Okay folks. If you want your AES-10B, you'd probably better get it. My dealer pal who sold mine to me never engages in scare mongering, but he said today that a couple reps at Century has told him that after the current shipment goes out, there are no more AES-10Bs coming out of Romania. Don't let this slip past your fingers like many of us did with the Cugir-built PSLs that were cheap and plentiful once upon a time.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

purchased mine form jgsales aes10b/side folder. another awesome ak variant, so much fun to shoot with the bipod. finally got a rpk wood stock set for mine pictured with my romy m10

LOVE my AES 10B.... Modified the shit out of it.... you prolly don't want to know how much coinage I have in this thing but she's a beast....pure beast          

yes i think you should pick one up ASAP, seems to be gettin harder to find....or is it just me. finally got a nice complete laminated stock set for my rpk, actually took some elbow grease to get it

Posted Images

Thanks bud.. I got a 6x24 scope set up on my BP-02 and should hopefully have a chance to get some groups at 100/200yd within a few days. I'm interested in finding out if the AES-10B has a large accuracy edge on a standard AKM.

You're welcome. Please post your results, as I'm interested as well. I have always heard that the RPK's group better, but have not gotten it from the horses mouth so to speak. It's always been one of those "well I heard that Bob told Fred, that Jim's RPK grouped really nice". Would love to hear direct.

Okay. So I managed to get out today for some range time with a scoped AES-10B. Unfortunately I was not able to get my 6-24x44 BSA target scope on, as my rings were too short. Instead, I slapped on a civilian version of the PSO-1 4x scope (Pilad 4x32) with SVD reticle. This is actually an excellent scope for an AK, but 4x is a little low for my taste. It was hard to really see the center of the target at 200yd. A higher power optic will likely result in smaller groups. I also think that next time I will sandbag the rifle instead of using the bipod, as it's sort of hard to keep it completely steady when using the bipod, and it sits at an awkward level for scoped firing from the bench. The Tapco G2 FCG is also not fully broken in yet, so the break is less than ideal for scoped targeting. So even though I have a long list of excuses for not coughing up some sub-MOA groups, still, I was happy with what I got.

Ammo was all Wolf 123gr FMJ (Barual headstamp).

Note that the targets are office paper sheets. This puts the smallest targets at 100yd at about 2.5" overall spread. The lateral string on the blank sheet at 200yd is 3" spread - not sure where the other shots came from on this paper, as I only loaded a 5-round magazine for this target. I never saw the other guy on the 200yd line hit my target, but that's the only thing I can think of. One target circled in red also notes the difference between firing with and without the Romanian AIMR birdcage flash hider, which seems to raise the POI by about 1-1/2 to 2". I'll have to test for this again next time, as I really like the AIMR FH and want to keep it on there.

zgwEg.jpg

CSqPJ.jpg

Edited by mancat

It could just be the photo angle, but that brake looks like it was made for an offset detent pin a-la Krink. I've never even seen a brake like that before. It looks like a strange '74 clone. Is it on a 24mm adapter?

Does your bipod rattle? I see a rubber band or string there.

Edited by mancat

It could just be the photo angle, but that brake looks like it was made for an offset detent pin a-la Krink.

Could be??

med_gallery_24335_720_496540.jpg

I've never even seen a brake like that before. It looks like a strange '74 clone. Is it on a 24mm adapter?

it pretty much the same except it doesnt have any zigzag or half moon vents and lacks the bayonet mounting extension like the 74 styles have. It really rough. Yes im using a 24.1.5mmRH to 14x1LH thread adapter.

Does your bipod rattle? I see a rubber band or string there.

maybe if im running around with this heavy bastard it'll rattle. It IS looser than Id like. So I banded it for now until I can find a more authentic replacement.

Yeah Wolf is not exactly the most consistent, but it's what I have. Once I get my 6-24x44 on there I will try to get some groups with some higher quality 7.62x39. I'm not really a paper groups shooter, but I want to see where it really maxxes out.

Irons are fine, windage from the factory is perfect, no canted sights. There is a definite POI height change with bipod vs. no bipod, as mentioned earlier. I will be zeroing the sights with bipod folded off of sandbags at 100m next outing, so that manual elevation adjustment can be made when shooting from bipod. I believe the zero was set this way from the factory, but I started shooting on the bipod first and changed the front post elevation before I ever had the chance to shoot it with the bipod folded up.

Edited by mancat

It could just be the photo angle, but that brake looks like it was made for an offset detent pin a-la Krink.

I think you're right. It also fits my AK104 FSGB and it lines up perfectly with the 45* detent pin

• 5 weeks later...

I like mine but would like adjustable legs on the bipod.

And I doubt if that's the best place for a bipod, wouldn't it be more accurate attached to the lower handguard?

Sure it would be, but the RPK is not meant to be a sniper rifle. It's an area suppression weapon. However it is very accurate the way it is, other than bipod affecting POI when deployed vs. folded. Last week I was reliably knocking around one of those orange plastic gopher things at 200yd with mine (using 4x scope), at least until I shot the frame that it rides on.

Besides, there are many service rifles issued with barrel mounted bipods. The RPK is not an anomaly.

Edited by mancat

The bipod can be taken off. Iirc, pop the front sight base pins, tap off the FSB and remove the pod. YOu may have to spread the pod base a bit, but easily doable. When you reset your FSB, use a straight edge run along the center for the length of the rifle.

I mounted my bipod on a barrel mount rail between the gas block and the handgaurd. Legs fold forward, works great.

Thats the great thing about the RPK, it can be either or both(within its limits of course). Thats why I chose it. 10 & 20rnd mags loaded with better ammo for DMR use, 30+rndrs for suppresion.

LOVE my AES 10B.... Modified the shit out of it.... you prolly don't want to know how much coinage I have in this thing but she's a beast....pure beast

post-18515-0-12240200-1331349416.jpg

I was kind of getting the itch to modify mine a bit.....Could you possibly clue me in to which butt-stock and rail system you put on that fine looking specimen?

• 4 weeks later...

Well I finally broke down and bought an RPK kit from Apex and I guess I'll build it on a Cold Steel blank. AK-Builder is out of flats at the moment, and I still haven't built an inner die for my bending jig for the Yugo and Romy RPK receivers, so the CSS blank will be the quickest route.

A local gun buddy stopped by my place last week, and he had both a Romy RPK and Yugo M72 RPK. After handling them, I had to build one!!!!

Well I finally broke down and bought an RPK kit from Apex and I guess I'll build it on a Cold Steel blank. AK-Builder is out of flats at the moment, and I still haven't built an inner die for my bending jig for the Yugo and Romy RPK receivers, so the CSS blank will be the quickest route.

A local gun buddy stopped by my place last week, and he had both a Romy RPK and Yugo M72 RPK. After handling them, I had to build one!!!!

Im currently interested in making something similar. More of a khyber pass like this:

khyberyugosale001.jpg

but with a slant brake instead of the 74 style brake. Forsure want the hinged dust cover.

Edited by AZG

AZG, that's a pretty cool Kyber Pass. I've seen some nice Kyber Pass builds, and have wanted to build one for awhile, but unfortunately it's a ways down my build bucket list. I'm trying to do my builds in order of importance to my collection, which is hard sometimes. A Tula Krink was next on the list, but I have already built 4 similar in configuration to the Krink, so I decided to go the RPK route, since I don't have one in my collection. Really would have liked to go with the Yugo because I'm kinda partial to all things Yugo, but money dictated the Romy. I do kind of like the distinctive look of the Romy vs the Yugo though.

Yeah I just finished the mechanical portion of a Virgin M92 build, and disassembled it for blast and Ceracoat. It was the first one that I've built that has the hinged top cover. I DEFINITELY like that feature!!!!

AZG, that's a pretty cool Kyber Pass. I've seen some nice Kyber Pass builds, and have wanted to build one for awhile, but unfortunately it's a ways down my build bucket list.

Thanks, I hear ya. AKbuilder has a good kp kit for just over $475, no receiver, us barrel. But I went with one of the Maadi kits from apex. Got a romy barrel, ordered a 74ullc egyptian akm/kp style receiver w/plate, no selector marks. Sending it off to orion for the selector marks.

I'm trying to do my builds in order of importance to my collection, which is hard sometimes. A Tula Krink was next on the list, but I have already built 4 similar in configuration to the Krink, so I decided to go the RPK route, since I don't have one in my collection. Really would have liked to go with the Yugo because I'm kinda partial to all things Yugo, but money dictated the Romy. I do kind of like the distinctive look of the Romy vs the Yugo though.

Tis true, very hard sometimes. A tula krink would be nice but I am keeping my calibers down to a min. at the moment. Otherwise that would be #1 on the list. Good luck with that. It'll be a nice piece of history/art when you get it finished. and fun to shoot. post pics :). Wow, 4...im so far behind. RPKs are a great addition to any collection. Heavy bastards but fun. Still need to shoot my aes10b. still unfired :(. Yugo's are great. I really want to get a M70 PAP. Ive come to notice that Yugo put more detail into their guns, flip up night sights, LRBHO mags, BHO notch in the safty selector, that thing over the gas block...:) I cant wait to get my M92 side folder back. Just waiting on the builder. Romys are also great guns, I have a draco SBR that I love to shoot. Its definitely a great part of my collection. Here to aks and guns in general, I greatly enjoy thembeer.gif collecting as much as shooting.

Yeah I just finished the mechanical portion of a Virgin M92 build, and disassembled it for blast and Ceracoat. It was the first one that I've built that has the hinged top cover. I DEFINITELY like that feature!!!!

Congrats. I like the hinged cover too. Wouldn't mind one on my S12. I still want to get an underfolder. Its unfortunately at the bottom of the list. maybe in a year or two. Dont forget to post pics of your m92, those things are sweet.

AZG, man I'm envious of the 74Ullc receiver you're getting!! I'd love to build on one, but I don't have the patience to wait on one. LOL.

A local friend just recently got one of the new M70 PAP's and I was really impressed with it as well. Top cover was a bit cheesy, but other than that, it was a very nice rifle. Good fit/finish, and the stocks were beautiful.

You're having the M92 built with a side folder? What type of side folder? That sounds interesting. I love the look of the underfolder, and have several, but I'm not a big fan of the ergonomics. I actually rebuilt one of my M70 u/f into a fixed stock. It's one of my favorites now. Yeah, I think the M92 would look great with a triangular side folder.

Guy on Gunco is parting out 1-1/2 M92's and I have the chance to get a top cover/hinge block. Only problem is that there is a local gun show today, and if I want to go to the shaow, well then that's mu gun funds for this week. LOL.

Forgot to mention that I got my RPK kit yesterday from Apex. Looks good. A bit worn, but it's trunnion is dated 1970, so that's to be expected. I cleaned and inspected everything last night. Then removed the trunnion rivets and cleaned all the holes. Gonna go ahead and headspace and install the barrel components while I'm waiting on the CSS blank. Big issue is the wood will definitely need refinishing. On most of my builds I use my own concoction for a nice "Russian Red" look, but on this one I want to get the Romy color as close to original as I can. I need to figure out what method/products others are using to get an original looking finish.

AZG, man I'm envious of the 74Ullc receiver you're getting!! I'd love to build on one, but I don't have the patience to wait on one. LOL.

Yeah, the wait isnt too bad compared to some of the stuff Ive had to wait for. Still waiting on my 030 refund. but to me its worth the wait for the extra Y and I stamps.

A local friend just recently got one of the new M70 PAP's and I was really impressed with it as well. Top cover was a bit cheesy, but other than that, it was a very nice rifle. Good fit/finish, and the stocks were beautiful.

yep, needs a new top cover, but like you said, good finish and beautiful furniture.

You're having the M92 built with a side folder? What type of side folder? That sounds interesting. I love the look of the underfolder, and have several, but I'm not a big fan of the ergonomics. I actually rebuilt one of my M70 u/f into a fixed stock. It's one of my favorites now. Yeah, I think the M92 would look great with a triangular side folder.

yep, the russian triangle folder. Might get a poly set from ronin as I have a poly folder JIC.

gallery_24335_781_19580.jpg

Guy on Gunco is parting out 1-1/2 M92's and I have the chance to get a top cover/hinge block. Only problem is that there is a local gun show today, and if I want to go to the shaow, well then that's mu gun funds for this week. LOL.

apex has m85 hinge covers, not sure if they are the same...

Forgot to mention that I got my RPK kit yesterday from Apex. Looks good. A bit worn, but it's trunnion is dated 1970, so that's to be expected. I cleaned and inspected everything last night. Then removed the trunnion rivets and cleaned all the holes. Gonna go ahead and headspace and install the barrel components while I'm waiting on the CSS blank. Big issue is the wood will definitely need refinishing. On most of my builds I use my own concoction for a nice "Russian Red" look, but on this one I want to get the Romy color as close to original as I can. I need to figure out what method/products others are using to get an original looking finish.

check the akforum, lots of refinishing threads threre. you'll need your isp email to access it though. but loads of good info in the Build it yourself section.

good luck. sounds great!

• 3 months later...

Any news on the RPK front? I'll be using mine in the Zombie Shoot Competition(http://zombieshoot.homestead.com/index.html) this weekend. Took third last time, firing 11shots to down 6-7 Zombies at 25-70yrds(forehead shots), resting on elbow in a second story window. Wife said come the Zompocolypse, she's gonna sit me on the roof with my RPK and just keep feeding me(food and ammo), lol.