It is only the expen$ive autoloaders that start with a B that have weak assed extractors.

• Like 2

It's a Saiga. The extractor is built like a Russian tank. There is nothing delicate there. Hell, if a shell gets stuck bad enough they have been known to tear off a piece of rim from a steel hull. It is only the expen$ive autoloaders that start with a B that have weak assed extractors.

The whole gun is built out of a Russian tank!

+1 I learned this the hard way!

Per range rule, I can only load one shoot one (use no magazine) when shooting single trap. My practice is to simply drop a shell into the breach end of the Saiga-12 barrel and release the bolt and then fire.

Last time I shot my friend's M&P 9, he advised me not to directly load a round into the pipe without using a magazine. He told me this will hurt the extractor.

Now I'm worried about my Saiga-12. Will it hurt the extractor to load a shell directly from the breach end without a magazine?

bs i Daily carry a M&P9c and never heard of this, i always load one in the chamber by hand so that when i carry i have 12+1 never had a problem she is as reliable as she was 3 years ago