Ive just been wondering, why do poeple go through the effort of converting a saiga to look exactly like an ak when they could just buy an ak to begin with. Im not talking about the basic pistol grip conversion. Im talking about the total transormation. I've just been questioning my reasoning. When i get my saiga, im going to do a complete conversion to make it look exactly like a yugo underfolder. By the time im done i could have bought a yugo underfolder for right around the same price, and i wouldn't have to do all the work to it? Is the saiga a better rifle?

I havn't paid for or picked up my saiga yet and i could still back out, thats why im questioning it

Why Saiga. Because it is Russian. Not a clone. But the real Deal. Saiga's come from the First AK Plant in the world. Izhmash JSC. Most Important. Saiga 's are factory New. Not a part kit with a full auto blasted worn out barrel from a soviet satellite like Romania or Poland or East Germany.

• Like 2

i think i'll be in to my gun about 700-750 by the time i get done with most of my conversion. That includes pistol grip, underfolder, ak mags, and wood hand guards. Then i'll still have to do the front site, gas block, bayo, cleaning rod and sling. Project is getting too expensive and it hasn't even started yet

i think i'll be in to my gun about 700-750 by the time i get done with most of my conversion. That includes pistol grip, underfolder, ak mags, and wood hand guards. Then i'll still have to do the front site, gas block, bayo, cleaning rod and sling. Project is getting too expensive and it hasn't even started yet

Have you considered the EAA Zastava PAP for your Yugo under folder project? There are a few guys around that can do the mag well conversion to accept double stack mags for a small fee. The zastava factory is thee original factory in Yugoslavia/ Serbia that makes the original "Yugo under folder AK's" for the Yugoslavian military.

Factory built AK's are definitely worth the extra noise. Unlike USA builds they have things like cold hammer forged barrels and they are correctly assembled.

I really like working on them. Almost as fun as shooting them! Lol! Every time I get the chance to build one and finish it, I can't wait to do another.

Another reason is because you can make it into whatever you want during the process. You aren't buying a complete rifle and then replacing parts, which just adds to cost. Same deal with building AR's.

Have you considered the EAA Zastava PAP for your Yugo under folder project? There are a few guys around that can do the mag well conversion to accept double stack mags for a small fee. The zastava factory is thee original factory in Yugoslavia/ Serbia that makes the original "Yugo under folder AK's" for the Yugoslavian military.

Factory built AK's are definitely worth the extra noise. Unlike USA builds they have things like cold hammer forged barrels and they are correctly assembled.

looking info up on them, the saiga seems like a better rifle.

looking info up on them, the saiga seems like a better rifle.

Izhmash Saiga and Zastava PAP are top of the line AKs. Zastava goes the extra mile during manufacture utilizing a 1.6mm thick RPK heavy receiver and milled front sight base and milled gas block. Saiga has a cast FSB and GB, 1.0mm thick AKM receiver. If you plan to go the Yugo route then I definitely recommend the PAP.

picture of a converted Zastava PAP vvv

• Like 1

Why a saiga, because mine cost less than a worn out clone.

The Zastava's are only $350 brand new........sure you will have money in the conversion, BUT...You will have a New Genuine Yugo....

Edited by armory

i can't find any any info on converting them. Looks like you don't have to move the trigger, so that would save money. Although not really because to stay 922r compliant, id still have to change the trigger group. They look like the the front hand guards could easily be changed without the gas tube, so that would save money, but i don't see anything about the mag conversions. What im thinking right now, is that id probably have around the same amount into either one, getting it to look how i want, but there is a heck of a lot more info out there on converting the saiga. I don't really care about it being a genuine yugo for my yugo conversion. I simply like the looks of the yugos. Ill be perfectly happy with a saiga with an underfolder, etc. Anyone have any info on converting one of those zastavas?

The Zastava's are only $350 brand new........sure you will have money in the conversion, BUT...You will have a New Genuine Yugo....

Used Zavastas seem to be going for about $450 and new ones are $599. J&G in Arizona just sent out an email ad with them in it last week. Besides, Saigas are the real thing and are as close as you're ever going to get to owning a Russian military AK. Git one!

i can't find any any info on converting them. Looks like you don't have to move the trigger, so that would save money. Although not really because to stay 922r compliant, id still have to change the trigger group. They look like the the front hand guards could easily be changed without the gas tube, so that would save money, but i don't see anything about the mag conversions. What im thinking right now, is that id probably have around the same amount into either one, getting it to look how i want, but there is a heck of a lot more info out there on converting the saiga. I don't really care about it being a genuine yugo for my yugo conversion. I simply like the looks of the yugos. Ill be perfectly happy with a saiga with an underfolder, etc. Anyone have any info on converting one of those zastavas?

The are threads on ak47 net about the Zatsava conversion.

One advantage to converting a Saiga is that you can do it in stages. You don't have to commit a lot of money up front. Also there is a large base of information on converting Saiga's. especially on this web site. You don't need to go to a machinist for any mill work. Anything you need to do can be done by hand or with reasonably priced tools from vendors listed on this website and a lot of them offer a discount.

I did it because I wanted a new Russian "AK" and that I could make it how I wanted it. I've told many a person that want Arsenals to buy them if that's exactly how they want it. I would tell you to buy the one already set up the way you want it, unless you really want a project

Used Zavastas seem to be going for about $450 and new ones are $599. J&G in Arizona just sent out an email ad with them in it last week. Besides, Saigas are the real thing and are as close as you're ever going to get to owning a Russian military AK. Git one!

he's talking about the single stack zastava pap

• Like 1

I was originally going to get a WASR or Polish UF but when I researched Saiga's, I didn't want anything else except for Russian hardware! (In my price range, anyway!)

Edited by rocketfoot

Ive just been wondering, why do poeple go through the effort of converting a saiga to look exactly like an ak when they could just buy an ak to begin with. Im not talking about the basic pistol grip conversion. Im talking about the total transormation. I've just been questioning my reasoning. When i get my saiga, im going to do a complete conversion to make it look exactly like a yugo underfolder. By the time im done i could have bought a yugo underfolder for right around the same price, and i wouldn't have to do all the work to it? Is the saiga a better rifle?

I havn't paid for or picked up my saiga yet and i could still back out, thats why im questioning it

The Saiga in its Sporting Import configuration is an original Russian AK made to look like a Fudd Friendly hunting rifle... It is an AK.

We simply restore them to either our personal idea of what our customized AK should look like, to what it would have looked like coming off the Izmash military line or simply in the image of the traditional AK.

Wouldn't have to do all the work? Man that is part of the fun for a lot of us.

Is it better? In many cases, hell yes.

• Like 2

If I wanted a new factory AK it would be a Saiga. The only reason I have not bought one is that I built my self a Romy G kit. The Saiga is the best 'bang for the buck' you can get without building your own! And with the price of kits today it is probably cheaper to buy a Saiga than to do a build.

AND - The Saiga is NEW!

No offense to anybody, but taking a QUALITY Russian Saiga and making a look a like Yugo underfolder out of it is like putting a Ford Mustang engine in your Chevy Camaro.

Both quality, just don't belong together.

If you really want a Yugo underfolder, start with a Yugo.

post-32211-0-55785800-1331224407.jpg

Edited by armory
  • Like 2

No offense to anybody, but taking a QUALITY Russian Saiga and making a look a like Yugo underfolder out of it is like putting a Ford Mustang engine in your Chevy Camaro.

Both quality, just don't belong together.

If you really want a Yugo underfolder, start with a Yugo.

Agree...I have a Yugo M70B1 and the entire thing is heavy duty! I noticed that the barrel is even thicker than my Saiga 7.62. Both are good bu not interchangeable!
  • Like 2

Why I did it? I like working on things, and the Saiga I've converted and the AR I built from parts are my two favorite weapons aside from my pistols I've taken apart and done cheap polish trigger jobs on. The tinkering is 90% of what makes them special for me. Plus, I now know what parts do what in the gun and feel like I could fix almost any problem I come across. There's just something satisfying about taking a power tool to a brand new rifle, haha. After all conversion parts and the rifle, I'm in for right at $640, and it just feels better than the WASRs I've messed with at gun shows.

Edited by Dirtyjoe
  • 2 weeks later...

Gun guys are like car guys. There is a certain self satisfaction in building and crafting something yourself. As well as in many states, the Saiga is the alternative to the "evil assault" rifle that is out to get us. The Saiga is a brand new AK that gets in on a technicality.

I could have bought a hell of an AR or a couple cheap ass wasr's with the money Ive spent making my saiga rifle, my personal saiga rifle. It was mostly trial and error, not knowing exactly what I would like and what I wanted to do with it. But after a while it all comes together. You sell the parts that you dont like(I hated the magpul afg for example), take a small loss, and get parts you do like. Ive said 'IM DONE" a couple times, and I was lying, because there were still more things I could do. Now Ive done most of them, there isnt much left, but enough to keep me going.

I have the ace stock, chaos rail w/ magpulxtm covers, PWSFSC, ak gas tube, and coming soon.... uspalm battlegrip

Its an awesome hobby. Im proud of my rifle because I built it. Well, the russians built the frame, im just painting the picture.

post-31894-0-70709800-1332621050_thumb.jpg