Questions about this forearm.

Greetings. Newbie to Saiga conversions, AK's, etc.

CSS is closed on weekends or Id just call them. I was looking at this forearm and have a couple questions I was hoping one of you may know the answer to:

1. I really like the look of a partially exposed gas tube -- will this leave a couple/ few inches of it exposed? I think it will, but not sure.
  2. Will this thing heat up as bad/ quickly as the stock forearm? I ask because it doesnt say anything about heat.
  3. I noticed the warning "Requires an upper and lower retaining bracket for Saiga Rifles.". So looking on that same website I found this part .... is this extra $50 part what their referring to? I cant find one for the upper (assuming it's also $50), but if an extra $50 or $100 is required for my conversion budget, this whole idea of mine may just be toast. :-(

All help is greatly appreciated!

The upper retaining bracket is on the gas tube so you will need a different gas tube also. There are some other rails made for the Saiga that do not need the retainer bracket so do a search.

Good to know, thanks!

Regarding this one:

• I really like the look of a partially exposed gas tube -- will this leave a couple/ few inches of it exposed? I think it will, but not sure.
  • Will this thing heat up as bad/ quickly as the stock forearm? It says it will reduce heat -- is that marketing or the real deal?

Yup. Gas tube and lower hand guard retainer is all you need for AK hand guard choices. There are also Saiga specific ones as ironhead7544 mentioned. Keep reading your getting there.

Gas tubes are easy to change. Just don't forget to take bolt carrier out.

Edited by NM0

Gas tubes are easy to change. Just don't forget to take bolt carrier out.

HA! Nice. "Damn this thing! No matter how hard I pull this tube WILL NOT COME OUT!"

Greetings. Newbie to Saiga conversions, AK's, etc.

CSS is closed on weekends or Id just call them. I was looking at this forearm and have a couple questions I was hoping one of you may know the answer to:

1. I really like the look of a partially exposed gas tube -- will this leave a couple/ few inches of it exposed? I think it will, but not sure.
  2. Will this thing heat up as bad/ quickly as the stock forearm? I ask because it doesnt say anything about heat.
  3. I noticed the warning "Requires an upper and lower retaining bracket for Saiga Rifles.". So looking on that same website I found this part .... is this extra $50 part what their referring to? I cant find one for the upper (assuming it's also $50), but if an extra $50 or $100 is required for my conversion budget, this whole idea of mine may just be toast. :-(

All help is greatly appreciated!

If you get this HG let me know how it works and post some pics. I've been eyeing the exact same one from CSS

Thanks.

So Im discovering that my choices, based on my budget, are pretty limited. For all thats good in the world, doesnt anyone make this, or something like the first one I was looking at above, that doesnt require other new parts (gas tube, bracket)? I dont want a rail that goes all the way to the end of the gas tube, but need a bottom rail.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Have seen it, but has really mixed reviews. Thanks.

I've been rocking it on mine for almost a year (I plan to go to "classic" AK look but don't have the time/work bench/funds to do so right now).

you can ask me anything you like about it, I'd say it's pretty solid for what it is.

Have seen it, but has really mixed reviews. Thanks.
I've been rocking it on mine for almost a year (I plan to go to "classic" AK look but don't have the time/work bench/funds to do so right now). you can ask me anything you like about it, I'd say it's pretty solid for what it is.

Its likely where I'll end up, just lookin for last minute options before pulling the trigger. My only other rail in the running is this, but Im worried about the weight, and also not into rails that go that "far". Tell me, could the front of that Tapco be cut off, say where it starts to angle down? Is the end of it utilized for securing it? Still not really what Im after, but would like it more if it was closer to the look Im after. Also, how does it do with heat?

Edited by cfr

Buy a stock kvar handguard. Comes with a heat shield and just drill and put a rail on it. you will need a new gas tube and lower retaining bracket but those are easy to put on.

The extra parts totally blow my budget. Wine taste and a beer budget is making life difficult.

Gotta watch some of those Leapers, some are counterfeit and don't have a US made stamp on them anywhere from what I read across the net.

Thanks.

Found another potential. To summarize:

Can anyone tell me how any of these 3 do with heat?

1. http://store.carolin...il?sfs=275af82e
  2. http://www.lowpriceg...duct.php_358316
  3. http://www.tapco.com...d&productId=155

I may be able to live without the rail on the galil, but really don't want to switch seats on the titanic when it comes to the heat issue. None of them are really what Im dying to have, but none require an extra $80 in parts to install (gas tube ($30) plus lower retainer ($50)).

Thanks!

Edited by cfr

Found another potential. To summarize:

Can anyone tell me how any of these 3 do with heat?

1. http://store.carolin...il?sfs=275af82e
  2. http://www.lowpriceg...duct.php_358316
  3. http://www.tapco.com...d&productId=155

I may be able to live without the rail on the galil, but really don't want to switch seats on the titanic when it comes to the heat issue. None of them are really what Im dying to have, but none require an extra $80 in parts to install (gas tube ($30) plus lower retainer ($50)).

Thanks!

HAHA, I guess I can help you with TWO of these hand guards now.

okay, so the Intrafuse Tri-Rail questions you asked. The front does have a barrel "clamp" that is needed, so I don't think you could cut it like you're talking about without losing major stability. The thing is great with heat. I don't exactly mag dump or anything, but I prefer the heat protection of this "rail" over the stock Saiga hand guard. if you want even better protection you could line the inside with aluminum ducting material to act as a heat shield, too. I basically like this hand guard for the following reasons: price, heat protection, attatching an AFG or VG, it would probably be decent for putting a light or laser on as well, or you could just leave the side rails off (they're optional). I would say the downside is that it probably is no where near as durable as the metal rails (I'd like the MI rails for example).

The Galil hand guard FUCKING SUCKS. Even Tapco acknowledges this. And yes, I had the "newer" one. The biggest problem is the weak "retainer" they give you (the plastic "bolt" on mine broke easily while installing). The top grill is the cheapest possible flimsy plastic.Some people mod these hand gaurds and/or their rifle to make it fit better/more securely. If you COULD do that, it's a nice grip you gain. but I'd stay away from it.

The SGM Tri-rail, I think, is VERY similiar to the Intrafuse Tri-rail. I'd bet it is a little more solid knowing SGM . . .

Personally, like I said before, the Intrafuse Tri is just a temporary thing until I can afford to either "convert" the front of my rifle or get a good bolt-on retainer and gast tuve, etc.

The Galil hand guard FUCKING SUCKS.

Dont hold back, tell us how you really feel. biggrin.png

The SGM Tri-rail, I think, is VERY similiar to the Intrafuse Tri-rail. I'd bet it is a little more solid knowing SGM . . .

I've been looking at this all day, and its growing on me. If anyone has any feedback on this one, please dont be shy.

Thanks!

Try copy/paste this in google and enjoy the info.

site:forum.saiga-12.com saiga 12 forum SGM fore arm

Guess my search-fu has developed over the years. Originally I just went through every page one by one. It takes time but the amount of info acquired is endless. Sometimes asking gets the same answers...there's more out there.

Edited by NM0
  • 1 month later...

Yes they do, just depends on what you want. Wood will require a retainer. Many of the new aluminum hand guards do not require it. Just as a FYI though, the metal hand guards can add a lot of weight. I put a UTG on my .223 and do not like it at all. Trying to get my hands on a TWS handguard, if they would just make some more.............

I can only add input on two of the choices, and offer alternatives perhaps... Here is my .223 with the UTG/Leapers quad rail:

post-20073-0-80364500-1335707218_thumb.jpg

It was HEAVY, and added quite a bit of perceived "bulk" to the front end. Still, with the AFG, it was manageable. It would just get heavy if I carried it a long time... It DID cool the rifle quickly, and had mounting options.

Moral of the story: Mine is sitting in my parts bin. Want to buy one at half retail? (see picture) wink.png

Mine was a "temporary" measure- Like others have done. I eventually modified my stock HG, adding some sheet metal as a heat shield and mounting a rail at the "9 oclock" position... I got an UltimAK M2-B mount for my optic... As a package deal from a major retailer that isn't a sponsor here (can't list a link)... Less expensive than you think!

post-20073-0-78712400-1335707558_thumb.jpg

That said, I converted restored a 7.62 with a friend two weeks ago- he chose the SGM tri rail, with the possible notion that he may ADD the top rail portion someday if he feels like it... And I was pretty impressed with how it looked and mounted.

Although it did not have an integral heat shield, (is that important? ADD YOUR OWN!) it is solid, and mounted the same way a Saiga factory HG mounts- utilizing the lugs on the GB. I LIKE that actually, and I think it sets Saigas apart in the AK world...

Sorry, no pic of the mounted SGM right now...sad.png

Now: Same question I asked my friend when he was considering the same question YOU are... WHY do you need a top rail portion? What do you plan to mount there?

If you say "optic", consider that co witness will not even be an option for you then... I base this on experiential fact, so just consider that point...

If you want cowitness, the top rail portion is moot.

I'm actually going back to the smooth gas tube, and THIS I think... With my humble, modified HG.

post-20073-0-11315600-1335708242.jpg

THIS front end costs nothing but time and electricity: (accesories extra, of course)

post-20073-0-84643000-1335708497_thumb.jpg

Wow... This was a WHILE ago... In progression of this rifle. (SGM mags!!! LOL- still have one modded for BG.)

post-20073-0-04383600-1335708655_thumb.jpg

(Look for that Ultimak and railed, modified factory HG sold here soon, perhaps! )

There are some ideas I hope...

Edited by bohound