Need some input from hunters

I am torn... I want a .308 for hunting to replace my .223 ( had to track my last deer, round deflected off shoulder)

However i dont know if I should go for a bolt or a saiga .308

I hunt in the adirondacks so shots are never really over 100yards....

SO bolt .308? either a remington or thompson center..

OR a saiga .308. I would not convert it.. it would be a hunting/target rifle strictly..

The problem is this... I want the saiga... but also need hunting functionality... which is why a bolt is on the table.

So the saiga with AK reliability feeds my shtf needs and the .308 can take the deer.

So the question is this... what would you do? is the saiga .308 a reliable hunting firearm? Accurate enough for whitetail @ <100yrds?

The saiga is the easy answer. More than reliable and accurate enough to fulfill all your hunting needs. Only problem will be resisting the urge to upgrade it, once you see all the awesome work that's been done by others to this gun.

Be sure you know your local laws regarding hunting before making your selection however.

• Like 1

all set on the local laws..

I should elaborate on the non converted.. it will be converted. but no large mags. and not that standard AK look. ill turn my .223 into the classic model have a gray timbersmith stock set in mind

with the .308 ill be going for the saigunov / psg look. Similar to these.

pslman

post-25233-0-89966900-1295299502_thumb.jpg

2450paul

post-2332-054668700%201279976186_thumb.jpg

I hunt in the adirondacks so shots are never really over 100yards....

I don't know about your area, but in Oregon:

"Semiautomatic rifles with a magazine capacity greater than 5 cartridges prohibited (except western gray squirrel)

Military or full-metal jacket bullets in original or altered form prohibited."

(Source: 2012 Oregon Big Game Regulations, pg.30)

Sir, I suggest that you head to your local sporting goods store. They probably have free copies of the regulation books. Otherwise check with the local "department of fish, fur and feathers".

The rules in your area may be different, but the Saiga should be fine with a 5 round magazine. Mine came with a factory 8-round though. To legally use it for hunting in Oregon, I would have to put a little wooden block or something inside the magazine between the floorplate and the follower.

That's easily enough done, I suppose, but if questioned by a Fish and Wildlife guy, you might have to prove that the magazine is plugged, and not have any higher capacity magazines on you or with you.

Is the saiga .308 a reliable hunting firearm? Accurate enough for whitetail @ <100yrds?

Sure, I don't see why not.

On the bright side, if you're turned off by this proposition, compare the price of Saiga to other .308 Autoloaders like the M1A, AR-10, HK-91, etc. For the price of one of those, you can buy a Saiga AND a used bolt action rifle with a little left over for ammo and such. big_smile.gif

no interest in AR. if i was to go that route a friend has an old FAL for me..

As far as regs are concerned its 500ft dist from public / private dwellings / structures / roads, 3-5 rounds, tags required. rifle is totally legal. as stated, i will not be using any high cap mags. 5 rounders are usually $25-$30 online.

Sounds like you're good then. You're knowledgable about the regs and have a totally legal setup in a Saiga with a 5rd mag.

My only misgiving is the trigger. I didn't like my Saiga's stock trigger, but I'm going to be converting it to a more AK setup anyway, so I don't mind the part I'm not keeping.

A little work on it may be desirable if you're staying in stock configuration.

Oh, and good luck on your hunt!

Actually I was looking at a SW MP 15 before i got my .223 saiga. but after spending hours researching the AR vs AK debate i came back to the saiga.

DO I love the look of AR's hell yes. Im an american and ive been shooting virtual ARs for decades in video games....

But the reliability durability of the ak platform outweighs fashion for me... in the future. yeah ill probably end up with an AR

I'd say go Saiga, convert and restock with a Draganov style stock (for better trigger options after conversion), get some 5 rounders for hunting and some hi-caps for practice/fun. You wont worry about 922r with a rear stock and trigger group swap and any mags you get will likely be American made anyways, so that solves any legality issues. Then you still save over any semi 308 AR guns and have the quick follow-up shots a bolt wont allow.

If I were to buy one rifle to fulfill both needs, absolutely the Saiga. If I can afford both, the bolt gun would be a far better choice for hunting. Not so much for the accuracy, which will be more than adequate with the Saiga, but for the lightness and compactness of the bolt gun. Something like Remington Model 7 in .308 with the composite stock, the 18.5" barrel and a medium powered variable scope would be ideal. And way easier to pack around than the relatively bulky, clunky Saiga. And I say that as somebody who really likes his Saiga .308 and wants to hunt with it at some point just to say that I've hunted with an AK.

Edited by Netpackrat

I vote for the bolt gun. I've got a great saiga 308 which is my main shtf and training weapon. For deer season, I use my model 88 winchester. It looks like a hunters tool. It's lighter by a few pounds, and it's more accurate. I have a 308 AR as well, but it's too damn heavy to carry all day comfortably. Bolt guns shoot steel cased ammo quite well I will add.

I JUST recently converted my S308 in Central NY... Doing some range testings the past few days this week... When testing loads... I was able to place FOUR 130 gn. Barnes TTSX into one ragged hole at 100 yards with a 1.5-6X optic, with the 5th round of the group about a half inch to the left... That is as good as ANY bolt gun out there in the same price range.

My reloaded 150's/168's shot about 1.5" to 2" groups give or take... nothing wrong with that for hunting in my book... :up:

:smoke:

no doubt the Saiga .308 is a great hunter. That is the main purpose I bought mine for. I shot two hogs with it last week and both were one shot kills that dropped in their tracks.

I will be converting mine for better balance and improved trigger but it isn't absolutely necessary. Trigger actually isn't too heavy or gritty. It just has a ton of creep with no clear breaking point. For hunting, the trigger is fine, just not great for printing on paper, IMHO.

Photo0256.jpg

• Like 1

Mine loves 165gn Nosler Ballistic Tips over 44gn of IMR 4064 and a CCI large rifle primer. I use a mix of brass, but Federal brass seems the easiest and mst consistent to work with. Runs 2550 (+/- 25 fps) out of my 16" and accurate out to about 500m on deer-sized targets, on benched paper. I have only used it out to 125yds on actual deer.

Ok. Heres the specs on my load for the Barnes TTSX 130 gn.

130 gn. TTSX

50 gn. IMR 4895

CCI LR primer

PRVI brass

2.707-2.71 C.O.L.

Hope that helps someone.

000.gif

Yep next order will have a box of Barnes to try out and now I have starting point for the load. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased an Axis (Savage) bolt action .30-06 with a Nikon scope first thinking I could eventually find higher capacity mags and learn to shoot like the A bolt. Forget it. Realizing that I was relegated to 5 rounds and a very long and time consuming cycle I picked up a S.308 and two 25 rnd mags just to keep in the closet. We don't have a limit on the number of rounds here in TX for deer but it you need more than 5, you need more help than the gun can provide. The hi-cap mags stay in the closet just in case. If there is any situation where I need to pull them out then the 922r issue isn't going to be our biggest problem.

With a 4x32 scope on the Saiga I am set up for 100 yds with 168gr Hornady reloads with IMR4320 and LR primers. The .30-06 is set up with similar for 300 yards. The beauty with the .30-06 and the .308 is that I reload. This allows me to mix and match bullets and powder to find the best accuracy, plus, I can buy a box of bullets below 170 grain knowing that if it doesn't do well in the .308, I can try a series of rounds in the .30-06.

Bottom line is that I like both rifles for what they each provide.

• 1 month later...

no interest in AR. if i was to go that route a friend has an old FAL for me..

As far as regs are concerned its 500ft dist from public / private dwellings / structures / roads, 3-5 rounds, tags required. rifle is totally legal. as stated, i will not be using any high cap mags. 5 rounders are usually $25-$30 online.

Saiga is fine for hunting with what you are wanting to do. I have an aimpoint micro on mine just for hogs and deer 100 yards and under. Any further out I have my Remmington 700 30-06, and my FNAR.

I'm confused by your comment about the FAL and the AR.

THe reason I would prefer being able to use a high cap mag is the possibility of finding yourself while deer hunting in the path of a pissed off hog.

Happening a lot more lately than anyone is comfortable with as the population just continues utterly out of control.

Which is why I dont recommend folks going out with just a boltie. At least pack a high cal pistol just in case.

Have you thought of an AR chambered for .308?

Have you thought about his question, and perhaps he isn't stupid?

Yeah back on topic.

In 308 bolties the Savage model 10 has a lot going for it. Tons of configuartions in 308, good aftermarket, good trigger, replacable barrel, great rep, tack driver.

Lower cost alternative Marlin XL, grab the bull barrel model.

The Saiga will work well also.

Hard to make a poor choice really.