Hk sights or Titan

I have the titan and I like like it, you get the option to mount a red dot that can cowitness also. The sights are pretty high off the gun though, I am ok with it for now but I might get a cheek riser later. Someone will have to chime in, but I think the wielded sites will sit lower.

The titan is the coolest looking rail, but when you get down to it a rail is for mounting things on. Do you want to clamp stuff all over your gun? Does your gun feel to light?

My two cents is get whatever makes you drool. I like the front sight from the AK set, but I would rather have an aperture (ghost ring) in the back. I bet you could scrounge the pieces individually and put that together if you are doing the welding. Then comes the issue of tritium, or whatever. It seems a bit pricey to spend almost $200 and not even have night sights.

The main thing I am worried about is if Scheels screws something up and my gas block gets warped. I have no need for a quad rail but I would rather just pay another $40-$50 for the Titan rather than being without the gun for almost 2 months and possibly getting it screwed up by somebody that has never worked on a saiga.

The titan is the coolest looking rail, but when you get down to it a rail is for mounting things on. Do you want to clamp stuff all over your gun? Does your gun feel to light?

My two cents is get whatever makes you drool. I like the front sight from the AK set, but I would rather have an aperture (ghost ring) in the back. I bet you could scrounge the pieces individually and put that together if you are doing the welding. Then comes the issue of tritium, or whatever. It seems a bit pricey to spend almost $200 and not even have night sights.

Honestly my main reason for buying the titan was because it made me drool lol. I only plan to mount a forward grip on it. It did add some weight but it also seemed to lesson the recoil or I am just getting better at controlling the gun. It didn't cause any cycling issues. It actually helped me realize how crooked my gas block was. I tapped it over a bit with a mallet and it actually cleared the gas block from partially obstructing one of my 3 ports. After that and some slight polishing my gun runs federal bulk like a champ. I honestly wouldn't pay someone to install the sites unless you know for a fact they do good work.

Early on I decided I wanted to replace the factory sights on the S12. Dovetail rear sight was easy to remove, but the front sight on the gas block - different story. I won't have a sight that needs to be welded. I like having options.

I love the ghost ring setup that came stock on my Weatherby, and found the Saiga ones to be sorely lacking. I quickly discovered there were no good solutions (for me) which did not require a rail, and options for a rail over the dust cover were few. When I saw the Titan, I knew my search was over. The H&K sights work well for me - for now. Bonus points for them being rail-mounted and thus removable if/when I find something I like better. I also have the option to put the red dot from my AR on the S12. The only other thing I'm mounting to the Titan is an AFG with ladder rail covers for the rest.

I did get the Molot GK-01 brake for the cool/drool factor, but as it turns out it also served to reduce the muzzle lift quite a bit.

Wanting to get hk sights put on my gun. Scheels said they could put them on for $85 so it would be around $190 total. Trying to decide if I should do that or buy the Titan rail for just a little bit more.

Scheels?

I wouldn"t let those guys touch anything I have. They tried ripping me off in Coralville.

Is there a reason why you're limited to Scheels for getting HK sights installed, even though you say they have no experience performing the work you'd be paying them to?

There are vendors on this forum and elsewhere that do good work of this type on Saigas, so why settle for unneccessary risk?

I looked into the available options for HKs on an S12, but frankly, I didn't want the extra bulk, weight, complications, etc of a quad rail. A weld-on job by a competent smith is what I settled on. HKs with the XS rear ghost ring/front tritium post work for me.

I have the HK weld ons on The Beast but have opted for the Krebs Bolt on front sight with a modified rear peep dovetail sight I got from Brownells on The Behemoth....

The rear peep is the bullseye style which is quick and easy to get a sight picture thru, and the Krebs front sight I replaced the post with the hooded crosshair post... allows for quick shots useing the outer circle of the bullseye sight and the inner circle of the front sight and when I need to hit a target at distance I use the inner circle on the bullseye sight and the wire crosshair pattern on the front sight.... bout the best setup i've come up with and I've seen more than a few

the rear bullseye sight had to be filed down a bit to fit, that took all of 3 minuts....actually took me longer to replace the front sight post on the Krebs cause my AR sight tool wouldn't fit over the hooded duplex post and I had to depress the button with a punch and turn 1/4 turn at a time with a pair of needle nose.

Love the set up though.... nearing completion with the build, will post pics when I get her closer

Edited by datrowl

The only reason i went to scheels is they are really close & I just haven't had the time to check out the other local places which i will be doing. I emailed Tromix & Tony said the next time they are taking orders is June 1 and depending on when I place the order it could be anywhere from 2 months to 18 months, I don't want to be without the gun all summer. When I can find the time i'm just going to start calling and emailing around and go with whoever sounds the best. If it's going to take months i'll just wait for next winter to get it done.

Tony's almost always got a lot of work on his plate. If a person is willing to wait however, IMHO, it's certainly worth it. Before he changed his ordering schedule, the wait time to get a gun in for him to work on at times could be measured in years.. My S12 was at his shop for 3 weeks, maybe. He'll give you a call to send it in when he's close to ready for it.

Otherwise, you might try checking into the other vendors here like Red Jacket, etc and see who does work of this kind. I know RJ does, I'm sure there are others too. If you find a local place that says they can do it, see if they can provide pictures of others like it that they've done.