Gas Adjustment Plug Advice

In your oppinion what is the best gas adjustment plug? I just purchased my first Saiga Sunday and took it straight to the range. Fired about 15 rounds and it did not eject/cycle properly once. I read threw some other posts about the same issue and I think this is where I want to begin my trouble shooting. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I did try settings 1 and 2 and neither worked.

Edited by Direct_ecneulfnI

Plenty of content on the site in the stickies and search on this.

In short, check your port opening to see if they are blocked and what the size is. If the ports are in spec, you need to profile your bolt and hammer to reduce friction. Unless you have blocked or undersized ports, profiling should be all you need to get it cycling.

Mine had fine ports. I swapped the FCG for a Texas AK group, and appropriately profiled myself with a dremel. It will now run anything under the sun.

A +1 on the Autoplug, the only time I don't run it is for 3" turkey rounds, I put the factory plug back in for those.

Yeah I read it, I can see 4 holes and checked them with a paper clip and they all seem fine. Good read tho, thanks.

Well mine had 4 open ports and all were visible too.It still wasn't totally dependable until I removed the gas block and actually made them the size they are supposed to be and for good measure, 1 hole made a rch larger. It was mostly dependable with booster puc, v-plug, and polishing. You want to save some money? Then the ports have to be size checked, not just viewed and paper clipped! Good luck and Good shooting! Edited by Guns Are Great
  • Like 2

Each gun is different, mine had three ports, they were smaller than 3/32". I jerked the gas block and enlarged them to 3/32" each knowing that you don't want to go any bigger than that EVER. I had a good, reliable weapon but it still wouldn't fire from the hip...

So I went down to my local "we got everything" hardware store (Texas Tool and Supply) and found the numerical drill bit size just smaller than 3/32, I eye-balled it. Then I added a fourth port at that size... some guns run great and even fire from the hip with three ports, others don't.

Saigas are like snowflakes, only more badass!

• Like 1

• The following was posted a while back and I think this is the guide i used. I went with the smaller size on three holes and on the hole closest to the muzzle I used the larger bit for the 3 hole size. My gun runs the cheap stuff 100% now.

• tapeworm
  • Contributor
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

I have a 4 hole constantly having cyclic problems no matter what setting or ammo other than 3" so I first bought the TAC47 autoplug which made it useless in cycling so removed the gas block to find my ports were only .062 (1/16") I promptly opened 3 of four to .093 (3/32") and the one closest to the piston to .078 (5/64") .

It took 5 rounds to tune the autoplug and it now cycles everything winchester universal through 1560fps 2 3/4" slugs with no problems.

Thanks to all the info if it was not for the "Test Subjects" we have done and the sharing of the knowledge others like me may have been lost.

Edited by Guns Are Great

You're Welcome! There are many knowledgeable and skilled folks on this forum. I have only repeated what I learned in the process of tuning mine. Thanks to this forum, the IZ109 is one firearm I know and understand from the inside out! I hope you will soon appreciate, if you don't already, what a great gun this is! If those Russian boys and girls had more incentive, i.e. true free market, then we wouldn't be tuning them, but as it is, you just learn more about it!

Edited by Guns Are Great

I have a 3 port gun that had a ocasional hickup sometimes. after polishing and prifiling bolt and sanding rails. I just opend the ports up to 3/32 tonight removing tha gas block was easy with the air hammer. I will shoot it soon and give some more feedback.

Edited by deadeye
  • Like 1

Bought 2 brand new RIDGID COLDfire bits for this today and they both broke within 2 seconds. nothing_to_say.gif Guess I will have to pick up some Dewalt bits tomorrow and get this done for the weekend.

amazing.gif wow! mine are black and decker cheap chinese shit and took about 1-2 seconds per hole in the barrel with a black and decker cordless drill. super_man.gif Make sure you maintain the proper angle and go slow! Edited by Guns Are Great

Yeah I read it, I can see 4 holes and checked them with a paper clip and they all seem fine. Good read tho, thanks.

Don't be deceived by the paper clip test. I did the very same thing and then went on to looking at other possible causes to no avail. Then I finally gave in and removed the gas block. Geesh, what a mess. Sure all four ports were open, and although each was large enough to accommodate a paper clip, they were all different sizes and not a cleanly drilled hole. And not to mention a paper clip is smaller than what your holes should be anyway.

I re-drilled them to 5/64th and gas pressure is no longer an issue. Until you can actually clearly see the ports you do not know if they are okay or not.

Bought 2 brand new RIDGID COLDfire bits for this today and they both broke within 2 seconds. nothing_to_say.gif Guess I will have to pick up some Dewalt bits tomorrow and get this done for the weekend.

No offence but it sounds like an operator error issue. It can be easy to snag a bit on an angled drilling surface such as this. Use cutting fluid or oil when drilling. Do not drill it dry, and avoid flexing the bit. If you feel you need to flex the bit so you can get a good taper on your holes, only flex the bit slightly and only after you have made the initial re-drilling of all ports.

Don't be deceived by the paper clip test. I did the very same thing and then went on to looking at other possible causes to no avail. Then I finally gave in and removed the gas block. Geesh, what a mess. Sure all four ports were open, and although each was large enough to accommodate a paper clip, they were all different sizes and not a cleanly drilled hole. And not to mention a paper clip is smaller than what your holes should be anyway.

I re-drilled them to 5/64th and gas pressure is no longer an issue. Until you can actually clearly see the ports you do not know if they are okay or not.

No offence but it sounds like an operator error issue. It can be easy to snag a bit on an angled drilling surface such as this. Use cutting fluid or oil when drilling. Do not drill it dry, and avoid flexing the bit. If you feel you need to flex the bit so you can get a good taper on your holes, only flex the bit slightly and only after you have made the initial re-drilling of all ports.

Day late on these, but thanks.

I am pretty sure it was Low Recoil 00 Buck Shot. I dont remember the brand, maybe Rimmington, what ever the range offered. I just increased the 4 gas ports from 1/16, Front 3 to 3/32 and closest to piston to 5/64 and filed out the hole to give them better exposureand installed an auto plug. The local range will only allow low recoil ammo so I am restriced to that if anyone has any input on some good rounds priced decent.

I am pretty sure it was Low Recoil 00 Buck Shot. I dont remember the brand, maybe Rimmington, what ever the range offered. I just increased the 4 gas ports from 1/16, Front 3 to 3/32 and closest to piston to 5/64 and filed out the hole to give them better exposureand installed an auto plug. The local range will only allow low recoil ammo so I am restriced to that if anyone has any input on some good rounds priced decent.

my local wallmart has the federal game load on sale for 4.50 a box I cant relaod that cheap

You enlarged the ports and you're STILL having problems?

My S-12 has run like an absolute dream after I ported out the three holes to 3/32 and slightly enlarged the port hole on the gas block so it wouldn't obstruct the two side holes. I can run the cheap stuff with 100% reliability. I use the gunfixer four position gas plug on mine.