Is it legal to hunt with a converted Saiga Shotgun in NY?

I have some relatives in NY and would like to hunt turkey and maybe deer on their land.

I am from out of state. I cannot find it stated anywhere that you can not use a shotgun with a pistol grip.

The only rule I find is the mag capacity rule.

We're still under a state assault weapons ban.

your shotgun would have to have a thumbhole stock.

no p grip, and fixed stocks only on Saiga 12s

shotgun assault weapon:

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:

• Folding or telescoping stock X
  • Pistol grip X
  • Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
  • Detachable magazine

Edited by Foxtrot Oscar

Actually the exact wording is:

• A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following

characteristics:

• a folding or telescoping stock;

• a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action

of the weapon;

• a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds;

• an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

It already has "the ability to accept a detachable magazine" so any more than that makes it a no-go. There is no other interpretation.

Edited by Yeoldetool
  • Like 2

That is retarded. Even in sporting config you break the rules do to detachable magazines. I see a grey area. I see normal shotguns now with a pistol grip. Also is a tube extender a magazine? For example the ones use in 3 gun. Those can work on many so called legal semi auto shotguns. The shape should not matter, the pistol grip thing is stupid. This gun is a sport shotgun and changing the ergos should not be a big deal.

I thought it would be cool to show them a Saiga converted to a turkey gun. I'd love to say I got a turkey with it.

That is retarded. Even in sporting config you break the rules do to detachable magazines. I see a grey area. I see normal shotguns now with a pistol grip. Also is a tube extender a magazine? For example the ones use in 3 gun. Those can work on many so called legal semi auto shotguns. The shape should not matter, the pistol grip thing is stupid. This gun is a sport shotgun and changing the ergos should not be a big deal.

I thought it would be cool to show them a Saiga converted to a turkey gun. I'd love to say I got a turkey with it.

wut.......

You don't break any laws in sporting configuration. You only have a semiautomatic shotgun that will accept a detachable magazine, period. That's one evil feature, not "at least two..."

There is no gray area. If you are referring to pump shotguns as "normal", the assault weapons definition only refers to semiautomatics.

Tube extenders would not be legal for hunting, which is what the OP asked about.

A converted S12 with a thumbhole stock is legal in NY.

I agree that NY State has some inane laws, but that's just the way it is.

• Like 1

Yeah I see what you mean, right now I'm in the sporting mode. I's like to put a rail system on it and a red dot.

If I keep it that way I'm good.

So I am guessing you are not allowed to hunt deer with an AR, even if you have a low capacity mag.

Upstate NY is so different than the city, too bad the city runs the state.

I've seen some post with a skeleton stock that some of you claim to by NY legal. If it is all one solid piece is that considered a pistol grip? If I use that I should be good right?

Edited by C-Par

So I am guessing you are not allowed to hunt deer with an AR, even if you have a low capacity mag.

Sure you can, as long as it meets the right criteria......

“Assault weapon” is defined as:

A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable

magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics:

• a folding or telescoping stock;

• a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action

of the weapon;

• a bayonet mount;

• a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate

a flash suppressor;

• a grenade launcher.

You have a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has * "a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon."

Any more evil features besides that would make it illegal. So no folding or telescopic stock and no bayonet lug or grenade launcher.

• Like 1

Some counties prohibit hunting with rifles. Everything else is fair game, not sure about crossbow. Check out the DEC

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/hunting.html

they have almost everything you need to know.

I believe your mags are only supposed to accept 5 rounds. Maybe 6 I can't remember. either 5+1 or 6+1 in the chamber

Just got mine today.

A bit short for me. I'm 5'11" and my wingspan's about the same. If the stock was just an inch longer it would be perfect, I like my stocks to reach the crook of my arm when bent at a 90 degree angle.

The stock is 13" from the top part of the buttpad to the space right above the grip. Not sure how comfortable it will be.

Can't beat $17 dollars.

17_dollars.jpg

Also, some will tell you that it's a 'gray area' having a thumbhole stock on a Saiga 12, but currently the Akdal MKA1919 shotgun has a pistol grip and a detachable magazine, so it should be totally illegal, considered an assault weapon... gun stores are still selling them anyway. So you're not going to get into any trouble because technically it's not a pistol grip.

Edited by Foxtrot Oscar

kali chiming in, so a tube magazine extension as long as it is plugged or less than 5rounds would be legal. if you purchased a kali bullet button, you would thus have the infmaous "non-detachable mag" unless you used a tool to remove the mag, same as any other magazine, tube or otherwise. you could then choose to have a pistol grip if you wanted, because you would not have 2 of the characteristics. if you are using the stock saiga 5 round mag, i have a raddlock button i could sell you. it works great in the sotck mags, but agp and sgm mags not so good.

• 2 months later...

post-9483-0-53521000-1322880552.jpg

Is this stock considered a Thumbhole stock in NY. The main reason for my conversion would be to have a better trigger group.

I used to have this exact stock on my S12. It's an awesome stock and is rock solid.

• 3 months later...

Guys Just an update, I finally did the conversion with that stock. It came out great just want to try out the new configuration at the range first.

I might post pics soon. Mine is hunter friendly I have the cobra choke adapter so I can can chokes for different hunting.

• 5 months later...