Tromix Pistol Grip Adapter Now Available $25 (pic)

The Tromix pistol grip adapters shipped to the distributors a couple of days ago. They should have them Monday. I did not include screws with the adapters, since various AR grips require different length screws and are almost always included.

I cut the OEM grip off with a hacksaw, then trimmed it up using a 1/2" end mill. For a little better look, I went ahead and profiled the receiver a bit to blend in better with the new grip. I think it came out pretty nice.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

post-1323-0-64326500-1331250022_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Magpul MOE grip installed. If you use a standard GI grip, the reach to the trigger will be pretty short, so I would suggest using a grip that has the hook on the back in order to to move your hand rearward.

post-1323-0-81478200-1331250371_thumb.jpg

I have an extra Ergo grip for just such an occasion! Mr. Rumore - you are a God!!!!super_man.gif

Here are some dimensions for you DIY guys.

post-1323-0-22773000-1331251831_thumb.jpgpost-1323-0-17595100-1331251873_thumb.jpg

BTW did you have to cut that slot in the bottom of the receiver for the adapter to go through? Is that where said 1/2 end mill bit was used?

Next up... Quadrails? wink.png

Nate

Yep....quad rail is next.

No, you don't have to cut a hole in the bottom of the receiver. Once you cut the pistol grip off, its already hollow in that position. A 1/2" diameter end mill will cut the correct radius in the forward upper corner, in order to match the radius of the pistol grip.

• Like 1

Got it done! It doesn't look quite as clean as Tony's, but it works! I used my Dad's table saw to cut the grip along the trigger guard, then made a cut perpendicular to that going towards buttstock. I rounded out the corner with a 1/2" rat tail file and finished the two edges with a flat bastard file. I left the area behind the trigger guard a little thicker (~0.4") than in Tony's picture - then did a test fit. So far this configuration gives my trigger finger the perfect length with the Grip I used (Ergo Enhanced tactical) . The only hiccup I ran into was the safety would not rotate to safe after everything was reassembled. I think this is because the grip adapter doesn't allow the back of the trigger to go down all the way. (I am using the Tromix trigger and discon BTW.) But I did read on Firebird's website that they do not ship out their FCG because it has to be fitted for each person's gun (i.e. the trigger and hammer pin holes are drilled in slightly different locations for each gun). So I removed a little material above the cut in the safety so it would rotate. Works like it should now. Maybe others won't have this problem, but it's no big deal at all. Pics coming very soon.

Tony what would be the best way to cut the handle off? I wanna MacGuyver it with a jigsaw but I got a buddy with a ban saw. I figure it might be a tad more controllable with the ban saw since everything can be laid flat. And then dremel off the rough edges whatcha think tony?

You're lucky to have that option - I would go with the band saw - cleaner more precise (straighter) cut. There's one at my job with a thin balde that could make the cuts without having to do much filing afterward, but you know - not worth the risk to bring the lower out there.

Come on nowa little gun barrel isn't going to hurt anyone. :haha2: the only thing is is that it's belt is a real motherfucker to change and it's got a wood tooth band on their right now and we can't get it over to change it. Fyi it's a ryiobi so that's an dug

Obvious duh but it ain't my tool so I cant bitch.

Now here are the pics finally! Sorry I didn't take any pics of cutting - I forgot my camera at my Dad's place.

MKA1919002.jpg

MKA1919011.jpg

Old Grip where I made cuts - I also cold blued the adapter.

MKA1919009.jpg

MKA1919008.jpg

This is the area of the safety I dremeled so that it would rotate all the way

MKA1919007-2.jpg

MKA1919006.jpg

• 2 weeks later...