I snagged one of those long, heavy barreled AES-10Bs about a month ago with the club-footed fixed buttstock, but haven't had a chance to shoot the thing yet.

I put about three coats of Top-Oil on the the ROUGH, unfinished, laminate wood furniture, but am not really considering any other mods except for a QD scope mount and in expensive scope.

Anybody else have one of these monsters? Suggestions on a relatively cheap effective scope/sight?

• Like 1
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

purchased mine form jgsales aes10b/side folder. another awesome ak variant, so much fun to shoot with the bipod. finally got a rpk wood stock set for mine pictured with my romy m10

LOVE my AES 10B.... Modified the shit out of it.... you prolly don't want to know how much coinage I have in this thing but she's a beast....pure beast          

yes i think you should pick one up ASAP, seems to be gettin harder to find....or is it just me. finally got a nice complete laminated stock set for my rpk, actually took some elbow grease to get it

Posted Images

I've got a CAI that I love. With the right ammo, I'm doing 1.5" groups at 100yrds, with iron sights. Haven't had much luck with a scope though. My Legion Arms adjustable mount would not stay solid. Fixed that, but haven't been back to the range since.

Mines got the folding wire stock, I pulled the bipod off and put a tri rail just behind the gas block for a heavy barrel Tobuk set up. Looking forward to eventually bullpupping it.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/70861-1st-real-range-trip-for-tobukd-rpk/

Wow! Those are some sweet, cool mods! Thanks for sharing datrowl and BpS12.

Definitely food for thought while my war-chest is recovering from the mods I just done did to my S12.

And Tritium...$399?!? Things sure ain't what they used to be, are they? LOL!

I say I hadn't modded the thing except for some Top-Oil to weather-proof the original furniture....but I did also drop about $15 (w/ shipping) for a Tapco AK0687 muzzle brake to replace the slant it came with...its supposed to be more RPK authentic, but I'm no authority on that.

I do have a 75-round drum mag that needs the locking lug ground just a bit so it will fit both the AES-10B and the Draco..so there's that project to look forward to without dropping additional coin.

I got one for $600. Shot 1 drum through it and it didn't seem to cycle easily, not even by hand. After disassembly, the bolt carrier was literally bent and looked like it had been caught in something. I replaced the carrier with a new unissued one from Apex and refinished the laminate wood with minwax red oak, added a hogue grip and Tapco muzzle device. Now it cycles smooth as butter and is a lot more appealing to me. Before all this I had considered getting rid of it.

I wish Slidefire would make a club-foot version of their stock for the AES-10Bs

I asked in a Slidefire thread if the stock would work on an RPK platform while using the bipod. Nobody replied so I guess not.

I got mine a few weeks ago form Atlantic Firearms. Absolutely no problems, straight sights no cant. Awesome gun!

I refinished the wood with my (some what) historically correct “Russian Red” shellac finish. I applied one liberal coat of Minwax Mahogany Gel Stain #605 wiped it off, then I lightly sanded some of the stain off using 400 grit sandpaper. Let it dry 24 hours. I then applied 3 coats of Zinsser Bullseye amber shellac vary lightly sanding with 0000 steel wool between coats. Let the shellac dry completely for 3 days then apply wax to protect the shellac finish from water damage. Preparing the wood for the stain and finish is vary important. I used Acetone to degrease and clean, then I neutralized the acetone using mineral spirits. Acetone will not harm combloc laminate wood glue. Sand with 400 grit and 0000 steel wool before applying the stain.

Edited by 762SLEDGEHAMMER
  • Like 1

There's a good article on these in the Guns and Ammo Complete Book of the AK47, (No. 2?). Just picked it up at the news stand.

The author seemed largely more interested in it as a collector. There was no mention of the variations in both styles and uses that we've seen on these Forums.

There's a good article on these in the Guns and Ammo Complete Book of the AK47, (No. 2?). Just picked it up at the news stand.

The author seemed largely more interested in it as a collector. There was no mention of the variations in both styles and uses that we've seen on these Forums.

Bought it. Good read

purchased mine form jgsales aes10b/side folder. another awesome ak variant, so much fun to shoot with the bipod. finally got a rpk wood stock set for mine

pictured with my romy m10

022-9.jpg

What brake is that on the Romy? I GOTTA get me one of those!

• Like 1

Deffinately get one. Whether you want to lay down lots of cover fire or midrange snipe, this will do it with the right ammo. I'm doing under 2" groups with all but the cheapest ammo and iron sights @ 100yrds. And even the cheap stuff is getting me under 3" with a winger or two. That extra 7" of barrel and a little added weight is well worth the extra cost. If this thing goes down, it's more likely my fault rather than it's. And I'm not a great shooter by any means. Not to mention the pure fun of modding and shooting it.

• Like 1

Like BpS12 said,I too am getting great accuracy with irons.For that matter I have been contemplating on getting a POSP in the 4x-6x range for a little closer and precise look on the target while still having a great field of view so I dont get target locked and let a "ZOMBIE" slip by.Also while deployed in the prone position one can feed it through drums and fan the trigger laying down quite a bit of cover fire and still be able to direct the shots in the target area.

Captain...I hope you can treat yourself to one before the "Panic Prices" surely to insue the closer we get to election dayhorror.gif

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Along the same subject of the thread. I am working on an AES-10B DMR project myself. I like the lines of the RPK. Either I am keeping it old school with the wood and possibly modding the factory clubfoot with some kind of cheek riser and a rail section for a monopod or maybe this stock. Kind of a modern RPK looking thing. Anyone tried one of these out? I am wondering about the quality and whether or not it would work good with my POSP.

SAI-STK-TAC_SGMTT-D.jpg

Along the same subject of the thread. I am working on an AES-10B DMR project myself. I like the lines of the RPK. Either I am keeping it old school with the wood and possibly modding the factory clubfoot with some kind of cheek riser and a rail section for a monopod or maybe this stock. Kind of a modern RPK looking thing. Anyone tried one of these out? I am wondering about the quality and whether or not it would work good with my POSP.

SAI-STK-TAC_SGMTT-D.jpg

Nice, I wonder if the Mako recoil monopad would fit on this stock?