Cut down Promag box 10's to 5's ??

Back when these were first introduced, I invested in these when the price was still reasonable. Since then I have tried the various fixes to make them reliable. They are much improved, but still not 100%. I have come to the conclusion that ultimately the springs are not strong enough. I am planning to get a MDA drum (or two) but I don't want to part with the mags that I have so much time and money invested in. Question is, has anyone cut the 10-rounders down to 5's and did it fix the feed issues?

Did you add plastic to the front of the follower to prevent it from tilting forward and making the round nose dive?

No, because nose-diving isnt my issue. The shells won't advance as fast as they need to.

Edited by TheDarkHorse

did you try stretching the springs out about 6 inches? I think it was pauly from pauly's steelin that said it worked on the 10 or 12's but I'm thinking it was the 12's. I used on my 12 rdr's. Contact Pauly or search it out and see what he says.

Edited by Guns Are Great

did you try stretching the springs out about 6 inches? I think it was pauly from pauly's steelin that said it worked on the 10 or 12's but I'm thinking it was the 12's. I used on my 12 rdr's. Contact Pauly or search it out and see what he says.

that might work on surefires, but on promags the inside of the body is too narrow, after i shortened mine i used some sandpaper on the inside

• Like 1

Some of the first 10 rounders had shorter springs, I had both and the new ones have more coils and is longer. I posted this a few years ago 09 and just tried to find it but the search on this site suck's. The new springs have 39 turns. Also my old springs were black and the new was silver.

Edited by havok

Just a suggestion, and you may have already tried it, but I saw a video quite a while back on fixing the promag 10's. The guy in the video described a similar problem as you did. He was using a flat head screwdriver to scrape the inside of the magazine where the follower rides to smooth out the function. I don't have any promags but I'm pretty sure that's what he was fixing. If nothing else, sell them on eBay and get some new ones. (no I don't mean screw someone. Someone will buy even if they need work)

that might work on surefires, but on promags the inside of the body is too narrow, after i shortened mine i used some sandpaper on the inside

AHH! Thanks! I didn't realize that. I 've never used the Promag mags in my saiga just the promag drums, MDArms drums, AGP and surefire mags. The surefire 12's are the ones I stretched the springs on.