free gas block sight combo!

So maybe not completely free but if you got a dremil and a welder it can be with a little work. i decided the other day that i wanted a gas block front sight combo but couldn't find one for sale at a reasonable price. and then i found this link:

http://forum.novarat...php?f=24&t=1487

while i didn't do it the exact same way as the link suggests it did give me some inspiration. first i cut off my fsb and cut it out similarly to the picture in the link, then i just lined it up, held it in place with a welding magnet, and tacked it to the gas block. i checked the alignment, re-positioned it a little, and welded it in place. then the real fun began another hour or so of cleaning up my welds, sand blasting the barrel and gas block combo and it was ready for finishing. a little black oxide and some high temp black paint and i was done. only about 3 hours of work total. i just love the way it came out and how it works with the tws rear cover. now i just need a muzzle brake. i would have never tried this kind of stuff if it wasn't for this website and all of the knowledge i have gained from it so i would like to say thank you to everyone for contributing. now enjoy the pictures.

20120321205041.jpg

20120321204721.jpg

• Like 5

That is SWEET!

How did you know the right height to make the front sight housing? I would be afraid of making it too tall or too short. I know there is adjustment in the front sight itself - but it would bug me if the front sight was up at the top of the "ears" or nearly buried in the bottom.

cheers

tire iron

in the link he says to center the sight pin hole with the top of the gas block. i think this is going to work out correctly because the amount i removed from the bottom of the front post was the same as what i welded it to on the gas block. while i have not shot it yet there is a lot of adjustment on the front post and it won't bother me if i have to change it a little. i already had to drift the front site some when i put the tws cover on and started using the rear peep sight. that was one reason i did this so that i could fix this problem and center my post back up in the hood. i will give an update after i go shoot it in this configuration. thanks everyone for the compliments.

tig welding would be nice but i don't think it is needed in this application. all i have is a gas-less mig welder that uses flux core wire and i think it works fine for this kind of stuff. if i was working on a bolt carrier or any other moving part like that i would definitely use a tig. that being said the tig would do a cleaner job with less grinding cleanup. that's a nice rifle you got there tire iron! what kind of finish is that?

Edited by rogers