Looking for Saiga 7.62x39r gunsmith/converter in the Sacramento Califo

Looking for someone to convert my Saiga to accept standard AK47 mags, I do not want to ship it anywhere. I want to have detachable mags so i'm going to keep the sporter stock.

Can anyone tell me if this is a legal california conversion? Is it also legal if I use my pre-ban AK47 30round mags with the the Saiga?

If you convert it to accept standard capacity mags you're going to run into Federal 922 ® issues. It will no longer be in "sporting configuration" as far as they are concerned so you will have to play the parts swap game. As far as California Assault weapons laws you would be fine to use your hi-cap mags that you owned prior to 2000 as the rifle would be "featureless". You could also do a full conversion and then just run a Kydex grip fin on the pistol grip. Grip fin = unable to get a pistol grip type hold = no longer a "pistol" grip as far as CA is concerned. As long as you don't have any other "evil features" on the rifle you woul be good to go. California "evil features" are: Pistol grip, flash hider, collapsible stock, folding stock, forward pistol grip, mounted flare or grenade launcher. Note that a bayonet lug is not a CA evil feature, and that muzzle brakes and compensators are legal.

If you want to have evil features you would have to do a fixed mag build and could only run 10 round mags or less. Never use a +10 round mag in a fixed mag build regardless of any other evil features, if it has a higher than 10 round mag in a fixed mag config it is an assault weapon in CA.

Both grip fins and mag locks are available from Solas Tactical and other places. I am in no way affiliated with solar tactical, but I do plan on getting a grip wrap from them.

As far as the gunsmith, if you don't want to do it yourself check calguns.net, you should be able to find a member who would be willing to walk you through the process in person, or do it for you.

my friend please go through c.s.s - carolina shooting supplies or dinzagarms. Both vender have excellent package deals. I would recommend via internet for package deals (trigger group,stock,pistol grip). If you go via gun shows: only solar tactical -hayward,ca is a local vendor. good price too. At the gun show:

i bought a fresh tapco g2 trigger group, but had to modify it like hell (especially the hammer) buy this via c.s.s .....less pain, california magazine bullet block for ak (solar tactical vendor $40.00).I just completed conversion on IZ332 saiga. Bullet guide .....got it from dizagarms. i had a flat trunnion. ak Magazine- look for a 10/30 magazine at the gun show... it looks like a 30 rd. mag but only hold 10 rd. or modify any 30rd magazine to accept only 10rds.

Edited by smanuta