Yes it cocks the hammer just fine. If I hold the trigger the hammer engages the dissconnect like one would expect. The bolt works soo much better now and am sure it was the contact between all these parts that was causing too much drag making the FTE issue.

I wish someone would have told me not to go crazy and I would have probably not gone too far.

The bolt and carrier work much better now but how long before my bolt snaps in half?

post-41092-0-74978900-1337274457_thumb.jpg

post-41092-0-14368100-1337274475_thumb.jpg

Looks like Pauleys business is safe with these results...

horror.gif

OMG.

My condolences.

Ouch.

So when someone asks how far is too far, it looks like I found out where they were asking about. I guess my next question is now what?

send some PMs out to people who can fix it, im sure pauly can but by his reply it looks like he wants nothing to do with it, try C&S metall-werkes, maybe cadiz gun works or tac47, not sure if they do that kind of stuff but it can't hurt to ask

• Like 1

So when someone asks how far is too far, it looks like I found out where they were asking about. I guess my next question is now what?

send some PMs out to people who can fix it, im sure pauly can but by his reply it looks like he wants nothing to do with it, try C&S metall-werkes, maybe cadiz gun works or tac47, not sure if they do that kind of stuff but it can't hurt to ask

Yeah, not really a job I chase & try to bid for after doing a few.

I've done a few repairs of bolts like that & a few carrier repairs & the bolts end up taking me all day to repair then re-profile to my satisfaction. Minorly cracked carriers are better, but still a P.I.T.A..

In conversation either Jack or Ray one has said he could do the bolt really quick.... I forget which one. Maybe hit those guys up.

With the time it takes me to do it right, I'd have to charge a couple hundred & do it as a back-burner deal.

I'd say the best bet is to look for another bolt, or buy a gun, keep the bolt & part the rest of it out to recoup your losses. (or just part out the gun you have, keeping the conversion parts, and re-start on the new gun since all the #'s would match & the headspacing would be right that way)

There's people out there desperate for carriers (like forum member Sunnybean), some that want barrels, some who screwed up by extending the gas block's hole toward the receivers making their regulators useless & need a new gas block,(Cobra's looking for a gas block for a previous client of his), and 1 or 2 guys who wouldn't mind a new receiver (Tac-47 was looking for a receiver/trunnion assembly for a project a while back), Some wouldn't mind the dust cover for if they ever decided to go back from an open-gun setup back to stock then add a Vertical Charger for their left hand charging, then Dinzag would probably buy the gas tube for his AK RSB kits...

There... Sold most of it for ya' already. happy.png

I'm thinking if you played your cards right, you could make back everything but $100.00 or so bucks by parting the rest out...

Shit, I'll give you $50.00 for the bolt's extractor & FP assembly just to keep as a spare set.

Just pay 5 Bucks to become a forum contributor. You can sell the parts here & in the WTS section for just a $5.00 contribution as long as you did it just once & didn't try to make a business out of it. I'm sure they'd go quick.

• Like 1

I'd say, it's worth a shot on MIGing, and I don't know on the safety part with how it stands.

Is it a fun toy for the weekends to shoot birdshot, or a tool you want to bet your family's life on with rounds that could put a bear on his ass?

If you decide to MIG it, if you can get a piece of brass rod & turn it down to the right size to fit in the bolt-body's cavity, that would help as a backer as well as a heat sink. bending a piece of copper sheet, cut from a piece of copper pipe would be a second best alternative if one lacks a lathe to turn a brass rod down.

The the channel in the carrier & the 3rd lug which initiates rotation as it hits the barrel hood make it so the bolt's body has to rotate the bolt's locking lugs into their embutments before the carrier can come forward enough for the tail end of the bolt to clear the rear of the carrier's safety bump there which prevents the hammer from striking the FP prematurely, so if there's a failure, it will likely be due to the tail of the bolt's impacting the trunnion & crack would likely develop across the bolt rather than down the center, so it probably wouldn't be dangerous, but from pics it's hard to see how thin everything is.

I have specially modified Mitutoyo precision measuring equipment to ensure GlassBolt stays thick enough & strong, because these vary bolt to bolt in every dimension you can think of.

Nobody can look at those pictures & say anything for sure when it comes to a definite potential for catastrophic failure with varied loads or not.

Sorry about that..

Shannon says these bolts have held up, but I don't know how much he fires the guns or with what type of ammo. Maybe ask him?

This shotgun to me is for play only. I will likely only use low brass wally word shootem up bird shot shells in multi gun matches at our local club. I don't forsee slugs or buck shot requirements this year but who know about the future.

I consider myself a gunsmith (and I meant that very loosely) hobbyist - but do not do any major work on self defense guns and demand 100% reliability. Guns I shoot in USPSA style matches I love to "tune up."

My plan was to have a glass bolt job done, but time got short for a match I wanted to shoot this past weekend. I went ahead and tried the gun out and it ran better but still failed to eject reliably with 7/8oz loads. So after all the rushing and potentially junking my gun I ended up running the mossberg 930 sxp. Pauley you are definitely getting the bolt out of the ak47 I plan on converting later this year. Money well spent in keeping my blood pressure low from doing stupid stuff.

I always tell people that I normally like to do it wrong first that way I never forget, and unfortunately I have once again learned something.

I don't have the ability to lathe something down and am a pretty terrible welder. I am thankful to be getting useful feedback but am still unsure what to do next....

Edited by chillywig