setting up a budget sniper rifle

Federal Gold Medal is a buck a round, in cartons of 500. It adds up quick.

Yes, and Handcrafted Match .308 runs about $.53 a round.

Plus your up-front equipment investment and whatever you think your time is worth for round development and production time. If you shoot a lot it is worth it. If you don't shoot multiple thousands of rounds a year it might not be.

1000 rounds. That could pay off a fairly decent entry level reloading setup. Not to mention the knowledge gleaned about what makes for an accurate round. As to the time spent, saving money and being a Student of the Gun, seems like a decent hobby to me.

gallery_14946_258_21248.jpg

gallery_14946_258_86449.jpg

i think this is the scope i have decided on.

http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Viper-6-5-20x44-Riflescope-Reticle/dp/B002SCV3BS

what you guys think. Its budget...... but not TOO budget.

I just put together a rifle that would fit the bill here, buying a used rifle got the overal price to around $1000.

Tikka T3 Varmint .223 (Rem 700 in 308 isnt any more expensive)

Budget NCStar Bipod

SWFA SS Scope (SS12X42MQ)

Burris Extreme Tactical Rings

I haven't tested it beyond using the bipod on a shaky folding table but it shoots pretty good so far.

I would recommend the 16 or 20x SS from SWFA (SWFA com). It's a fixed power but I am shooting the 12x at about 150yds and a 16 wouldn't hurt and it would allow for longer shots later. If you plan on doing mostly long range shots then maybe go with the 20x. For the price if you decide that you need a variable power then you still have a great fixed power scope for $300.

I don't find myself wishing for a variable power scope, just more power to see my little 223 holes better but I suppose that is what a spotting scope is for. I am totally happy with my purchase but I think when I put this scope on my AR at some point then I will go with a 16x SS.

If you get it make sure that it's the Mil turret / Mil reticle one in the MRAD scopes section with the mil quad reticle.

Here is the model number for the 20x SS12X42MQ.

Great scope for $300. Check out Sniper's Hide as well for reviews on it and shooting/equipment advice.

Edited by romad7