Problem with safety upwards overtravel post conversion

Converted my Saiga 12 today using the kit from Carolina SS. I also added the Axis Pin Retaining Plate and Modified Bolt Hold Open lever.

When I engage the safety and attempt to pull the bolt backwards, the safety continues to travel upwards (the bolt pushes it up further). While the actual safety is engaged, the safety itself is now too high and I have to bend it outwards to get it back down on the frame.

Did I put something in wrong???

You didn't do anything wrong. The Saiga OEM disconector has a safety over travel stop built into it, that is not present on the Tapco G2 FCG or any other FCG that I know of.

On the Tromix conversions, I weld a stop to the top of the trigger that fixes that issue.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

• Like 2

You didn't do anything wrong. The Saiga OEM disconector has a safety over travel stop built into it, that is not present on the Tapco G2 FCG or any other FCG that I know of.

On the Tromix conversions, I weld a stop to the top of the trigger that fixes that issue.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

You didn't do anything wrong. The Saiga OEM disconector has a safety over travel stop built into it,

that is not present on the Tapco G2 FCG or any other FCG that I know of.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

Hey, thats a good idea!

Tony Rumore

Tromix

Is your trigger available to purchase by itself? The safety moving that high up is SUPER annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

As a new member and new to the AK platform, should the safety lever detent travel above the top of the receiver?

Mine does and makes it very difficult to return to the fire position.

I don't like the thought of it cutting the edge of the receiver over time

My gun is currently un-converted and going through a break-in before I change anything.

Strojo: When i duracoated mine, i dremmeled in a little notch into the receiver for the nub on the safety to click into. It can still go past but is much harder to do so.

nitukamots: Embrace the scratch. They do that. If the safety is too tight to easily manipulate, take the top cover off, turn the safety up and past the receiver and bend it outwards just a bit. When you turn the safety back down just make sure you don't bind up on any springs or internals.

Strojo: When i duracoated mine, i dremmeled in a little notch into the receiver for the nub on the safety to click into. It can still go past but is much harder to do so.

nitukamots: Embrace the scratch. They do that. If the safety is too tight to easily manipulate, take the top cover off, turn the safety up and past the receiver and bend it outwards just a bit. When you turn the safety back down just make sure you don't bind up on any springs or internals.

the safety on my S-12 was so tight that i once cut my finger as i tried to push it into fire... i was in a hurry as we were duck hunting and a large flock of geese showed up (with the 2 rnd mag, i nailed 5 with 3 shots, bloody finger and all)

after that, i got the krebs safety selector with the larger shelf. it too was tight, but i was able to bend it some and now its just about perfect. i can manipulate it with my trigger finger.

• 2 weeks later...

Sneaky, I have embraced the scratch, I know ALL AK weapons do that. I was refering to the edge of the receiver, not the side. Thanks for the info on making an adjustment to ease operation, I'll experiment with it.

Edited by nitukamots
  • 1 month later...

Sounds like mine has the same problem. On my converted Saiga when I move the safety up to safe there is no stop and it actually pops off the receiver and I have to pry it up to get it back in place. I've considered bending the lever out some so it just hits into the dust cover and stops. If this is a very common problem like Tony said, what is the generally accepted solution?

Sounds like mine has the same problem. On my converted Saiga when I move the safety up to safe there is no stop and it actually pops off the receiver and I have to pry it up to get it back in place. I've considered bending the lever out some so it just hits into the dust cover and stops. If this is a very common problem like Tony said, what is the generally accepted solution?

The easiest solution to this problem is to either punch or grind an upper, (safe), position detent into the receiver for the nub to run into before it leaves the receiver and moves up onto the bolt carrier.