Changing original saiga handguard to standard ak handguard....

So I want to change the original handguard on my saiga and put one that you see on other ak's. I've done some research and did see that i would have to get a few new parts. I'm not sure if im correct, but can any one help and tell me what do i need to convert it properly and also how much will this cost me?

Original 7.62x39 Saiga...

post-39513-0-35468900-1330918604_thumb.jpg

....and this is what I want my Saiga to look like

post-39513-0-48280200-1330918615.jpg

Also, what do I need to do if I want to allow my saiga to take regular ak magazines? Im a new shooter and would appreciate help from more experienced shooters.

Edited by mslick1

New gas tube

Lower hand guard retainer

Upper and lower hand guards

Thats just for the hand guard conversion.

If you want a complete front end like the picture you posted, you will need (including the above)...

New gas block with lug

New FSB

Muzzle brake

The ability and will to drill out dimples, press or cut old parts off, press new parts on, align parts and drill for the barrel retainer pins for the new GB and FSB.

Might help...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/75118-front-end-conversion-for-762/

Edited by Mullet Man

Yea, I bought my gas tube and ak74 gas block from them for my front end conversion.

EDIT: To answer your questions about AK mags, I would go with the Dinzag bullet guide. http://www.dinzagarm...iga_762x39.html . You will need a bullet guide and some minor adjustments to your mag catch to accept AK mags.

You'll have to find out if you have a round or flat trunnion, but that's simple enough.

EDIT 2: All in all, its going to cost a nice chunk of change for the whole front end conversion + pistol grip conversion. I haven't kept track of my current conversion, but its an standard ak-103 clone, and I'm coming about to about 450 for all parts.

Edited by DiminishTX

Just one other thing. If you're a new shooter with not much know-how, make sure you understand the 922r compliance law that you will need to follow before you go off buying parts.

http://www.dinzagarms.com/922r/922r.html

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

This is a good starting point to understanding this. Just make sure you are staying compliant throughout the conversion because it's kind of a big deal...

• Like 1

Just noticed you're in Commiefornia. I believe you should join a website called Calguns.net (if i'm not mistaken) before modding your Saiga to accept surplus magazines. Your state has some very retarded gun laws and you need to learn them so you dont end up in Pelican Bay.

• Like 1

Just noticed you're in Commiefornia. I believe you should join a website called Calguns.net (if i'm not mistaken) before modding your Saiga to accept surplus magazines. Your state has some very retarded gun laws and you need to learn them so you dont end up in Pelican Bay.

Yeah I know sucks we can only have 10 round mags. I was considering regular AK mags on my Saiga because they are way cheaper! I cant get 30 mags here so I have no intentions of getting into serious trouble with the law. If its going to cost me too much I guess i can only stick with the saiga mags.

im confused what the differences are between an ak gas block and front site. Is the difference that the new gas block would give you a bayo lug and the front site would give you the provisions for a cleaning rod?

Saiga parts are pressed and dimpled onto the barrel. Traditional, non neutered AK barrel parts are pinned in place.

The Saiga gas block and FSB's do not have provisions for the cleaning rod and bayonet mounts (lugs). They are a non sporting item that has no use/purpose on a "sporting rifle" such as a Saiga.

• Like 1

I agree completely with this statement. Tons of folks over there that are in the know about this state and retarded laws!

• Like 1

I agree completely with this statement. Tons of folks over there that are in the know about this state and retarded laws!

I am a fellow Kommefornian, and in law enforcement. I agree with the Calguns referral. If you are too busy or lazy to serf that site, here it is in a nutshell:

You are fine to do the full conversion to traditional AK mags as long as you 1: Do not have a 'protruding pistol grip,' which can be legally dealt with in a couple different ways (google "featureless grip"), and

2: Do not ever attach a magazine capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.

If you MUST have a protruding pistol grip, then you can still have 10 rd cap traditional AK mags, but the mag release MUST be modified to require a tool, thus rendering it a 'fixed magazine.' (google "AK bullet button"). Some CA shooters have become quite adept at mag changes using these devices, and Calguns will have links to videos, etc. for this.

Many owners use what are referred to as '10/30' mags, which are traditional 30 rd magazines blocked to only accept 10 rds, and requiring tools to remove the block. This gives you the look and feel of the traditional AK, while still in compliance, and if social order ever breaks down to the point that these laws are mute, you can do the unspeakable to use the mag as intended.

Hope this helps...and have fun...as much as you are legally allowed to anyhow