Hi, My name is mark. But my friends call me slim or slimmy, cause i'm not. smile.png I recently bought a used Saiga 12 that was in very good condition with very few blemishes or scratches. It was an originaI IZHMASH in stock configuration. I had been wanting one for over a year but didn't really know much about them. I was so excited when I stumbled on one for 350.00 dollars. Several people have told me it was a steal. Right away I started looking at others online. But mine didn't look like everyone else's. I finally learned about the trigger conversion and after a bunch more research I was placing an order with carolina shooters supply. Well, I now have right at a grand invested in the saiga 12 and I am very happy with the look and performance of the shotgun. I still want to add the folder to it though. I did however make one mistake. sad.png I added the tromix stock to it and now I would like to put an original AK style stock on it. But I cut the mounting tab off the rear trunion. What do I do now? Can a replacement rear trunion be purchased for the saiga 12? I have not found one anywhere. I have also added a three inch flash hider to the barrel and the barrel is so long. I would like to shorten the barrel to 18 inches overall with the flash hider permanently affixed. I do have the correct threading die and alignment tool. But I'm not sure if the barrel needs to be turned down a little before threading. Also do I just continue on threading from the originals? Then cut the barrel off or do I cut the barrel then restart threading from scratch? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Here is a picture of my baby in its current configuration. smile.png

post-41148-0-12269200-1331729742_thumb.jpg

If you have still have the tang then a good welder should be able to put that back on there for you...and by good welder I mean someone that does it for a living and has built a good reputation for it in your area.

If you have the die and TAT then just cut your barrel off where you want it and thread it from there, starting at the original threads and threading 2"-3"+ is alot of work just to cut off most of it and get threads that may not be concentric to the bore.

You need to press the barrel out prior to cutting it below 18" and then permanently attach your muzzle device before you press the barrel back in to be legal.

I would have the tang and FH welded on at the same time, also.

ETA legal stuff.

Edited by Barnett3006

by origional AK stock you mean wood stock or Poly? cause if its wood, your still in buisness. Get you a wood stock, cut the double L shaped lip off the front, this is the portion that should go inside the gun itself... once you do that, you'll have a flat mounting surface, open your folding mechanism, use it to mark where the screws should sit, drill you some small pilot holes, use some course threaded wood screws and screw the wood stock to the folding unit.... you now have a traditional looking AK stock.... which can still fold if needed for space. Use an internal block on the gun to hold the folding mechanism on. Alternately, the internal block can be screwed directly to the wood stock itself after the flush cut and will take the place of the wooden L stepps you cut off it allowing a decent securement point without use of the tang if you were interested in not useing a folder mechanism at all...

one could ALSO use an Ace Pig nose adapter on the internal block, a metal tube threaded at the end to fit it... use a spade bit to bore a hole in the wood stock to fit the tube, you'll want the fit way snug, then pilot a screw hole thru the bottom of the wood stock up into the metal tube to lock it all solid... harder to explaine than do but hopefully you get the idea... I tried this once, worked well solid but then I was trying to fiddle with it and make a collapsable wood stock on an AR tube and it all got weird LOL.... would have worked fine, just wasen't worth it to me to persue farther at the time. Maby one day I'll get back to it. Internal tube for the wood stock dosen't need to be more than 3 or 4 inches long, you just want a solid lock up between em, not a hollow running all the way thru.

now, if you were after the Poly look like has become real popular lately... your gonna have to get a whole lot more creative... and welding your tang back on may be your only option, if you no longer have the Tang, i'm sure someone on the forums has one lieing around they cut off one with no real intent of ever reinstalling that you could get off em for nothing or near to it.

as far as your barrel threading question goes, I think its been answered sufficiently but I will add ( not meaning to question your smerts or anything boss, but I've seen it happon a time or two ) make sure when you take your measurements you take into account the overlap of the 2 threaded portions... don't measure the barrel, and the break seperately, then decide you need to cut X off only to find that once you screw the break back on your now 1/2 inch too short overall... I know I know... only a fool...... but it does happon

anyway man, Welcome aboard, keep us posted with pics if you can manage it....

Edited by datrowl

Lots of good advice about options for the stock. Your question about shortening the barrel yourself to attach a brake for an overall barrel length of 18" has been answered here: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/75023-cutting-down-the-barrel/

I still want to add the folder to it though. I did however make one mistake. sad.png I added the tromix stock to it and now I would like to put an original AK style stock on it. But I cut the mounting tab off the rear trunion. What do I do now?

Hi Mark, maybe have a look into this option. I have done it for my S12.

ACE folder/WOODSTOCK INSTALL

And please read the entire thread before attempting anything.

Thanks

AZG

Edited by AZG
  • Like 2

I think is AWESOME your gents are suggesting that slimmy commit a felony. Cutting a barrel below 18" on a shotgun is illegal without the proper licensing...regardless if you weld something back on over the 18" minimum length.

GREAT JOB BARNETT3006 and Datrowl!! GREAT JOB!!

dude, all I said was don't fail to take into account the overlap, no where did I say what length he should or should NOT cut the barrel to, I don't know the man, I don't know his Licensing status.

Ya know what diude, take your all red capslock and shove it straight up your fuckin ass.... I'm fucking done with you

Don't bother to ban me, I won't be back.... gimp bitch

• Like 1

unsure.png

from the OP...

I would like to shorten the barrel to 18 inches overall with the flash hider permanently affixed.

STP61413.jpg

he already knows it has to be atleast 18" with a permanently attached FH...

Regardless of how long it is AFTER THE FACT he still would have had to cut it below 18" and add back in the FH to make the AOL of 18". So even for a wrinkle in time it would have been CUT LESS THEN the legal length.

any AK rear trunion can be made to work. APEX or other sources should have some. Also, since no one mentioned it, cutting to below 18in (and welding an attachment), which you can do, with the stock length gas system, can lead to a loss of pressure and some tuning difficulty, i went with an 18in barrel +muzzle attachment, for this reason, its not much of a length difference, and i would rather have the flawless that it provided, without the extra worries.

Wow! I didn't know it was illegal to cut my barrel down bellow 18"s then pin and weld on a break for an overall length of a little over 18". I had a gunsmith cut my 10 22 barrel down, thread it and install a permanent break. Is it just illegal for me to do it? Or anyone? Like a gunsmith.

unsure.png

from the OP...

I would like to shorten the barrel to 18 inches overall with the flash hider permanently affixed.

post-41148-0-12269200-1331729742_thumb.jpg

he already knows it has to be atleast 18" with a permanently attached FH...

Regardless of how long it is AFTER THE FACT he still would have had to cut it below 18" and add back in the FH to make the AOL of 18". So even for a wrinkle in time it would have been CUT LESS THEN the legal length.

I fixed my original reply...

If you have still have the tang then a good welder should be able to put that back on there for you...and by good welder I mean someone that does it for a living and has built a good reputation for it in your area.

If you have the die and TAT then just cut your barrel off where you want it and thread it from there, starting at the original threads and threading 2"-3"+ is alot of work just to cut off most of it and get threads that may not be concentric to the bore.

You need to press the barrel out prior to cutting it below 18" and then permanently attach your muzzle device before you press the barrel back in to be legal.

I would have the tang and FH welded on at the same time, also.

ETA legal stuff.

Barnett - Barrel in, barrel out makes absolutely no difference. It is a felony for an unlicensed person, without an appropriate tax stamp, to cut the barrel of shotgun below 18" for any length of time, for any purpose. Period.

http://forum.saiga-1...own-the-barrel/