Nothing Cycling on Number One Setting!

I might have a problem with my 410. On the first outing we shot 40 rounds in Remington #6 express long-range and 50 rounds of Winchester #6 expert game loads (all 3"). Nothing would cycle on the #1 setting. So I chalked it up to it being a brand-new shotgun needing breaking in. But after putting 90 rounds through it it wasn't happening. Everything shot just fine using #2. I removed the plug-in checked and there seems to be plenty of 'powder residue' in tube so the ports are not clogged.When I removed the Factory Gas adjustment knob I noticed that there was no notch for setting #1 I'm attaching a picture, maybe somebody can tell me if it's supposed to be like that. Anyway, I ordered the MD ARMS V Plug and Gas Piston (Plug). Went back out for another test. And we shot:

#4 3" Winchester Sup X High Brass (50ea):

#4 3" Golden bear (5ea)

Slugs 3" Silver Bear (8ea)

#6 3" Remington Express (25ea)

Using the new MD Arms plug-in piston, NOTHING would cycle on #1 (FTE, couldn't even tell if the slide moved) or #2 (FTE, stove piped) only the #4 Winchester would cycle reliably using #3, everything else needed to be set at #4 for reliability.

Maybe I am just using weak ass ammo!

post-38987-0-95335200-1331500774_thumb.jpg

Edited by Themajickman

your factory plug looks good to me. i use the v-plug on my s-12.

have you checked the ports with an angled pick or bent paper clip?

were you following the v-plug instructions? for me the settings can be difficult to read. i scored the full open and full close with a file.

is your puck facing the correct way in the gas block?

So what you're saying is the factory plug has no relief cut for the #1 one position? We checked the ports with a paperclip and they seemed to be fine. I am pretty sure we followed the instructions correctly and a settings were easily readable. Per the instructions the puck has to the letters facing the piston. I suspect that either the ammunition was not 'hot' enough, or it needs to be broken in more. I am going to order some OOO' or OO' shells and hopefully that will do the trick.

your factory plug looks good to me. i use the v-plug on my s-12.

have you checked the ports with an angled pick or bent paper clip?

were you following the v-plug instructions? for me the settings can be difficult to read. i scored the full open and full close with a file.

is your puck facing the correct way in the gas block?

Edited by Themajickman

breaking in by shooting can work. you might consider a re-profile of your bolt and hammer. then polish of the bolt, carrier, rails and hammer face. it really makes a world of difference.

smooth running internals require less gas to cycle.

have you or are you going to convert it back to normal ?

I'm going to try shooting some stronger ammunition and see what happens. I definitely agree that polishing-reprofiling the internal parts will make a lot of difference.

I don't believe I can put it back to the sporting configuration even if I wanted. I don't believe converting it has any effect on how it cycles. Anyway, I thought I was putting it back to 'normal' when I converted it. 032.gif

breaking in by shooting can work. you might consider a re-profile of your bolt and hammer. then polish of the bolt, carrier, rails and hammer face. it really makes a world of difference.

smooth running internals require less gas to cycle.

have you or are you going to convert it back to normal ?

Edited by Themajickman
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey...you helped me in the past & hope I can return the favor. I've done quite a bit of research for a new Saiga 410. Total noob, but looks like some "problems" with the 410 have the same resolution as Saiga 12? Take a look at this forum thread:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/50571-how-do-i-polish-the-bolt/

Check out Pauly's Custom. There are much more qualified on Saiga-12.com that want to do themselves, but with these critical parts I would want an expert. Have yet to find any negative comments ANYWHERE about his work.

Keep us posted on your problem/resolution.