Over the winter I was looking for a more versatile replacement for my US trifold shovel. I looked at many and decided to try the Cold Steel. I liked the fact it could be used as a shovel, machete, and a melee weapon. When I got it, I dug into a few 2x4's. I was impressed. I put some Mcnett multicam tape on the handle, added a lanyard. And put it on the shelf. Today I decided to get it out and see how it would do chopping up a brush pile in my yard. All I can say is if you don't have one, get one. This thing is awesome. For the money, it is one of the best tools I have ever bought. I chopped through 2" limbs with one chop. I can only imagine how much damage this would cause on human flesh. The weight and sharpness of the blade makes this a very destructive tool. Yet anothert thing the Russians got right. The AK-47 of field shovels, and for $15 to $20 dollars, I plan on buying a bunch more.

I'll stick to my E-tool. Guy from Delta said that an E-tool will do pretty much the same thing. Prolly can't tomahawk an E-tool like that one but I'm not a fan of throwing blades (except for an actual tomahawk, too many other uses for one), you miss, you're screwed if you dumped a knife to save weight. (Ounces = pounds and pounds = pain)

I've also seen an E-tool used as an edged weapon myself so I know for certain it really can be used that way. It also doesn't have a wood handle so it's less likely to break on ya.

Not saying don't buy it, just saying after seeing it, not my thing.

Edited by ShadowFire

I'll stick to my E-tool. Guy from Delta said that an E-tool will do pretty much the same thing. Prolly can't tomahawk an E-tool like that one but I'm not a fan of throwing blades (except for an actual tomahawk, too many other uses for one), you miss, you're screwed if you dumped a knife to save weight. (Ounces = pounds and pounds = pain)

I've also seen an E-tool used as an edged weapon myself so I know for certain it really can be used that way. It also doesn't have a wood handle so it's less likely to break on ya.

All the US E-tools had wood handles up until the tri-fold. Never had one break, so that isn't an issue for me. Don't think I would ever throw this either. I could, just don't think I ever would. As far as a melee weapon, I think this shovel could take an arm off, try that with the dull E-tool blade. Once I had my hands on this, I knew the potential. On Deadliest Warrior, when they did Spetsnaz vs, Green Berets, if they had compared these two, the Spetsnaz would have won, hands down. This is also lighter than the US shovel, far more balance. I love US surplus, I own a surplus store, but if I had to pick, Spetsnaz all the way.

I still have my e-tool from back in the Corps. I sharpened the shit out of it, and it will definately take a beard off of a bad guy (along with a few Mr. Potatohead face parts). We used heat tabs or MRE John Wayne crackers to light in the triangle handle and boil water in the canteen cup. Being able to fold it up and case it is a real bonus. You can also unscrew the shovelhead so it's loosely flapping and flatface a bad guy using a jerking motion.

I looked up the Cold Steel Spetnaz shovel, and just ended up buying their Trench Hawk axe. Thanks to your post, It'll be in the mailbox next week!

I still have my e-tool from back in the Corps. I sharpened the shit out of it, and it will definately take a beard off of a bad guy (along with a few Mr. Potatohead face parts). We used heat tabs or MRE John Wayne crackers to light in the triangle handle and boil water in the canteen cup. Being able to fold it up and case it is a real bonus. You can also unscrew the shovelhead so it's loosely flapping and flatface a bad guy using a jerking motion.

I looked up the Cold Steel Spetnaz shovel, and just ended up buying their Trench Hawk axe. Thanks to your post, It'll be in the mailbox next week!

Trench Hawk is awesome, I've had one for a while, right after they came out. The blade comes incredibly sharp, and holds an edge well. you won't be disapointed.

All the US E-tools had wood handles up until the tri-fold. Never had one break, so that isn't an issue for me. Don't think I would ever throw this either. I could, just don't think I ever would. As far as a melee weapon, I think this shovel could take an arm off, try that with the dull E-tool blade. Once I had my hands on this, I knew the potential. On Deadliest Warrior, when they did Spetsnaz vs, Green Berets, if they had compared these two, the Spetsnaz would have won, hands down. This is also lighter than the US shovel, far more balance. I love US surplus, I own a surplus store, but if I had to pick, Spetsnaz all the way.

All I'm gonna say is that you can actually sharpen the E-tool. Yes I'm aware that the Ye Old Faithful E-tools had a wooden handle prior to the Tri-fold, I have seen many a video of them packed by troops in WWII, Korea and Nam. Mine is a tri-fold. I have a very light weight sharpener that is very easy to pack and I know I can use it. Problem solved.

It also looks like I might want a Trench Hawk in the future though. I like the design, can be utilatarian for sure.

All I'm gonna say is that you can actually sharpen the E-tool. Yes I'm aware that the Ye Old Faithful E-tools had a wooden handle prior to the Tri-fold, I have seen many a video of them packed by troops in WWII, Korea and Nam. Mine is a tri-fold. I have a very light weight sharpener that is very easy to pack and I know I can use it. Problem solved.

It also looks like I might want a Trench Hawk in the future though. I like the design, can be utilatarian for sure.

Did somebody say you couldn't sharpen the Cold Steel? While everybody else is taking their shovels out of the pouch, unfolding, and locking the blade in place, I'll start killing the enemy. My shovel has a sharper edge than issue bayonets, and can be sharpened with ANY sharpener, unlike the E-tool. To each his own, but I've made my choice. You have to use one to appreciate it, if you have'nt used it?

I found a local milsurp store that had the older riveted spetsnaz shovels. I got 1 for my boy for camping and quickly found myself pitching it at the tree in my backyard. It was such stupidly and simple way to keep myself entertained I went back and bought 2 more that I STILL throw at the tree... and use as a machete, and keep in my trunk....

It's definitely worth the $8(?) I spent on each.

Did somebody say you couldn't sharpen the Cold Steel? While everybody else is taking their shovels out of the pouch, unfolding, and locking the blade in place, I'll start killing the enemy. My shovel has a sharper edge than issue bayonets, and can be sharpened with ANY sharpener, unlike the E-tool. To each his own, but I've made my choice. You have to use one to appreciate it, if you have'nt used it?

Why is it this forum seems so butthurt all the time when someone has a differing opinion.

My point was that while the Cold Steel version is sharp, it's not like you can't sharpen the e-tool. That was the point, not the other way around. Seriously, why would I say you can't sharpen the Cold Steel shovel? lol It would be on my part be a lack of logic don't you think. I'd be a real moron if I meant it that way. lol :D

In all actuallity though while the shovel is sharp, there are lots of ways to stop a threat in a combat environment, lots of ways. Sharp objects can help but there are other ways. Like for instance in combat, lets say your shovel goes dull from using it to dig a foxhole (dirt's bad about that, sucks) sounds like you're in the e-tool boat now right? Haven't had time to sharpen it, too much fighting in your area, big issues have broke out. Threat rushes you. What do you do? Well one way to stop him is to hit him with the shovel (since you already broke it out and it's laying there for an easy grab) right in the throat, crushing his airway. I'll bet he'll stop now. lol Can't breathe. If he doesn't stop for some odd reason, with either shovel again, you can continue to put him in the hurt locker with as many strikes as it takes.

Both will do the job man. Just comes down to preferance. That's all. Just trying to provide proper perspective is all.

Personally, if threat rushes me, I'll pull my pistol and just shoot the guy. Or..

Hopefully I won't be in that situation until after next week when my Cold Steel Trench Hawk axe comes in the mail!

Edited by fffpatriot

Why is it this forum seems so butthurt all the time when someone has a differing opinion.

My point was that while the Cold Steel version is sharp, it's not like you can't sharpen the e-tool. That was the point, not the other way around. Seriously, why would I say you can't sharpen the Cold Steel shovel? lol It would be on my part be a lack of logic don't you think. I'd be a real moron if I meant it that way. lol biggrin.png

In all actuallity though while the shovel is sharp, there are lots of ways to stop a threat in a combat environment, lots of ways. Sharp objects can help but there are other ways. Like for instance in combat, lets say your shovel goes dull from using it to dig a foxhole (dirt's bad about that, sucks) sounds like you're in the e-tool boat now right? Haven't had time to sharpen it, too much fighting in your area, big issues have broke out. Threat rushes you. What do you do? Well one way to stop him is to hit him with the shovel (since you already broke it out and it's laying there for an easy grab) right in the throat, crushing his airway. I'll bet he'll stop now. lol Can't breathe. If he doesn't stop for some odd reason, with either shovel again, you can continue to put him in the hurt locker with as many strikes as it takes.

Both will do the job man. Just comes down to preferance. That's all. Just trying to provide proper perspective is all.

Have you used the Cold Steel? Just wondering since you advocate one over the other. This wasn't a discussion over which is better, If you like the E-tool, great. This was to give people a heads up on a superior tool. I have used both, and the arguement is over for me, I know which I like best. You can't argue for one or the other if you haven't used both. You can say why you like it, but this thread is not for that. It is to tell people about the Cold Steel. If you use it, and don't like it, post your own review of it and give reasons why, not from a picture. Edited by TFALAMO

There's actually another thread about this somewhere on here. But here's my 2 bits again, lol.

Everything is either a weapon, a sheild or a distraction. Many things can be any or all three.

Most any shovel will do the same as the Spetnaz, flatter bladed works better but I've stuck angle headed shovels in targets almost as easily, from two footers up to 5'. Essentially, a shovel is a double bitted and spiked axe. Handles much the same including "ballistics".

The 3 styles mentioned(Spetnaz, GI, and Trifold) all have their advantages and disadvantages.

Wood handles are non conducting, if you miss or sever and hit a hot power line,fence, etc., you're not going sizzle. Downside, can be cracked, broken or hacked apart. I think theres less of a vibration issue from repetitive strikes as well. ymmv

Folders are compact and easily stored. But useless if you "Need it NOW". Also, joint bolts can be bent or broken. Ya, I've done it.

It gets down to personal pref but basically, Something is better than Nothing.

I've got a mini folding camp shovel(GI style with steel handle) that makes a great lil hawk and with a hole in the end of the handle or a ring welded on, can be used as an impromtu grapnel hook. Ya, I've tested it and I'm 200+lbs.

Oh, and as for sharpness. While severing is prefered, an edge is an edge and will still cause serious trama. Not as pretty, but still effective. BTW, the Cold Steel stuff holds an edge really well. I've got their Boar Spear and have freinds that actually hunt boar/bear with them. Good stuff, even if just stamped.

Edited by BpS12
  • Like 1

Hey fellers, not to change any course on the topic, and having adult ADD, I just wanna say that I have a Cold Steel Trailmaster bowie knife that my mother sent to me when I was in Desert Storm in 90' that I still have that has literally been to hell and back to date ( chopped down many a small trees and branches, fillet many a fish, and gutted and deboned many a deer, and has been thrown at many a trees), and I don't know if Cold Steel still utilizes the same formula today that they did on my knife, but I can still sharpen it to the point if splitting peach fuzz hair on frogs asses. I actually chipped the blade so bad on it last hunting season chopping through deer hipbone that the thing looked like a serraded knife. I had to grind the thing flat with a dremel, file reshape it, and uses my sharpening diamonds to be able to shave with it again.

I'm guessing the shovel is a different kind of steel than my bowie, but if it's cold rolled steel, I'm thinking it could be sharpened to where you would want it. I may be wrong.

There's actually another thread about this somewhere on here. But here's my 2 bits again, lol.

Everything is either a weapon, a sheild or a distraction. Many things can be any or all three.

Most any shovel will do the same as the Spetnaz, flatter bladed works better but I've stuck angle headed shovels in targets almost as easily, from two footers up to 5'. Essentially, a shovel is a double bitted and spiked axe. Handles much the same including "ballistics".

The 3 styles mentioned(Spetnaz, GI, and Trifold) all have their advantages and disadvantages.

Wood handles are non conducting, if you miss or sever and hit a hot power line,fence, etc., you're not going sizzle. Downside, can be cracked, broken or hacked apart. I think theres less of a vibration issue from repetitive strikes as well. ymmv

Folders are compact and easily stored. But useless if you "Need it NOW". Also, joint bolts can be bent or broken. Ya, I've done it.

I've got a mini folding camp shovel(GI style with steel handle) that makes a great lil hawk and with a hole in the end of the handle or a ring welded on, can be used as an impromtu grapnel hook. Ya, I've tested it and I'm 200+lbs.

I never thought of using my e-tool for a grappling hook. GREAT IDEA! Thanks BpS12.

I'll answer that with complete honesty Tfalamo. Nope I haven't. In all honesty too, I'd give it a whirl if someone wouldn't mind me doing so. It's not like I'm totally against it, I just smelled some puffery in the marketing that Cold Steel has done, compaired to what is out there.

I can't expect miracles with either one. They're tools, they're only good for what they're designed to do and designed to endure.

Hey fellers, not to change any course on the topic, and having adult ADD, I just wanna say that I have a Cold Steel Trailmaster bowie knife that my mother sent to me when I was in Desert Storm in 90' that I still have that has literally been to hell and back to date ( chopped down many a small trees and branches, fillet many a fish, and gutted and deboned many a deer, and has been thrown at many a trees), and I don't know if Cold Steel still utilizes the same formula today that they did on my knife, but I can still sharpen it to the point if splitting peach fuzz hair on frogs asses. I actually chipped the blade so bad on it last hunting season chopping through deer hipbone that the thing looked like a serraded knife. I had to grind the thing flat with a dremel, file reshape it, and uses my sharpening diamonds to be able to shave with it again.

I'm guessing the shovel is a different kind of steel than my bowie, but if it's cold rolled steel, I'm thinking it could be sharpened to where you would want it. I may be wrong.

I never thought of using my e-tool for a grappling hook. GREAT IDEA! Thanks BpS12.

I can shave my arm hair with it, pretty good for a shovel.

It's a Chink made P.O.S. but it sure is a lot of fun to throw at trees. Destroyed a few of the over the years. Would be nice to find a quality built one.

oh, and in no fucking way is it beter than a US made entrenching tool. try diging a drip line around your tent without an angle and you will soon toss the bitch.

• Like 1

It's a Chink made P.O.S. but it sure is a lot of fun to throw at trees. Destroyed a few of the over the years. Would be nice to find a quality built one.

oh, and in no fucking way is it beter than a US made entrenching tool. try diging a drip line around your tent without an angle and you will soon toss the bitch.

Well, opinion's are like......

Oh, and by the way, I just buried a 60' cable line run with it. Why couldn't you dig a drip line? Might take longer, but only a dullard couldn't figure it out.

Oh, and by the way, I just buried a 60' cable line run with it. Why couldn't you dig a drip line? Might take longer, but only a dullard couldn't figure it out.

"Oh, and by the way, I just buried a 60' cable line run with it. Why couldn't you dig a drip line? Might take longer, but only a dullard couldn't figure it out."

"Work smart not hard!" comes to mind. Do it a thousand times and tell me how you like using the cold steel over a e-tool.

It's a nice novelty shovel. You will regret drilling a lanyard hole into the handle. I have split several handles and have owned a few of them. I get them at cost from my friends shop. They are really fun to throw. That's about it. The cheap metal comes from china. Not only would I not cook off it, the shape makes it hard to do so. The original spetznaz is a flat spade that is really nice for camping. you can cook meat on the flat blade. The steel lasts and holds it's edge. The cold steel metal will easily take a razor sharp edge and last about one wack to a tree. Every time you sharpen it, material is lost. A significant ammount.

I have several very early examples of Cold Steel. At first they were an innovative company. My friend who came back from Vietnam was given several blades to test out at sea. He used them in commercial diving applications in California. He still has them and I still have very early production tanto blades. The blades back then were made with quality Japanes steel. The new stuff is really shit compared to what they used to be. Chinese made shit.

Anyway, just my real world opinion from someone who served in the infantry and used and humped a E tool around for years and has owned several cold steel products and multiple "wannabe spetznaz" shovels.

Fun to throw, don't count on it lasting.

Edited by storm6490
  • Like 2

"Oh, and by the way, I just buried a 60' cable line run with it. Why couldn't you dig a drip line? Might take longer, but only a dullard couldn't figure it out."

"Work smart not hard!" comes to mind. Do it a thousand times and tell me how you like using the cold steel over a e-tool.

It's a nice novelty shovel. You will regret drilling a lanyard hole into the handle. I have split several handles and have owned a few of them. I get them at cost from my friends shop. They are really fun to throw. That's about it. The cheap metal comes from china. Not only would I not cook off it, the shape makes it hard to do so. The original spetznaz is a flat spade that is really nice for camping. you can cook meat on the flat blade. The steel lasts and holds it's edge. The cold steel metal will easily take a razor sharp edge and last about one wack to a tree. Every time you sharpen it, material is lost. A significant ammount.

I have several very early examples of Cold Steel. At first they were an innovative company. My friend who came back from Vietnam was given several blades to test out at sea. He used them in commercial diving applications in California. He still has them and I still have very early production tanto blades. The blades back then were made with quality Japanes steel. The new stuff is really shit compared to what they used to be. Chinese made shit.

Anyway, just my real world opinion from someone who served in the infantry and used and humped a E tool around for years and has owned several cold steel products and multiple "wannabe spetznaz" shovels.

Fun to throw, don't count on it lasting.

They were talking about using the handle of the tri-fold to cook with. If your going to make an arguement, at least get the facts right. This started as a thread to tell people I had good results with an inexpensive shovel. Not to argue about which was better. If I had wanted that input, the title would have been "Which shovel is better, the E-tool or Spetsnaz?" But it wasn't, it has worked well for me, has kept its edge, and I have been using the hell out of it for the last two days. Every arguement against it I have tried, and cannot produce the results everybody complains about. I threw it a a tree a few times, but then decide that was dumb. If I wanted to break it maybe I would keep throwing it at a tree, then I could complain because I did something stupid and it broke. But it has proven itself for me. That's it. That's all this was supposed to be. If you like the E-tool, fine. If you don't like Cold Steel, great. I could care less. I keep an open mind and try things for myself. Like I said, I have used and abused it, and I still like it. Over, Done, Finished. To all those who want to try it, you won't be dissapointed in my view. I buy surplus from the govt. and when they list 20 e-tools on the manifest, if I get one that still works I'm doing good. To say that the E-tools don't ever break is just crazy. I see it first hand all the time. But the discussion over which is better, why Cold Steel sucks, and all this other bullshit is over. Edited by TFALAMO

Well, when you suggest Chinese made products, expect to get some shit for it.

I guess if throwing it is a stupid idea, the owners and company is pretty stupid. I purchased it for something to throw around in the back yard besides axes.

"exact replica" minus the 5 rivets, dimensions, quality russian steel and oak handle. I'm sure the Chinese make better steel and have better wood.

Edited by storm6490

You guys are arguing about shovels .....SHOVELS!

lol

Disclaimer: I am not responsible if people get all butthurt on the interbutts when I voice a differing opinion. lol It is the choice of the other individual to be all butthurt and not my problem. lol That said, this is a forum in the interwebs and on an interwebs forum people will be butthurt and argue over everything, yes everything and as you can see, this includes of all things even shovels. lol

That is all.

Johnboy.gif

Well, when you suggest Chinese made products, expect to get some shit for it.

I guess if throwing it is a stupid idea, the owners and company is pretty stupid. I purchased it for something to throw around in the back yard besides axes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0McQ-cQmUZA

"exact replica" minus the 5 rivets, dimensions, quality russian steel and oak handle. I'm sure the Chinese make better steel and have better wood.

Maybe my last post wasn't clear, or maybe you just don't care, but I AM DONE DISCUSSING THIS. All of you that love your E-tool stick to it and keep the smartass comments to your selves. I didn't know that we only talked about American made products. I gues I can't talk about my rifle anymore, damn.

Well fellas, I think it's time to use your shovels to bury this post.

AMEN!