So I'm starting to look into longer range, higher powered rifles now. Obviously, the king is the BMG, but I want an intermediate step between my AR carbine and the daddy of all macs, the 50cal. So I am currently trying to decide between the 7mm Mag, the 308Mag and the 300Mag/Ultramag.

I'm curious which provides the best penetration, accuracy, and lethality. Also, are there any companies renoun for their rifle in these calibers? Barett is known for its 50cal, Bushmaster is known for its 223, Franchi is known for its 28ga, etc. So what companies are great for the intermediate steps mentioned above? Also, are there any magazine fed, bolt action rifles in any of these calibers?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

The military seems to think rather highly of the Remington 700 action. As far as magazine fed, Remington offers the SPS and SPS DM with synthetic stocks and (in the case of the DM) a detachable magazine. The SPS comes in most popular calibers from 204 Ruger to 300 Rem Ultra Mag, while the DM's come in more limited number of calibers.

Personally I am a fan of the Winchester model 70, but it's hard to beat the Rem's at ~$500

I figure I ought find out about rifles before I look into scopes. However, from what I hear I should put more money into the scope than the gun. From my understanding, Leupolds are very good, but I would love any advice on optics that people can offer too.

That's basically the rule of thumb I was told: Spend at least as much on the scope as you do on the gun. My 308 was free (hand-me-down) so I've got quite a bit of budget to spend on a scope.

I've been looking at Weavers (it's what I've used before on my lower caliber rifles), but I'm open to damn near anything.

I went thru this back in the 90's while looking for a new hunting rifle it was between the 7mm mag, the 300win.mag. and the 338win.mag. I chose the 338win.mag mainly because of the 4,000ft.lbs. @ the muzzle and it still had the muzzle energy of the 30-06 @ 200yds(2,800ft.lbs.) the 300win.mag came a close second but not in bullet weight. I wanted a rifle that i could hunt anything in the US and Canada.

It depends on what you just want a sniper rifle I would go with the rem 700 or savage bull barrel in 308win. its plenty of power and distance.

Remington 700 in 338win.mag

Bushnell 6x12x42 scope w/BDC & AO out to 500yds with no error.

She'll put two bullets thru the same hole @100yds with new winchester ammo so why reload?

Edited by Unknown Poster

Ive researched scopes quite a bit, and when it comes time for me to invest more than a small amount into a scope, it will be a leopold for shit sure. I like the brightness of them, they are extremely clear, and are made quite well. they are also a little less $$ in the big picture of scopes wihtout less quality.

Unknown Poster: I guess if you dont shoot a lot, factory ammo is cheap for your 338. reloading them is approx. 15c a shot, where factory ammo is probably in the 75c to 1.00 ballpark for those three calibers.

as for calibers, when im in the market for that type of gun, it will most likely be in 300 win. mag.

I'm getting great accuracy with new ammo why reload? I can put two bullets thru the same hole at 100yds with new winchester ammo reloads can do better? I purchased the reloading dies anyway for the future. Funny it won't group tight with new remington ammo neither will my '06 but my 444 marlin will shoot good with new remington ammo go figure each rifle has its sweet spot i guess. I don't shoot it much its a hunting rifle only plus it has awesome accuracy and i worry about the barrel wear and barrel life too. I heard these magnum barrels are only good for 1,000rds.(accuracy) The 338win.mag. isn't a plinkin rifle for sure. I was lucky i got the last year of quality for remingtons "94" they have gone down hill in quality since then. My scope is crystal clear it was top shelf bushnell back in 94 when i purchased my 338win.mag. If a scope can pass my enviroment shock test from going to a tee shirt warm woodstove hot heated trailer(my camp) to the cold temp of 0 to 10 degrees without breaking its seal its a good scope to me. This is where the cheaper bargain basement scopes won't cut it. I did purchase the 338 mainly to hunt out west someday maybe for grizz.

I believe new ammo for my 338 is about $35 a box now. I'm stocked to the hilt with new ammo way back when it was $18 a box. I thought it was expensive back then.

Funny i don't see any of the BDC scopes anymore?? (bullet drop compisation) I can shoot from 100yds to 500yds with no error i just adjust the scope for the yardage. You have to have the proper ring in the scope for the bullet weight which i do being the orginal scope owner i have all the rings that came with it. i have the same scope on my 30-06 too(BDC). With all the shots i see the guys on OLN MISS maybe they need one of these scopes with the BDC option too? I guess i'll never replace my BDC scopes with fixed scopes.

I reload for about 25 different calibers but not 338win.mag. yet.

Edited by Unknown Poster