any real welders out there, anyone need a carrier?

so i found a new carrier for my saiga!!!! I hope that it will work correctly. I still have the old carrier and was wondering if there is anyone out there that can weld this better than my gunsmiths "professional" welder. if its not possible to weld this thats fine. I know some people are making short barrels so im willing to sell it if you want it. lemme know what the best thing to do is. Thank you all for your help.

p.s the image has the fracture line circled in red. The welder i took it to was supossed to fill and reinforce. I put about 100 rounds at the correct gas setting and it refractured. HELP!!

post-39657-0-98020600-1331225448_thumb.jpg

so i found a new carrier for my saiga!!!! I hope that it will work correctly. I still have the old carrier and was wondering if there is anyone out there that can weld this better than my gunsmiths "professional" welder. if its not possible to weld this thats fine. I know some people are making short barrels so im willing to sell it if you want it. lemme know what the best thing to do is. Thank you all for your help.

p.s the image has the fracture line circled in red. The welder i took it to was supossed to fill and reinforce. I put about 100 rounds at the correct gas setting and it refractured. HELP!!

How much do you want for it? I can't use it for a customer build, but I've got a personal gun it would be great for.

Edit: Looks like you have a vertical split developing as well - from the edge of the weld line to the bottom of the op rod socket.

Looks like instead of repairing the carrier he acually melted into the OP rod threads. Because the OP is threaded and peened in place it is still loose and can cantilever, putting stress on the weld. Who knows what rod he used.

Looks like there's plenty of thread engagment like it is and probably will last a lifetime.

Verticle crack looks like a shadow to me.

Would be great if Tromix or somebody could come up with a way to fix these permanently.

I was thinking if the "threaded cup" end of the carrier was machined off, leaving just the straight part behind it, you could come up with a new "threaded cup" that slides down over that straight part and could be pinned or welded in place.

That is a poor weld job. A part that is under repeated stress needs to be annealed, welded and re hardened. If anyone else needs one welded look for a machine shop that does printing presses, aircraft parts or diesel engines. The guy that welds trash trucks is not going to know how to do it right. That one needs the metal cut off at the bottom of the threaded hole and a new end welded on, then a new hole drilled and tapped. Once metal has been work hardened and stress cracked then welded poorly, it is best to remove the nasty part and replace it with good steel.

• Like 3

FWIW, what would be nice would be an extra long piston that could be bottomed out in the socket, measured, and then the excess milled or turned (lathe) off. Just an idea, since the impulse force would be directly to the carrier itself, not the threaded part...