I picked up my AES-10B from Classic this afternoon from my FFL. Current batch is not matching numbers, except the bolt and carrier. So it appears these are from parts kit. Receiver is marked Cugir with Mfg date of 1979. Bore is bright and shiny and rifling is sharp and crisp. OP rod, FCG, and PG nut are US made. The Upper hand guard has a hairline crack in it, and the FSB is heavily canted to the right. The bipod is the adjustable wingnut type, which was a small plus. So long as it cycles well and is accurate, I will be happy. The upper hand guard and FSB issues are easily fixed. I will post up pictures once the gun is cleaned up.

• Like 2
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

purchased mine form jgsales aes10b/side folder. another awesome ak variant, so much fun to shoot with the bipod. finally got a rpk wood stock set for mine pictured with my romy m10

LOVE my AES 10B.... Modified the shit out of it.... you prolly don't want to know how much coinage I have in this thing but she's a beast....pure beast          

yes i think you should pick one up ASAP, seems to be gettin harder to find....or is it just me. finally got a nice complete laminated stock set for my rpk, actually took some elbow grease to get it

Posted Images

The FSB pins should come out pretty easy. Century has to remove the FSB stateside to install the bipods, due to the "sporting purposes" restrictions preventing the rifles from being imported with bipod attached, so they should already be loos(er). This is why there have been a few batches sold without them, and why early models had the (very floppy) removable PKM bipod.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

The FSB pins should come out pretty easy. Century has to remove the FSB stateside to install the bipods, due to the "sporting purposes" restrictions preventing the rifles from being imported with bipod attached, so they should already be loos(er). This is why there have been a few batches sold without them, and why early models had the (very floppy) removable PKM bipod.

I noticed the pins on the FSB right off the bat. They have been previously driven out, so I do not expect too much trouble in getting the FSB off. I do have a question about the bipod mount. It locks up solidly nesting around the cleaning rod. My question is..is it normal for the bipod mount to be loose around the barrel sleeve? I can rotate it around the barrel very easily until it hits the milled stops. I assumed this was normal to the design. It is just looser than I expected. Thus far, the receiver, receiver cover, gas tube, and bolt/ carrier group all have different serials. I have to admit, I am a little disappointed in that, and wish that Classic disclosed that on the website. I chalk it up to my own excitement and lack of due diligence however. A quick call to them would have answered that beforehand. The lack of non matching serials is disappointing, but the fit and finish is good (apart from the canted sight), so I am not too concerned.

Welcome to the AES-10B club Spacehog.

Thank you MT. I am happy to finally own one. Edited by Spacehog

The bipod is supposed to move like that, otherwise it would be rather hard to deploy the bipod on the side of a hill, etc. It should be solid when folded up and secured, and can still be rotated a small amount, but not loose enough that it flops around like it does when deployed.

If you want it to be tighter, I'm sure you could craft a small shim - I think there is about enough of a gap between bipod and FSB for a simple thin aluminum shim to be cut out.

• Like 1

A quick update. Once cleaned, it was apparent there was some rusting on the bolt face, the bolt lugs, and the lug channels on the carrier. The rust was more than superficial, it has slightly pitted some of the cast surfaces. Machined surfaces are un-pitted. The extractor and extractor spring were rusted into the bolt, and was frozen into place. Had I got it out to the range, I would have likely had extraction issues. I was able to take apart the bolt, and salvage the extractor and spring for the time being, but I will order a couple of new ones. 800 grit sand paper knocked off most of the rusting. (I didn't touch the bolt face). There is not a single matching part on the entire gun save the carrier and bolt (probably because they were rusted together) J/K.

So if I were asked whether I would recommend one of these from Classic, my answer would unequivacally be "No". (at least not at the current price point.) I"ll get her into shape and running right, but dang I am going to have more work in this gun, than converting my Saigas. :)

I have to wonder if most of the complete demilled RPKs are gone and Cugir is scraping the bottom of the barrel. I would be interested in knowing if the others in the recent batch are mostly unmatching.

It's too bad about the 7n6 situation, because Romania has been slowly moving towards 5.56, and they would be the most likely country to dump a shit-ton of 5.45x39 equipment on the US, including RPK-74s.

Edited by mancat

I have to wonder if most of the complete demilled RPKs are gone and Cugir is scraping the bottom of the barrel. I would be interested in knowing if the others in the recent batch are mostly unmatching.

It's too bad about the 7n6 situation, because Romania has been slowly moving towards 5.56, and they would be the most likely country to dump a shit-ton of 5.45x39 equipment on the US, including RPK-74s.

I think you hit the nail on the head Mancat. My guess is the complete demills are pretty much gone. Maybe others will join in on experiences with the new batches.

Mine is almost done. Sight block pins came out fairly easily, but the FSB did not want to come off. It was on there tight. I finally got it straightened and re-pinned. I tore the gun down to the receiver, barrel, and GB, and have refinished everything. Parts will go into the oven sometime today. Re-assembly tomorrow. Wood is refinished, but have a couple more days on the topcoat finish.

• Like 1

that's a good trade. although interesting, those Nambu pistols are death traps.

Guess I got lucky. Shot well! What would kill ya was finding 8mm for it. This AES is not from the new batch. All matching was nice! I stripped her down,completely refinished her and then went and put about 2000 rounds thru her. All though really heavy, she's really fun to shoot. Accurate as well.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's my friend's AES-10B that I refinished the wood on, the wood came with no finish at all.

It's my bakelite mag, and I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to talk him into buying a 40 round bakelite mag for it.

Very fun gun to shoot.

142_3529.jpg

142_3530.jpg

142_3531.jpg

• Like 2