Narrowed down to (3) Rifles.. Which one to get?

Also it looks like Daniel Defense is having trouble keeping up with the demand - everyone is sold out! Found 1 place that does have them in stock though.

The mad dash has started again my friend. Folks are scared that if/once Mao is re-elected, evil black guns are going to vanish.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/03/04/gun-sales-boom-in-expectation-of-obama-re-election/

This election has me worried, and I normally don't worry that much.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120302/NEWS0802/703029969

Yakdung

ok so there are a lot of responses saying to buy the lower/upper seperately so I'm trying to compare buying Spikes Tactical lower/upper to buying a Daniel Defense complete rifle. Here's what I came up with...

If you buy a complete weapon the seller is required to collect 11% Federal excise tax. This also means that if you buy all the parts that compose a gun from a vendor the vendor will have to collect the tax.

Edited by KevinInNM

CBR don't take this the wrong way, but why not get a IZ-114 for around 400. Put 400 into conversion and still have plenty left over for ammo. Besides you can use any .223 / 5.56 and the IZ-114 won't care. But if you dead set on an AR, you have great feedback from others.

not overly fond of the AR platform nor the 556/223 round.... I'd be all in for a good 5.45 and spend the left over on about 6 crates of ammo while its easily gotten... I just can't make myself like the AR over a quality AK and haveing said that I own 3 ARs....

I know folks preach the ergos of the AR but with the Krebs safty, Ram double tab Mag release, Tromix chargeing knob, Veltor tube and Magpul stock.... the ergos of the AK get pretty damn nice.

If i had to suggest one of the above 3, it would be the piston gun, but for that same money, I think you can build a hell of alot better piston AR.... /shrug

Edited by datrowl

RRA all the way. They have a model I think it's called the Combo hunter? It's got an 18" barrel a shot .25" in rifle firepower magazine. That freaking amazing but more of a snipe weapon than combat carbine.

I'm starting to wonder if there is no "right" answer to this.. For one, many people here have said that buying parts seperately will save you a lot of money. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I put together an AR from Spikes Tactical website and to get even close to what the Daniel Defense M4 V5 has I'd have to spend the same amount of money. $1250 out the door is what I can get the DDM4 V5 for. Maybe someone can give me an example of a rifle that has at least close to the same specs at the DD but is significantly less expensive.

I'm starting to wonder if there is no "right" answer to this.. For one, many people here have said that buying parts seperately will save you a lot of money. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I put together an AR from Spikes Tactical website and to get even close to what the Daniel Defense M4 V5 has I'd have to spend the same amount of money. $1250 out the door is what I can get the DDM4 V5 for. Maybe someone can give me an example of a rifle that has at least close to the same specs at the DD but is significantly less expensive.

Spikes' stuff is more expensive on their site, compared to vendors who sell Spikes stuff (Like AIMSurplus). I just priced out a complete AR with Spikes stripped lower, complete DD upper, CMMG lower parts kit, Magpul MOE stock (same as CTR minus friction lock and QD swivel) for $980. You can go even less if you were to use a "cosmetic blem" Spikes lower, or wait until PSA puts theirs on sale for $50.

Or even lower again, if you're not dead set on a rail system. Spikes' complete middy uppers with Magpul MOE handguards are only $499, compared to the $750 DD upper I used in the example above. The rail alone makes a $250 difference. Hell, even going with the MOE handguard version and then swapping in a nice drop-in rail system like Troy for $150 still makes a $100 difference over the DD upper.

Have you checked out Palmetto State Armory (PSA that I mentioned above)? They have great prices on complete uppers and you can select options (like rails) when you buy it.

• Like 1

I think Spikes also has discounts for arfcom members for 5% off with coupon code "ARFCOM".

AIM Surplus is where I get most of my Spikes gear and but they are SOLD OUT on most uppers right now. The uppers there from Spikes also come with the heavy buffer and MilSpec tubes are cheap there to save some of the cost of putting that CTR stock on it (just need a spring, castle nut and whatever plate your heart desires).

Edited by BuffetDestroyer

All three are good choices. I have owned both piston and direct impingment. Like both but the piston is cleaner and runs cooler by light years. Take a look at the CMMG lepII piston, cmmg direct impingment, and the stag arms piston and stag ar models they are extremely good weapons. I have owned both at one time or another. Shotguns for HD and AR/AKs for SHTF HD rifles good choices. Now, I am looking for .308 version AR and AK and a .300 win mag/.338 lapua mag bolt action for distance. and a 7.62x54r ak vepr would be cool. However, money does't grow on trees unless you are Obama/Fed Res./Fed govt.

Edited by Guns Are Great

Money does grow on trees that's what gas is 4$ a gal. Haha. Vote Ron paul. Had to stick that in there. Anyway. You could get a delton mid upper chromed kit shipped for 525. And add whatever lower and rear sight you want and come away with a good gun for less than 650. No rails though. I got the delton mid light weight barrel and chromed lined that was not a off the shelf upper so it took about three weeks. That price is a complete kit just add your lower. Your looking at complete lowers and complete uppers that's why the price is so much. They charge 350 for a lower with the parts installed.

Lower=less than 100

Lower parts kit=70~

Stock kit=50~

That doesn't add up to 300+

Lower=less than 100

Lower parts kit=70~

Stock kit=50~

That doesn't add up to 300+

Adding in a Magpul CTR stock is another $90. The OP had specific things he wanted (upgraded stock, quad rail etc.).

However, there are tons of good options for the DIY'er seeking a specific setup... Just put together my new 300 AAC Blackout with a Wilson Combat Barrel and Daniel Defense 7.0 Omega free float quadrail (got it a while ago for under $200 when AIM was running a sale)! That is a sweet little setup! Saved about $250 by doing it myself vs. buying an upper. Got enough lowers to play musical uppers for a specific stock/grip/color/trigger combo.