Changing a welded on FSB

Ok guys. Im ready to finish the conversion on my x39. But I have one major issue.

My rifle went back to Cadiz gunworks for warranty work becuase the FSB was terribly canted. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/59714-hello-folkssaiga-sight-issue/

Tom fixed it mostly(still slightly off but im happy with it) but the only problem is he welded the new one were the dimples are. They must of drilled the dimples, straighted the base and just weleded up the holes.

My plan is to just drill the welds gently increasing bit size over and over being careful not to contact the barrell. I do have a drill press so at least I can be steady and even.

My question is, does this seem like the best plan of attack. If not what would you recommend?

Your in for a long haul. with this one. I don't see how your going to do this without either drilling into at least some of the barrel or destroying the gas block.

A proper weld in those areas fuses more metal than the original opening, on top of originaly having the dimpled area in the barrels to increase welded surface area.

Looked into bolt on handguard retainers? maybe use a chaos rail on the front end?

Your in for a long haul. with this one. I don't see how your going to do this without either drilling into at least some of the barrel or destroying the gas block.

A proper weld in those areas fuses more metal than the original opening, on top of originaly having the dimpled area in the barrels to increase welded surface area.

Looked into bolt on handguard retainers? maybe use a chaos rail on the front end?

What if I just dremeled away the front sight base along were the welds are(were dimples used to be) using a drum sander instead of a cutoff and keep stopping to whack the fsb until moved free?

Eta: destroying the fsb is fine with me and As I can just get a bulgy 74 base from markw1

Edited by hutchsaiga

15f74695.jpg

a8e9227f.jpg

as requested. dont mind the cut in the base i was in the process of checking for threads when i took the pics.

i think i should be able to just drill them out largerand larger without going to deep in to the barrell and press it and GB off with my pressanger.gif

Ok guys not going to lie and say I was easy.

Cuz it wasn't. Whole lot of dremeling and I just beat it off. The press wasn't needed.

I made one screw up and gouged my barrel pretty good. Its about an 1/8 of the depth of the factory drill spots for the dimples so I think it should be fine. But am taking suggestions from you guys if it shoul be welded up

39cfe428.jpg

92168221.jpg

cc4c3b2d.jpg

Edited by hutchsaiga

I'm gunna get some more flux and solder it smooth. I'm not worried about integrity of the barrell. It's two fingernails thickness deep. Far less than an 1/8th inch

If it wasn't for the welds I wouldn't of had to cut that deep. But it's off now. So be it.

Edited by hutchsaiga

wouldn't the new FSB and muzzle device will hide almost all of it anyway?

Yup it covers it completely.

I just doesn't know much about barrell pressures and what not. Especially towards the muzzle. I assume it's less at the muzzle but I'm just looking for other opinions.

It's Maybe about a 1/16" deep

iwwai (I Wouldn't Worry About It).

The cut for the standard 3mm pin is much deeper than that.

If you are going to lose sleep over it then braze it with some 1100°F >56% silver solder then file it flush.

Then press the new FSB over the now flush barrel(well at least one side would be flush the other would still have dimples).

Ordered all my parts from markw1 here in the for sale threads. Updates with pics soon!

Also, does anyone know the best price for a Bulgy 74 bayonet? I found centerfire for $35 shipped. But I feel like I can do better than that.

iwwai (I Wouldn't Worry About It).

The cut for the standard 3mm pin is much deeper than that.

If you are going to lose sleep over it then braze it with some 1100°F >56% silver solder then file it flush.

Then press the new FSB over the now flush barrel(well at least one side would be flush the other would still have dimples).

Awesome point I forgot how deep the pin channels get drilled.

Thank you for your help. I'm just going to throw my new FSB right over it

Now, Hutch...you could have saved all the wondering by just using some JB Weld! :D

Ok got my Parts and made some serious headway today

I removed the pin and made a slice in my gasblock(didn't touch the barrell on this one;)) then I whacked it with a chisel till it looked like thisc53b41bf.jpg

Next was putting the handguard on, gettin the placement for the notch, then filing and a little paint70991f4d.jpg

Next I got my gas block on as straight as I could. And pounded the pin in the hole that already existed for the old one670b1ed4.jpg

Then I started working on the brake because I was tired of those damn pins

I drilled out the hole just avoid any bullet strikes. Probably not necessary.becuase the whole was larger than 7.62mm, But better safe than sorry 45f3a494.jpg

I wanted a spent case to fit in the whole that way I knew I would have plenty of clearance defbeec4.jpg6913ce1e.jpg

Then I put a little never seize where the FSB goes(which I also did for the gasblock)f2a1ccbe.jpg

and pounded it on and started to get everything lined up210d51c3.jpg

Then i called it a day.

I have a 20ton press but didn't use it at all. Just used a 2x4 and heavy brass hammer. My gasblock seems canted quite a bit to me, and I may knock out both pins, reposition, redrill, and repin. But I'm not sure yet. The bolt and carrier still move fine with our binding in the gasblock or tube at all. So I think it's really just ashtetic at this point

Edited by hutchsaiga

I got a ak74 bayonet from markw1 today. And I have a quick question about these.

It's unissued and in perfect condition. But fits very sloppily onto my rifle. It clicks in and retains well but rattles enormously side to side. How much are these things supposed to move??

BTW I was able to tighten up my muzzle brake a lot by filing some material off the back so the plunger would click into the next notch. And its tight enough to be sufficient now

I fired it today and my FSB is a little canted but I only drilled one pin so I can straighten and reposition it.