Help with Saiga 7.62x39 stock and trigger conversion

Whats up guys. I really want to start working a conversion on my new saiga. I had in mind doing the full conversion installing a collapsible stock, pistol grip(also adding the CA compliant bullet button), hand rail and moving the trigger group forward. I want to save money and I was looking at the tapco conversion kit. Should I save my money and get something a bit better or will I be good with tapco? I've been looking at CSS and I have seen magpul on their website along with many more brands. Im still new and need more help so I can make a good choice. Websites and prices will help thanks.

I am working on my new 7.62 right now. I picked up an ATI strikeforce package. It should have taken one day... Murphy showed up. I did a lot of research and ATI includes the pistol nut and screw.... The nut was made of plastic and was not even close to matching the nut. $7.00 part.. Shipping $9. Looking to find better deals. The Tapco trigger set I ordered came, unfortunatly it is missing the sleeve and disconector spring.... Waiting reply from vender. What ever you do, just plan on MURPHY showing up. Take your time. When you get frestrated, step away for a while. Today I think I will go to Home Depot and see what parts I can find to try and fix this thing.

I got the #6 kit with the Nato length stock and the billet trigger guard. I was a piece of cake. Very happy with it.

I got the bullet guide from Dinzag with the tap and drill but am sure CSS's kit is also good. I figure I got around 170.00 into the complete conversion.

post-39511-0-04883100-1332697935_thumb.jpg

Edited by Straydog

I just did the conversion on my 7.62x39 today, used the CSS T-6 kit with Molot pistol grip. Came with the nut, and it's steel. Did the bullet guide and modded the mag latch for AK mags while I had it all torn down.

photo86.jpg

Another

post-39511-0-93082500-1332700383_thumb.jpg

Nice job man. Looks great!

I just did the conversion on my 7.62x39 today, used the CSS T-6 kit with Molot pistol grip. Came with the nut, and it's steel. Did the bullet guide and modded the mag latch for AK mags while I had it all torn down.

photo86.jpg

Thats how i want mine to look once im done. Ur satisfied with tapco?

There are definately better stocks out there, but I liked my t6, it never gave me any grief. Its a decent option for someone who has limited money and wants to get something adjustable. Zip tie a piece of foam padding on the tube and its comfy as hell.

If money isnt an option Id say to go with an internal stock adapter and an ace skeleton or a solid billet type of stock. Youll never have to buy another one after that. You can also get an internal stock adapter with an AR tube type attatchment for a collapsable stock set up. Thats gonna run you over 100bucks. Then in the future if you want to make it a folding stock, you can do that too.

last year, right after my conversion...

post-31894-0-25666100-1332780765_thumb.jpg

There are definately better stocks out there, but I liked my t6, it never gave me any grief. Its a decent option for someone who has limited money and wants to get something adjustable. Zip tie a piece of foam padding on the tube and its comfy as hell.

If money isnt an option Id say to go with an internal stock adapter and an ace skeleton or a solid billet type of stock. Youll never have to buy another one after that. You can also get an internal stock adapter with an AR tube type attatchment for a collapsable stock set up. Thats gonna run you over 100bucks. Then in the future if you want to make it a folding stock, you can do that too.

last year, right after my conversion...

Sick man. Nice talking to u again. Ur ak looks good. Does ur stock wiggle alot?

If you go with the tapco t6, dont use the shitty screws they give you in the package. Use something a little bigger and more solid. My t6 never wiggled an inch where it was attatched to the receiver.

The main butt part, that slides over the tube, wiggles a bit, but thats what you get for the money you spend. Although, I never had a problem with movement when I pulled up to my shoulder.

Heres my rifle now. A hundred bucks here and a hundred bucks there, over the course of a year, will work wonders.

post-31894-0-46147300-1332782054_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boomsick42

If you go with the tapco t6, dont use the shitty screws they give you in the package. Use something a little bigger and more solid. My t6 never wiggled an inch where it was attatched to the receiver.

The main butt part, that slides over the tube, wiggles a bit, but thats what you get for the money you spend. Although, I never had a problem with movement when I pulled up to my shoulder.

Heres my rifle now. A hundred bucks here and a hundred bucks there, over the course of a year, will work wonders.

I see that you changed the gas tube and hand guard to a traditional ak look. Looks cool.

My kit has two screws for the buttstock, both for the top. After putting them in I saw that the stock would wiggle up and down a bit, so I took a flathead screw and put it in the bottom where the original one went, and notched my PG slightly to clear it, made a world of difference.

boomsick42, I've got a BUNCH of that foam but it has a self adhesive back on it, I was wondering if it would be worth it to use, knowing that eventually when I have to change it for whatever reason I'll spend a bit of time removing the adhesive more than likely.

I got the gas tube from MARKW1 on this forum, he gave me great price for a really nice part. I love it.

Ha, it looks like I changed to a normal ak handguard rail huh??

i didnt, I got the CHAOS rail for the 7.62x39, 223, 5.56 5.45, HIGHLY RECOMENDED!!! you wont have to fool around with a 50 dollar handguard retainer, or press off your front sight block or gas block to use a cheap ak retainer. It bolts right on and gives you that normal ak look

Its fuckin awesome!!!! and for115 for the chaos handguard, 25 for the gas tube it was absolutely worth it. Its definately something to save your money for.

here it is with the factory gas tube

then with an ak 74 gas tube

post-31894-0-63843500-1332786132_thumb.jpg

post-31894-0-56855700-1332786182_thumb.jpg

My kit has two screws for the buttstock, both for the top. After putting them in I saw that the stock would wiggle up and down a bit, so I took a flathead screw and put it in the bottom where the original one went, and notched my PG slightly to clear it, made a world of difference.

boomsick42, I've got a BUNCH of that foam but it has a self adhesive back on it, I was wondering if it would be worth it to use, knowing that eventually when I have to change it for whatever reason I'll spend a bit of time removing the adhesive more than likely.

On the t6, theres an oval shaped hole in the rear. just drill a hole big enough to put a zip tie through in the front, and rock and roll. I had mine on for months of shooting and it never moved. Depending on how thick the foam is you may want to stock two pieces together, then zip tie it on, so there wont be any adhesive to remove later.

I used two foam handle covers from ice scrapers and doubled them up, probably 1/2 -3/4" thick. I like a nice cheek weld though.

click on the pic I posted above so it gets big. You can see where I drilled the hole in the front and both pieces of foam

Edited by Boomsick42

I got the gas tube from MARKW1 on this forum, he gave me great price for a really nice part. I love it.

Ha, it looks like I changed to a normal ak handguard rail huh??

i didnt, I got the CHAOS rail for the 7.62x39, 223, 5.56 5.45, HIGHLY RECOMENDED!!! you wont have to fool around with a 50 dollar handguard retainer, or press off your front sight block or gas block to use a cheap ak retainer. It bolts right on and gives you that normal ak look

Its fuckin awesome!!!! and for115 for the chaos handguard, 25 for the gas tube it was absolutely worth it. Its definately something to save your money for.

here it is with the factory gas tube

then with an ak 74 gas tube

Nice! Whats the difference between the gas tube you bought from the one that came with the gun? Does the chaos rail come in colors?

The tubes are way different, the factory saiga one is just basically a tube connecting the rear sight block to the gas block, for the piston to go though, and nothing else. The ak74 tube is able to hold an upper handguard piece, since it has the brackets

I dont know about colors

The tubes are way different, the factory saiga one is just basically a tube connecting the rear sight block to the gas block, for the piston to go though, and nothing else. The ak74 tube is able to hold an upper handguard piece, since it has the brackets

I dont know about colors

Thats cool man. I think maybe towards the end of april ill work on picking up a tapco conversion kit to start off with.

I got the tapco conversion kit from CSS for mine also. I did use the stock screw that came with the saiga since the ones that come with the t-6 look shady. the pistol grip came with a steel nut also. The stock is a lil wobbly obviously since there is no buffer tube but for the $ its not bad and does the job. if your not wanting to spend a lot or just can't wait to tear into it (like me :) ...) I recommend the tapco. if you can magpul is a good choice also. here is what mines turned into so far

post-41309-0-87832900-1332907391_thumb.jpg

post-41309-0-53009000-1332907478_thumb.jpg

I got the tapco conversion kit from CSS for mine also. I did use the stock screw that came with the saiga since the ones that come with the t-6 look shady. the pistol grip came with a steel nut also. The stock is a lil wobbly obviously since there is no buffer tube but for the $ its not bad and does the job. if your not wanting to spend a lot or just can't wait to tear into it (like me :) ...) I recommend the tapco. if you can magpul is a good choice also. here is what mines turned into so far

Great job man. Looks real good. Do you like the handrail?

Great job man. Looks real good. Do you like the handrail?

Yeah, works well and is really sturdy.

Thread hijack:

I think if you're gonna run tapco, then tapco the fuk out of it like you did. looks good JB..........IMO002.giflaugh.png I would thread the muzzle though if possible where you live/in your skill set. It would really add the icing on the cake. Maybe a battlecomp or something.

My Tapco stock on a CAA poly tube, cost a little extra but I like it a lot

Thread hijacking ends

Thanks AZG, in fact I think one of my first posts here before I started converting was that I was going to "Tapco the hell out of it". I'm also a fan of symmetry and matching furniture which is why I didn't go with the Magpul stock body. As for a muzzle device, I really like the YHM Phantom or the Tapco RAZR as a distant second. Not a fan of brakes as the report tends to rattle me way more than x39 recoil, but I'm not sure I want to attempt threading the barrel. Anywho, sorry OP if this was a hijack, just hope the info helps

• Like 1