That's something you would have to ask you gunsmith. A machist or skill friend is another option.

But seriously. Convert the rifle. And we are not freaks. There is a justified reason to convert these things. It's not just hype

Edited by hutchsaiga
  • Like 2

i am probably wrong but isnt a 30rd u.s made mag(promag or tapco) o.k to run in an unconverted gun. know they are not the good metal stuff but are they legal

922r only matters with either using magazines more than 10 rounds OR a pistol grip.

As I understand it, FACTORY Saiga rifles are made of 14 imported parts that COUNT as 922r specific parts.

The magazine is 3 of those parts. Taking it out of the rifle brings it to 11. So you need to remove a 922r specified part such as the handguard to bring it to magic number 10-compliant. Then you can use only US MADE magazines that are more than 10 rounds capacity.

Be aware using a pistol grip stock combo that doesn't require a conversion only removes one part (stock) and activates 922r compliance no matter what the magazine size (having a pistol grip activates it) meaning you can't use imported mags because your imported count would be 13 and the only other thing you can change besides the trigger group is the forearm, bringing you 2 parts past compliance with factory mag.

tldr: just convert it to a US made grip, stock, trigger, hammer, disconnector ( latter 3 = trigger group) and you are compliant with all mags so long as you don't attach an imported muzzle device.

here is an excellent checklist http://thegunwiki.co...erifyCompliance

Edited by MolonLabe

I've talked to a gunsmith about installing my bullet guide (he's a forum member, I don't want to disclose who just in case that price wasn't supposed to be "advertised") but he offered to do ti for $35 (I live in the same area, so it would be a drop off, not a mail away).

$35 to drill and tap a hole is probably fair as far as smiths go. However, drilling and taping a hole is pretty simple stuff and unless I didn't own a drill, and couldn't borrow one, I wouldn't dream of paying someone to do it. BTW I'm not a real mechanical or tool savvy guy either.

Weld? MAYBE if you broke a tap off and tried everything you could to get it out and couldn't. I don't like to make a mod that would be permanent like that, and I've welded quite a bit over the years and would hesitate to attempt it.

Speaking as one of the "Freaks" I had to be talked into doing a conversion.....that was over a dozen rifles and shottys ago! (Not all mine) . With ALL of the conversion (restoration) videos out there, ANYONE can do it!! Now, you might not have any faith in yourself, that's human, doing something that you've never done before, but SERIOUSLY, it is EASY!!! Once you unleash the wonderful, quality rifle that is hidden under the Rube Goldberg trigger system, install a bullet guide, you can take advantage of all the cheap comblock mags out there that are tough as nails! OR, you can just keep on using it like it is, if you want to stay legal. Your rifle, your choice.

Have you even shot one thats been restored to it's full potential? I guarantee you that if you do, you won't be able to look at your rifle until you order the parts and start the conversion!big_smile.gif

Speaking as one of the "Freaks" I had to be talked into doing a conversion.....that was over a dozen rifles and shottys ago! (Not all mine) . With ALL of the conversion (restoration) videos out there, ANYONE can do it!! Now, you might not have any faith in yourself, that's human, doing something that you've never done before, but SERIOUSLY, it is EASY!!! Once you unleash the wonderful, quality rifle that is hidden under the Rube Goldberg trigger system, install a bullet guide, you can take advantage of all the cheap comblock mags out there that are tough as nails! OR, you can just keep on using it like it is, if you want to stay legal. Your rifle, your choice.

Have you even shot one thats been restored to it's full potential? I guarantee you that if you do, you won't be able to look at your rifle until you order the parts and start the conversion!big_smile.gif

Well said. It's been said a million times on this forum. But it's still good to hear people that appreciate the real rifle underneath .

And FYI to new folks. The saiga rifle wasnt designed. It was slapped together on an existing platform to meet shitty import requirements. It is 100% not the way the rifle was intended.

Edit to add- all ak rifles have bullet guides too,they are not built into the front trunnion, This is not saiga specific. All others are just done at the factory instead of in your garage like a saiga:)

Edited by hutchsaiga