Do I need to get a retaining plate?

Hey guys. I have a 22" S-308 that I plan on converting. I already bought the Tapco G2 FCG for the 308 from Dinzag which is modified, the trigger guard and the conversion kit which comes with the drill bits, screws, PG nut and screw. Now my question is, do I need to buy a retaining plate? I'm pretty new to this conversion and am not too sure what the function of the retaining plate is, I did some research but couldn't find a direct answer. thanks

The retaining plate takes the place of the shepherds hook/crook/retaining spring that holds your trigger group in place. It fits down inside the receiver on the left side. When I did my .308 conversion, the retaining plate I ordered was going to require fitting, so I wound up using a Tromix retaining spring and it has worked fine ( this is what I used: http://store.carolin...SHEPERDS/Detail). I used retaining plates in my 7.62, .223 and 5.45 conversions and they worked great with no fitting required. You may be able to reuse your original retaining spring, I don't know, the retaining plate is much easier if it fits.

Edited by TJohn

Used retaining plate. Works great and it's easy. As I recall, the toughest part of converting was grinding down the spot weld with a dremel. After you convert be sure to run this test:

http://forum.saiga-1...safety-problem/

If you have this issue just email Brian (DINZAG) for suggestions. I actually mailed him my FCG and safety which was way too short. He added material to it and did a great job. Always 2 thumbs up for Brian.

Edited by mossb

The safety issue just affects some .308's for some reason, I did not have to modify my safey and everything works fine. I am not sure if the original retaining spring will work without modifications or if it needs modified to work, as I used a Tromix spring in my .308 conversion.

Yep, like TJohn said, it only affects some. To make that funky 308 stock trigger work, I believe they modified the 308 safety a bit. My 308 was an older 22 inch so that's why I brought up the safety check issue. Brian said my safety was way shorter than any one he had seen and added material to it. Perfect job he did. I also had him notch the safety to use as a bolt-hold open and I believe he added material to the trigger to compensate for not putting the original bolt hold open back in:

http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_762x39/sslbho.html

I think you'll be happy with the conversion. I had the original wooden stock and foregrip which I liked but the rifle always felt a bit front-heavy. After the conversion it balanced much better and it was a great way to learn about rifles. I had never done anything like this before. When I was done, I also took the gun to a local gunsmith who checked it out and said "ready for the range."

I'm gonna do the conversion and hope that I can reuse the retaining spring and hope that my stock safety still works, LOL. Worst comes to worst, I'll end up sending parts to Dinzag. I don't know of any gunsmiths nearby, but I'll just put in a dummy round with the dust cover off and make sure everything is functioning like it should, I mean, everything goes in almost one way right?