Starting my 7.62 saiga conversion

Im about to order parts on my first saiga conversion. I want to basically clone a yugo underfolder. I just wanted to make sure i have my parts list correct before i starting ordering things.

So far here is the list of parts ive figured i need

tapco g2 single hook trigger group

some kind of bolt on, do it yourself trigger guard. Not sure which one to go with

tapco saw style pistol grip

pistol grip bushing nut and screw

AK Screw Build Set (for replacing rear trunnion)

polish underfold stock and matching rear trunnion

Bullet Guide Kit

where would be the best place to oder this stuff? I heard good things about dinzag arms, but looking around at prices for the trigger groups, their price is almost double the other places. I will also need to get wood hand guards, but i figure ill concentrate on the main stuff for now.

Carolina Shooters Supply has most if not all of that. You can reuse the OEM trigger guard with a little work, if you don 't want to spend money on a new one.

Good luck, and have fun with the conversion.

And, welcome to the site from Colorado!

Edited by Foxtail207

im not planning to use rivets, im planning to tap everything and use screws. From what i understand, you need a jig for using rivets, which i don't have. For the trigger guard, i thought to reuse the factory trigger guard you had to cut off the end that goes in the pistol grip. Am i mistaken?

No, you cut off the extra at one end, but the front screw goes inside the mag release and the rear screw goes in the normal place. You have to carefully bend the trigger guard to get the spacing right. Of course I bought a new trigger guard at Carolina Supply for mine...

gotcha. I think i'll just reuse the old one.

The tapco trigger group says it needs modified slightly for use in the saiga. From what im figuring out this is because the saiga has the bolt hold open and a normal AK doesn't. So you must shave the hammer the thickness of the bolt hold open, so the BHO will fit in there. I heard some people say to just ditch the BHO because its useless. What exactly does the BHO do? Does it hold the bolt open when the mag is empty?

nm. found my answer on what it does on this thread

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/70420-bho-do-you-have-it/page__st__30

So does the tapco g2 need any modification if i ditch the BHO?

Edited by jimmy21

FYI, many times you don't have to shave the Tapco hammer. Shoot it enough and it will wear exactly how it needs to be. When I first installed mine, it would hang open if you pulled the charging handle back very slowly, but the slightest bump would let it slam shut again. During shooting I never had it hang open once, so give it a function test before modifying it.

As far as other modifications, You may need to file a little bit in front of the trigger itself, right where it meets flush with the bottom of the receiver. Also, if you order a double hook (a lot of times they are cheaper) you can just cut off the second hook instead of modifying the receiver. I don't see much gain of having a double hook anyways. It should be pretty apparent where you need to do this.

Edited by Dr.Danger

I just finished my conversion and didn't have to do any filing or grinding on the trigger group (single hook) or the hammer or the bolt hold open. everything went right in. As for the trigger guard, I went with the billet one, a little pricey but i really like the looks of it. Contrary to CSS videos the bolt hold open lever doesn't need notching either. I believe some of the 12 guage parts are a little different.Course im new at this also.

I used Dinzags bullet guide (which needed grinding on the sides to fit flat) and all the rest came from CSS which dropped right in.

Edited by Straydog

well i finally picked up a rifle. Figured out the gun store i was going to buy from was pretty high. Got it for 389. I also ordered a bunch of parts from mississippi arms. Now i just gotta wait for everything to get here. Im having trouble with my gunbroker account, so i gotta figure out a way to order my underfolding stock and rear trunnion. Gunbroker won't let me use a debit card and i don't own an actual credit card. So who knows

• Like 1

from what i understand, if you reuse the trigger guard, you only get to use one bolt, instead of 2? Is that true? I don't mind little work to save some money, but only if it turns out solid and looks good. Am i missinformed?

Assuming you take care to not ruin the old trigger guard while removing it, you can heat the front end of it, and bend the mounting tab backward. It will then bolt into the existing hole behind the mag latch, just like the Tapco part.