The Texas Build is in full gear..

I got my final quote today on my 12' x 24' cabin to be built down near Van Horn, TX..

I have 11 acres down that way I bought last spring.. its going to have a gambrel roof for a loft also.

image002.jpg

SEastCornerSMALL.jpg

SECORNERlookingW.jpg

SouthWestRidgeLineS.jpg

Super stoked.. flying out the week of the April 15th to ELP..

Shipping my AR to myself and some ammo via UPS ground to have something with me while there putting it up.

Stay tuned..

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

IM000023.JPG

IM000022.JPG

roadside.jpg

Before paint from 'driveway'..

roadshot.jpg

Distance pic from about 1 1/2 - 2 miles up road...

distancepicM.JPG

Full property shot...

IM000020.JPG

Solar Panels and water Cistern/Capture systems will be next trip..

Edited by YWHIC
  • 2 weeks later...

Just noticed this, welcome to the most forsaken place there is!

Do not count on a lot from El Paso as far a Saiga community as there don't seem to be many of us here, but welcome again from the "Land that God Forgot".

Keep an eye out for coyotes, especially at night (both the two and four legged varieties are found here)

On the other hand, the steaks from the Cattleman's and the Tex-Mex food make up for a fair amount.

Edited by The Deacon
  • 1 month later...

that looks like a unibomber shed.... just saying. But even the unibomber would say it's too fucking hot to have a shed in west texas. LOL work on that air conditioning thing after that whole food and water business get sorted out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thought I'd toss an update..

Went shooting in my creek bed which was dry when I went out in April..

PitPic2.jpg

PitPic1.jpg

Got my solar panels sitting here in PA in storage.. 8 panels & 1160 watts worth.. and I ordered and tested up my Midnite Classic 150 controller.. be pumping 70+ amps per hour into the battery bank.. which is slated to be 700+AH in size..

Starting with a Xantrex 2000W Pure Sine inverter.. which I also bought and have been testing.. (I will be adding a 2nd one for a second leg for the little cabin)..

Pic2XantrexSmall.jpg

Testing 2 panels in 99'F heat up here I was getting good readings..

I also bought a simple 30 amp auto-transfer switch if I need to run a genny.. (not shown).

testpanels2.jpg

Single panel testing as well..

TestDay3.jpg

I have enough juice to power a 6500 watt A/C unit if needed (which I will need)..

Windows and such will also be added once i get back down there.. I have a guy from ELP keeping an eye on it and doing small things for me..

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

time for a very small draw AC unit and a couple more solar panels. Anything helps. Maybe a big cistern to circulate cold water through the floors with a low voltage pump.

• 1 month later...

Road trip.. July 16th to Texas.. me, my son, and my sister..

I did find a 6K BTU air conditioner for $175 with over 10.EER rating and only 4.8 amp draw.. :)

No worries, the blue water container on top right won't be their..

TestSetup.jpg

Bought PEX/Sharkbite, Sink, RV 110-120V pump.. Small generator for backup.. Also got 100amp AC breaker panel.. Got 4 food grade 6 gallon water jugs for starters, romex and bunch of stuff..

PlumbingParts.jpg

Doing electric wire run 1st.. then plumbing and sink.. I also grabbed a small 2 burner LP stove..

Sink.jpg

And a new AR pistol build.. 11 1/2" Carbine.. was $680 total to build..

PistolDone.jpg

Edited by YWHIC

Cool. Looks like you mean $680+$200 Total cost by the time you are done.

Is a well planned? I sure would want a septic drain field too.

Cool. Looks like you mean $680+$200 Total cost by the time you are done.

Is a well planned? I sure would want a septic drain field too.

Just $680.. its a pistol on a virgin lower and pistol tube(d).. not an SBR.. smile.png

Comparison2.jpg

Yes.. septic is planned for.. the water will be via 6 gal FDA type jugs (I have 4 currently) till I get a 275 gal tank from the .mil surplus centers.. I have a creek bed as well with low water table.. and bought a 3 stage filter to go with..

Edited by YWHIC

Yeah, but that Tax stamp will start to look appealing the more you play with it...

My grandparents and uncle lived on a mountain with a 50,000 water tower tank up the hill from them and a collection in a stream. Even with that, water supply was often a nuisance in rainy coastal Washington. I'd sure be making a well a high priority in your shoes. Even one of the old fashioned windmills running a piston pump and a cistern would be a big improvement over having to haul in water. Just the fuel cost would eventually cover the expense of drilling.

• 4 months later...

Updates..

Cabin is about done. Got propane water heater and propane wall mount heater installed. Insulation done.

I also got a small shop in Van Horn. Selling AR parts and ammo and waiting on the FFL application pkg for my 01.

Feel free to drop by and chat or if you having issues with your Saiga conversion I could give you some tips/tricks. wink.png

post-8775-0-54667100-1386170246_thumb.jpg

• Chatbox

Load More
    You don't have permission to chat.