I just picked mine up from my FFL yesterday. I bought it from a dealer friend of mine, and I ended up having to wait several months for it when his order to Century got stalled. It turned out to be well worth the wait. All proper features, including full-length RPK bipod (vs. incorrect PKM bipod), carry handle, adjustable rear sight. Trunnion is arsenal stamped and dated 1969, and all parts are serial matching except the dust cover and safety lever. When looking at the wear on the trunnion, bolt, and carrier, the gun appears virtually unfired, and the barrel even looks new - chrome plating is still a matte grey color. I'm really impressed with the quality of the AES-10B.

I tossed an AIMR straight flash hider on it to keep it somewhat correct for a Romanian RPK. I'll throw up some pics after getting a coat of amber shellac on the stock.

Edited by mancat
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

purchased mine form jgsales aes10b/side folder. another awesome ak variant, so much fun to shoot with the bipod. finally got a rpk wood stock set for mine pictured with my romy m10

LOVE my AES 10B.... Modified the shit out of it.... you prolly don't want to know how much coinage I have in this thing but she's a beast....pure beast          

yes i think you should pick one up ASAP, seems to be gettin harder to find....or is it just me. finally got a nice complete laminated stock set for my rpk, actually took some elbow grease to get it

Posted Images

I went from just wanting a saiga sporter, to wanting to restore it to its origional configuration, to wanting an SGL, to buying my first kit(M92) to now wanting all variants of the 7.62x39.

my current list I hope to attain:

SGL21-94 for a true AK104 clone,

Izzy AKM on a 74uLLC receiver

tula kaiber pass on a 74uLLC receiver

AES-10b and one day find a folding kit for it, that would be awesome!

Yugo PAP M70(wood)

Got a few coats of amber shellac on the stock of my AES-10B. Only problem is, I'm not sure if I even like it. You can't really see it in the photo, but the coloring turned out to be far more "orange" than usual. I may strip it and instead go with a pecan stain and deft satin poly coat.

tsHGQ.jpg

This is the shade of AES-10B wood with golden pecan stain and satin clear. I think I like this more.

AES10B002.jpg?t=1212328062

• Like 2

So I shot my AES-10B shortly after posting the pics. It shot great and I got it zeroed in using the bipod. The front sight had to be turned up a bit at 100m. What I noticed is that when the bipod is folded up to shoot while standing, the POI shift upwards is quite large. I expected a bit of a shift, but at 200yd I went from hitting the target consistently with the bipod extended, to shooting what looked like several feet over the target.

Edited by mancat

"AES-10b and one day find a folding kit for it, that would be awesome!"

Do you mean the wire folding stock? I'll have one available once I bullpup mine.

Sorry on the late reply, didn't know you were asking me.

Like this but in 7.62x39:

rpks74.jpggallery_24335_817_37690.jpg

Edited by AZG
  • Like 1

So I shot my AES-10B shortly after posting the pics. It shot great and I got it zeroed in using the bipod. The front sight had to be turned up a bit at 100m. What I noticed is that when the bipod is folded up to shoot while standing, the POI shift upwards is quite large. I expected a bit of a shift, but at 200yd I went from hitting the target consistently with the bipod extended, to shooting what looked like several feet over the target.

Weird, I wonder what's making the difference. Thanks for the report. I really want to get one of these.

Weird, I wonder what's making the difference. Thanks for the report. I really want to get one of these.

Since the bipod is barrel mounted, supporting some of the rifle's weight on the muzzle end is going to push the muzzle and the round up on target. Having the bipod's weight hanging on the muzzle end is going to do the opposite effect. This is true with any rifle if you support the weight on the barrel or hang shit off it.

• Like 1

Yeah I understand. I just didn't expect the POI change to be so large. Well, the bipod is pretty beefy. I guess I'll zero the rifle with bipod folded and then make field elevation adjustment with the bipod deployed. I do like shooting the AES-10B standing. It balances like an old battle rifle, and the recoil of 7.62x39 is mostly reduced to a gentle push.

Edited by mancat

Tritium, that's really nice. It all blends together beautifully,

AZG, I see, you want the "ax" butt stock. I haven't seen many of those around, Good luck.

How do you guys deal with that dinky little pistol grip? To me, it feels like trying to hold onto a popsiclestick, lol.

AZG, I see, you want the "ax" butt stock. I haven't seen many of those around, Good luck.

How do you guys deal with that dinky little pistol grip? To me, it feels like trying to hold onto a popsiclestick, lol.

Yes I do, very badly. Thank you for noticing. I'm into the rare cool stuff. Just saw a para trooper m1 carbine on American guns and decided I need to have one. Also although it looks good, I can't stand the standard ak grip. Kind rubs me the wrong way after a while of use. Still like the look though.

AZG, I had an M1 carbine about 25yrs ago. Traded it for a 5" barreled S&W .357 Mag. I like the. 357, but I loved that M1. Worst trade I ever made. Accurate to a nickle at 100yrds. Always wanted to put the para stock on it and already had the canvas sheath for it.

Mancat, my 4&1/2yr old granddaughters hands fit the bakelite better than mine, and I have small hands for being 6'1", lol. I suppose if I used artic mittens with it maybe.

"AES-10b and one day find a folding kit for it, that would be awesome!"

Do you mean the wire folding stock? I'll have one available once I bullpup mine.

I'm interested in your wire folding stock. Edited by Jetmech

Well a buddy decided he is going to buy my Polish underfolder, so as soon as I get the money from him, I'm getting either a used Romy kit from Apex, or a virgin Yugo kit from Rguns. Seeing all these beautiful Romy RPK's has ruined me. LOL. Thanks guys.

I noticed that the underside of the adjustable rear leaf has additional range markings on it. They correspond to the selected range on the opposite side of the leaf, from 300m to 1000m. It looks like these are there so that the gunner can adjust the elevation without raising his head or taking the rifle off of bipod to see the markings on the topside of the leaf. Flip leaf forward, adjust, and flip it back down. Thoughts?

I noticed that the underside of the adjustable rear leaf has additional range markings on it. They correspond to the selected range on the opposite side of the leaf, from 300m to 1000m. It looks like these are there so that the gunner can adjust the elevation without raising his head or taking the rifle off of bipod to see the markings on the topside of the leaf. Flip leaf forward, adjust, and flip it back down. Thoughts?

I wondered that myself and your explanation seems reasonable to me.

Since starting this thread, just got to shoot mine for the first time yesterday. Lots of fun and compliments from some of the other folks on the line.

It was shooting off a bit to the right, and I tried to adjust, but the windage drum was frozen. I've since fixed that. At the range I switched to the side rail-mounted red -dot...which was fine despite the tension screw being a bit loose and me with no screwdriver...but still lots of fun!!!

I'm really coveting the sweet red finishes on a lot of the pics posted...however, the grain on my laminate furniture is so harsh, staining would be wasted effort....I might go for a couple more coats of Top-Oil, though...it looks good now, but it could be better.

I need to get a decent drum mag....the one I got from ATI (not slamming the corp, but this one mag in particular) is a no-go; total junk for reasons I won't list here. Any suggestions? E-Bloc surplus? Chinese?

Also, as so many have mentioned, the plastic pistol grip (black) feels like I'm holding a pencil...and I would perfer a color closer to the bakelite....

Grab a Romanian or Polish bakelite grip. Polish generally come in higher quality but are more expensive.. I bought a lot of about six Romy bakelite grips and only got three that were in really good shape. Actually, if you get some that are poor, you can buff them a tiny bit with steel wool until the fiber is a bit exposed, and stain them with Minwax Red Mahogany (let it really soak before wiping), then polish with a rubbing compound when dry. It will restore it to an almost original appearance.

Also regarding the front sight drum: let some penetrating oil soak into it a bit. It will break free eventually, and after that should move freely using a proper adjustment tool. Mine was dead on for windage from the factory, which is nice to see on a Romy gun.

The grain on a lot of Romy laminate IS harsh.. It can make for some interesting patterns when stained.

Edited by mancat

Got a few coats of amber shellac on the stock of my AES-10B. Only problem is, I'm not sure if I even like it. You can't really see it in the photo, but the coloring turned out to be far more "orange" than usual. I may strip it and instead go with a pecan stain and deft satin poly coat.

tsHGQ.jpg

Since the shellac bubbled up, I decided to refinish the AES-10B already. I didn't like how strong the shellac orange was any way. So, stripped the furniture and stained with Minwax Golden Pecan. Instead of sanding the hell out of the rough wood, I simply built up a heavy layer of clear lacquer (Deft semi-gloss) and buffed between coats until it was a uniform surface. What I like about Deft is that it cures HARD. I have a couple beater stocks finished in Deft that I've dropped on gravel with little effect.

kLE72.jpg

V9dxJ.jpg

2dolM.jpg

Z02Jz.jpg

Thanks bud.. I got a 6x24 scope set up on my BP-02 and should hopefully have a chance to get some groups at 100/200yd within a few days. I'm interested in finding out if the AES-10B has a large accuracy edge on a standard AKM.

Thanks bud.. I got a 6x24 scope set up on my BP-02 and should hopefully have a chance to get some groups at 100/200yd within a few days. I'm interested in finding out if the AES-10B has a large accuracy edge on a standard AKM.

You're welcome. Please post your results, as I'm interested as well. I have always heard that the RPK's group better, but have not gotten it from the horses mouth so to speak. It's always been one of those "well I heard that Bob told Fred, that Jim's RPK grouped really nice". Would love to hear direct.