New IZ-340 for conversion

Well after the great time I had with converting my 7.62 I decided with these new platforms with half the work done this would be a fun easy project to get into the 5.45 game. A couple quick questions about the 340's since it seems to be conflicting at times.

Do the receivers have the trigger holes cut?

Do these require bullet guides?

Thats about it seems like the informations scattered about goes back and forth on these things.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply guess I'll go ahead and make my oreder up tonight for the basic stuff. I havent seen too many stock options out there it actually seems like the amount of options have decreased since my last conversion.

I did a quick test when i took mine to the range for the first time. needless to say it was bare bones, no work done on it at all.

The round fed flawlessly through the stock magazine (which is to be expected). I had heard that some dont need bullet guides, so i pulled out the tapco 5.45 mag i had bought.

When i was benching the rifle, it ran perfectly. no last round hangups, no misfeeds of any sort. I was happy.

I then stood up with the tapco. all the rounds fired normally except for the last one. that one misfed. I'm thinking that the springs in the tapcos are not strong enough to deal with a little bit of me moving around, or the follower tilts from lack of spring pressure

I dont know what a surplus mag would do in there, maybe the springs or followers are better.

Either way, I will be installing a bullet guide.

Good to know, I was going to order some tapco mags since every other mag option out there seems to be more than double the price of them. I run tapco's on my 7.62 and have never had any issues with them or had any malfunctions. I will do a few runs with it before I start the work and see if she needs the guide or not. Then I'll wait and watch the mag prices and see if they fall, its funny I used to always ssay I was going to get a 5.45 because of the cheap ammo but maybe I missed the boat a little. I mean ammo is still better than most others but I remember when 1080 cans were $95 now they are up to 150 around here. I always saw the mags for the same price as regular 47 mags but now seems like of course after I buy mine they jump lol. Damn murphys law oh well going to stock pile a few cases of ammo before the prices get any higher.

• 2 weeks later...

i got mine from atlantic firearms.

It comes with dimples :)

ordered it maybe month and a half ago...

when you convert it, you might want to install the trigger guard and pistol grip first... If i could do mine over, i would have those two pieces installed before anything else. would have made getting them in a bit easier.

I got my 340 from Atlantic as well. It has dimples and the holes cut too. I'm pretty sure the Russians are aware of what we're doing with the rifles over here, and I think they've tried to simplify the process for us, while remaining importable, to increase sales.

New stock, pistol grip, and the triggerguard/fcg, and you have your work done. Add a muzzle-brake/flash hider if you want. (I did).biggrin.png

I was on the fence about getting a Saiga because I didn't want to have to worry about the FSB and GB swap. Now that this version is available, it was a no-brainer, and now I want one in 7.62x39.

Mine did need the bullet guide. It seemed trouble-free until I attempted to use the E. German bakelite mags, and every 3rd or 4th round would fail to feed.

After installing the bullet guide, it has been flawless, with all magazines.