Sooo... can i take a deer?

.223 in local shop. $500 3 mags, scope and mount. some ammo... Gun retails new for $400 here.

its the 20in. with high quality ammo could the .223 take a whitetail with a good placement under 125yrds

im not an avid hunter. i go but mostly just sit and relax. if a great shot in good range presents itself i would like to take it.

can polishing the internals improve the rifle?

Thanks in advance for any info....

Yes, you can take a deer with the .223. One thing to note is that you should check your state regulations because some states don't allow the .223 caliber to be used for "big" game. I live in Oklahoma and it's legal here. Good luck!

.223 in local shop. $500 3 mags, scope and mount. some ammo... Gun retails new for $400 here.

its the 20in. with high quality ammo could the .223 take a whitetail with a good placement under 125yrds

im not an avid hunter. i go but mostly just sit and relax. if a great shot in good range presents itself i would like to take it.

can polishing the internals improve the rifle?

Thanks in advance for any info....

I know the round will kill a deer if it's a head shot. Of course, if you're horn hunting it would suck. I'm sure it would kill eventually with a good body shot, but I wouldn't want to have to track it until the deer co-operated. The bullet is just too small unless it's a head shot for me to try. The 7.62x39 now is great for deer.

Polishing won't make it more accurate, but of course make the trigger smoother.

• Like 2

I would be wanting to check the twist rate, 1:8 would better stabilize heavier bullets.

While the 1:9 will technically stabilize up to 73gr, YMMV wildly.

The Remington Power-Shok 64gr SP is pretty damned good, and will easily take deer at 125yds with emphasis on shot placement for a quick/clean kill.

And as Bchance says, check your State Laws pertaining to minimum caliber for deer and other game animals.

Polishing can help, if there is grittiness or a heavy pull.

Much care must be taken when modifying any trigger... Please, know what you're doing or let a qualified gunsmith do it.

ETA: Wait we're talking Saiga here... What is the Saiga .223 twist rate?

Found it, 1:10, so anything heavier than 62-64gr will probably be pushing it, even with the 20" barrel.

Though I see many saying they shoot the 75gr just fine... I'd like to see targets at 100+ yards.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 2

good to go on the laws. again i would only be taking a good broadside behind shoulder shot.

so what is most you would put through as far a round is concerned?

As far as polishing is concerned i was thinking more of the bolt itself.... I dont think ill be getting into triggers anytime soon.

Edited by zeus1gdsm

...again i would only be taking a good broadside behind shoulder shot.

so what is most you would put through as far a round is concerned?

The Remington Power-Shok 64gr SP is pretty damned good, and will easily take deer at 125yds with emphasis on shot placement for a quick/clean kill.

Yes the .223 will put a deer down with a body shot. The .223 will tumble and come apart after the hit and do a good job with a behind the sholder hit.

In oregon 243 is the smallest caliber round for large game. when I was 11 years old I took down a bull elk with one shot. if leagal in your state I am shure 223 would do the trick on deer with a good shot.

Its got a nikon scope and the mount is just high enough where iron sights can still be used. Would 500see be a good price for this used? I figure by the time i bought all the stuff it has i will have broken the 500 mark..

Also... i cant tell if it is the 20aame inch.. im bringing a measuring tape before i pick it up.. if it turns out to be a 16in. Should that be a dealbreaker. Or is the velocity increase nominal to tje point where barrel length is cosmetic

....Also... i cant tell if it is the 20aame inch.. im bringing a measuring tape before i pick it up.. if it turns out to be a 16in. Should that be a dealbreaker. Or is the velocity increase nominal to tje point where barrel length is cosmetic

If your shooting at around 125 yards as stated in your initial post it should not be enough difference to notice.

In oregon 243 is the smallest caliber round for large game. when I was 11 years old I took down a bull elk with one shot. if leagal in your state I am shure 223 would do the trick on deer with a good shot.

Put a 300 blackout barrel in it!

So that he can do the same things that 7.62x39 does?

Last I checked the regulations for Oregon minimum caliber .22 Centerfire for Deer. Went ahead and reconfirmed my memory. Oregon 2012 Large Game regs lists on page 30 .22 cal Centerfire legal on all mammals with exception of .24 Centerfire minimum cal for Elk, Mt. Goat, and Big Horn Sheep.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/big_game/regulations/docs/2012_big_game_regs.pdf

Last I checked the regulations for Oregon minimum caliber .22 Centerfire for Deer. Went ahead and reconfirmed my memory. Oregon 2012 Large Game regs lists on page 30 .22 cal Centerfire legal on all mammals with exception of .24 Centerfire minimum cal for Elk, Mt. Goat, and Big Horn Sheep.

http://www.dfw.state...g_game_regs.pdf

I have been bow hunting for a long time now so I am behind on rifle regs. Once my brother and i found a 7mm slug in the sholder of a elk that compleatly healed over. Shot placement is the most important not the calaber.

just realize that with any bullet you risk putting the animal to a painful death, especially if it runs away and you have to track it. that can be a huge pain in the ass, more than a few end up underwater or as someone else's already-wounded game, possibly ruined meat, etc etc

be sure of your shots

• 3 weeks later...

I've taken a handful of whitetail in MD with my 16 inch Saiga. Mostly head shots but a few behind shoulder. I use the remington corelokt 55 grain bullets. I also took a 150 lb black bear 2 years ago with my saiga. That was a head shot at about 60 yards. Got a beautiful 5 1/2 foot rug. The bullets tend to explode inside the deer on rib cage shots. I havent shot one over 150 yards and I would not. The deer I have taken have dropped. Just be sure you take a good ethical shot and use good bullets and you will be fine. Good luck!