BHO mod (post conversion)

Hey everyone,

I am pretty new to the forums. Stalked for a while before I went through and picked up my Saiga. I've searched around for a long time and read a lot of threads about conversions and issues. One issue I noticed when I was converting, was the bolt hold open and how people had such a hard time with it. I'm not going to go into how much of a pain it is to get it reinstalled, but another thing I noticed was people wanting to eliminate it due to it hitting their fingers while firing. So I just thought I'd post up what I did, and maybe some others who have done something similar can share what they've done. I dont go to any ranges that like bolts closed during cease fires, and I'm not a big fan of jamming a case in there. So this is what I did to save it and make it comfortable:

The BHO extended down about 1/2" from the receiver. I used the Dremel and ground out an almost 45 degree angle from where I had it marked at the receiver, and thencreated a pocket in that where the finger can almost fit into during firing. I did a few trial grinds and installed between each to check for fit and how it felt against my finger. Once it was fit right, I rounded the edges and gave it a quick polish. I had thought to paint it to match the receiver but thought it may just wear off over time and went with the polished look. In the second picture you can see it looks to be touching my finger but it is just poor angle trying to take pics by myself. Last photo is how far it extends when BHO is activated. I could have ground it down more but I like a little showing. Anyways hope this idea helps a few others with the BHO issue (of comfort anyways) if you have any other ideas please post up, I'm sure I'm not the only one whos done something like this.

post-38885-0-40754700-1332523391_thumb.jpg

post-38885-0-52037700-1332523413_thumb.jpg

post-38885-0-61246500-1332523425_thumb.jpg

Edited by VR6Shooter
  • Like 2

Nah, you're not the only one. Most people just grind them down flat close to the receiver. Some prefer an angle with the front being ground down a bit more than the back. No matter what I did, it still bothered me so I just took it out. At least for the time being.

I think the type of grip used might place your trigger finger in closer proximity to the BHO. I use the SAW grip (which is considerably thicker) on both my S-12 and 308, and have never felt the BHO on my trigger finger while firing. Good job BTW. Does it make it easier to actuate as well? It looks like it would.

I think the type of grip used might place your trigger finger in closer proximity to the BHO. I use the SAW grip (which is considerably thicker) on both my S-12 and 308, and have never felt the BHO on my trigger finger while firing. Good job BTW. Does it make it easier to actuate as well? It looks like it would.

I believe you're right. The problem is that I use a Hogue grip and absolutely love it other than the problem with BHO lever interference with my trigger finger. That being the case, the BHO had to go.

It does. Rather than having to push up on it now, I can also force it backwards with my finger and it slides it up. So I get bi-directional activation now. Slide back or push up and no rub on trigger finger, I'll take it biggrin.png