South TX rattlesnakes vs the S12

I got to hunt coyotes and hogs last week in south TX, but this big guy was taking up the road our first night out. I got a second one that wasn't as bad for my blood pressure, but was still pretty big. The saiga ran flawlessly the entire trip, but I've been thinking of a side-folding stock to make getting out of vehicles with it easier. I really like it how it is, though. I still haven't decided on moving to an auto-plug from the v-plug that is in it right now. Hell, I really want to get another one.

post-36124-0-89923600-1332180749_thumb.jpg

post-36124-0-36178400-1332180769_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I didn't eat that one; I got him late at night and didn't get around to skinning him till morning. We fed him to my buddy's "pet" alligator that lives in one of their ponds.

I've never seen de-boned one personally, I've always seen them grilled spine and all. I'll probably get another chance to go down there this summer, and I'll try to cook the next one.

Feels good to blast a rattlesnake into pieces. My grandmother calls me all the time and tells me how many rattlesnakes she blew away that month with her 20 gauge. When i was younger i ran into a big coiled up rattler when i was walking to my deer blind and if i had not been looking down at the time he would have popped me.

Over where i live we worry about Water Moccasins and a few months ago i killed a 4 footer (biggest i have ever seen). It was wrapped around my boots on my front porch.horror.gif

Edited by Corruptz0rz

Feels good to blast a rattlesnake into pieces. My grandmother calls me all the time and tells me how many rattlesnakes she blew away that month with her 20 gauge. When i was younger i ran into a big coiled up rattler when i was walking to my dear blind and if i had not been looking down at the time he would have popped me.

Over where i live we worry about Water Moccasins and a few months ago i killed a 4 footer (biggest i have ever seen). It was wrapped around my boots on my front porch.horror.gif

Your grandma sounds bad ass! lol Only good snake is a dead one

• Like 2

Guess I was raised diffrently. You don't kill it unless your gonna eat..or it's gonna eat you first. I see a snake in the road, I walk around it. Atleast you didn't let it out to rot. Got any plans for the skin Rexican?

Floyd: you make to sliced along the back of the spine, and clear a spot near where the head was, grab the spine and the meat with the other hand and pull em apart...it's a finess thing. Honestly I think it waste more meat than its worth. Just as easy to slice em up and fry the nuggets.

• Like 1

Guess I was raised diffrently. You don't kill it unless your gonna eat..or it's gonna eat you first. I see a snake in the road, I walk around it. Atleast you didn't let it out to rot. Got any plans for the skin Rexican?

Floyd: you make to sliced along the back of the spine, and clear a spot near where the head was, grab the spine and the meat with the other hand and pull em apart...it's a finess thing. Honestly I think it waste more meat than its worth. Just as easy to slice em up and fry the nuggets.

I only kill dangerous venomous snakes like Rattlesnake, Water Moccasin, Copperhead, etc. I would never kill or harm a non-venomous snake like a Garden Snake, Rat Snake, Scarlet King Snake, etc. If i find a non-venomous snake in my house or anywhere that it shouldn't be i will gently capture it and release it somewhere like the bushes or in my garden. If i ever see a dangerous snake im runnin' for my shotgun!

Edited by Corruptz0rz

How do you de-spine them things? and do ya get one long strip of meat?

you gut them kinda like a fish. the meat along the back comes off in one long strip, while the meat on the sides comes of in shorter strips. its kinda like eating a really boney chicken lol. i will say one thing, its one of the tastiest things ive eaten in awhile. ive heard its good fried, but ive yet to try that.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here we're I live if caught killin a rattler your charged with some serious shit same goes for are copperheads I live in Westvirginia and there rare to see but when we do I'll get out of the truck grab the large stick out of my bed and push his ass of the road I'm in the same boat as the other guy I'll only take a life in defense or to eat and th damn rattlers aren't founna hurt your ass unless your provoking them or startle them

Edited by Warthog35F