Inexpensive Stocks and Conversion

So, after my 10 day wait, I finally pickup up my Saiga 308 today!!!

Although originally I wasn't planning to do a conversion, I did a lot of reading during the wait period, and have decided now that I will go ahead and convert it.

I'm planning to order the following from Dinzag (After the 12th, as apparently they are not taking orders until the 12th).

Fire Control Group: FCGPGC3 This trigger includes the disconnector spring.

Conversion kit: CONVKIT (includes AK PG Nut & Screw, Drills, Hex Key & Hole Plugs)

Trigger Guard: TGRAM

I will also include AK Retaining plate for $7, since I've read that it should be useful.

So now, I'm looking for a decent (yet inexpensive- or my wife will use the Saiga to shoot me!) stock set.

I see that Carolina Shooters Supply has a folding Tapco stock for around $34. But, since I live in CA, this may be a problem unless I can pin it in the unfolded position.

Is there anything else in this price range that looks similar? I've also seen at CSS an Ace Skeleton stock, but it is twice the price, and it looks like I need to get some sort of adaptor block for it. Any other decent stocks that are cheaper? I like the look of the skeleton stock, but could be interested in other types as well, if the price is right.

If worse comes to worse, I suppose I can just get an original style Tapco, but it would be neat to have something more interesting looking.

Thanks!

The tapco sidefolder is really not very sturdy in my opinion, I really wouldn't want to use it on a 308. Now for the shameless plug, if you look in my sig line I am selling a custom 308 stock set, feel free to make me a reasonable offer if you are interested.

http://www.k-var.com...&cat=367&page=1

For a standard, traditional AK stock, that ^ is the best, at the cheapest price (new unblemished is about $50). FWIW, my personal experience with Tapco butt stocks, shows that you get what you pay for.

+1, this is what I went with on mine. Followed with this (http://www.k-var.com...89&cat=0&page=2) and this (http://www.k-var.com...productid=16383). Meets 922 compliance with Bulgy parts as long as you dont use a foreign muzzle device if you end up going full conversion. If you buy csspecs or other US made mags you are even more in the clear, as those add another 3 US parts. I wont knock tapco stocks, as I have their set on my Norinco and it has held up very well to hundreds of rounds. I dont know how well it would handle the 308 and dont think I want to find out though. If you want wood, Ironwood designs is popular and make some very nice sets with lots of options, for a price.

Edited by VR6Shooter

+2 You get what you pay for, and if your anything like me when I do try to save a buck I will kick myself later for not getting what I wanted the first go around and in the end lose money on getting what I want. FYI I put the DPH skeleton on my S12 and love it, it's well made and sturdy for a folder bought it through CSS. Good luck with your build!

OK, I searched this forum, and found some favorable reviews of the Tapco T6 adjustable (not folding) stock. Since Dinzag carries that one, I went ahead and placed an order for all of the stuff through Dinzags site (FCG, Conversion kit, trigger guard, retaining plate, pistol grip, and T-6 Stock). Hopefully should work out OK. Can't wait to do the conversion.

Kvar is a good inexpensive stock. I have one on my 16" 5.45 and it's solid and comfortable and looks great. I must say though my favorite setup so far is a Magpul CTR on a Vltor adapter tube on my 20" 5.45. That's not a cheap setup but boy oh boy is it worth every penny. Nice as the Kvar is, the Magpul has a way better cheek weld and more comfortable and steady shoulder grip. Another good option is that Phoenix adjustable recoil reducing stock. My Dad has one of those and it's pretty nice. Good cheek weld and feels solid, even if it's not the prettiest option out there. I think they're around 70 dollars so it's not too much money.

• 2 weeks later...

The tapco side folders are, well . . . cheap. That said I have had no issues, nor seen or even heard of issues with a standard tapco fixed stock. I have used them on the 308 and well as the S12. They are fine. My preferred set up is to use a magpul CTR on an adpater (which BTW I've been doing back when Suarez was claiming he would never put one on his gun and his minions mocked the set up, not since he has started pimping them and very nearly acting like he was the one who discovered the setup). That is not a cheap set up though. If I am after cheap a fixed tapco stock is the cheapest and works just fine.

• Like 1

The tapco side folders are, well . . . cheap. That said I have had no issues, nor seen or even heard of issues with a standard tapco fixed stock. I have used them on the 308 and well as the S12. They are fine. My preferred set up is to use a magpul CTR on an adpater (which BTW I've been doing back when Suarez was claiming he would never put one on his gun and his minions mocked the set up, not since he has started pimping them and very nearly acting like he was the one who discovered the setup). That is not a cheap set up though. If I am after cheap a fixed tapco stock is the cheapest and works just fine.

Same here. I know it's fashionable to disparage Tapco at any available opportunity but the fixed stocks are the cheapest out there and they aren't going to break any quicker than more expensive ones. That means never, under normal usage. K-Var has better finish but not better fit, at least on my 12 and 308, not to mention my "cheap" Tapco came with screws and my K-Var didn't.

I can't comment on folders as I've never used one nor ever intend to.

• Like 1