Finally fired my Saiga .223 this weekend

Hello:

I finally got familiar with my 16" Saiga .223 saturday. I bench rest fired at 50 yards because all the 100 yard benches were taken. Oh well ... my goal was to just get familiar with my gun. I shot 55 gr. PMC bronze and Tula ammo using my 10-round magazine.

I forgot to bring my spotting scope!

My plan was to sight-in the iron sights first. It fired a good group, but I soon learned I need a special tool to adjust azimuth on the front sight. So ... I went ahead and mounted my little 4 x 32 tactical scope and proceeded to sight it in instead. Once I got on target, I fired 100 rounds of Tula ammo and I was pleased to see I kept the vast majority of my shots in the 9 - 10 ring region with many bullseyes too. Several holes were touching each other. Strangely, the Tula ammo seemed more accurate than the PMC ammo. I mention that because I've hit clay pigeons at 200+ yards using PMC in an AR-15. Go figure.

So ... I look forward to replenishing my ammo stash, remembering my spotting scope, firing only a few shots at a time, and seeing what my Saiga can do at 100 yards. I'll be happy if my shots stay in the black. This is due more to me than the gun.

My only complaint is the trigger is heavy, and accuracy suffered whenever I fired rapid semi-auto instead of firing one shot at a time. For the purpose of sighting-in, I had to really take my time and concentrate on my trigger pull. Also, the recoil is more pronounced than an AR-15's, my shells were dented when ejected from the chamber (as expected), and my AK-style scope mount blocks the view of the iron sights. One has to get used to the trigger and the recoil of the Saiga. "Recoil" is a relative term. It certainly doesn't kick like a .30-06, but it's enough to require you to concentrate on staying on the gun when you fire it. Accuracy is helped by shouldering the Saiga firmly.

So ... for about $350 I think I got my money's worth. I did not expect a tournament rifle, but I strongly suspect I can have tighter groups staying in the 10 ring/bullseye region at 50 yards if I can learn how to lighten the trigger, or get a better trigger, or just simply learn to shoot it better. Pardon my ignorance, but are there better triggers for the Saiga .223 out there? It seems that'd make a difference. I guess a muzzle brake would help too.

All in all, my Saiga was fun to shoot. At the very least, it's a good "SHTF" gun to have. All of my shots would have been fatal if they had been for real. I look forward to fine tuning my Saiga a bit more.

I second the conversion and adding a bullet guide and using higher capacity magazines if they are permitted in your area. The gun is much more accurate than given credit for:

post-21735-0-60467400-1326217712_thumb.jpg

That's a 100 yard group from Iron sights.

Edited by DJ Big Dog
  • Like 2

What kind of conversion are you guys talking about and what kind of trigger should I get? I already bought a TAPCO stock that doesn't require moving the trigger group forward.

To DJ Big Dog: Your 100 yd. group is great! That's what I was getting at 50 yards with a heavy trigger.

Thanks! smile.png

I second the conversion and adding a bullet guide and using higher capacity magazines if they are permitted in your area. The gun is much more accurate than given credit for:

WOW, what ammo did you use to get that group????

Not saying a person shouldn't do a complete conversion. Simply saying that it's a "Personal" thing. It's not a "Make it original" thing or any other reason. it's 100% personal preference.

Why do i say this? Simple. I've owned a LOT of AK's in my life. And within a year or two I would sell them. Main reason is because i NEVER like the positioning of the trigger (Fire Control Group) in relationship to the front stock. I'd keep buying AK's thinking I'd get use to it or it would be different.

Albert Einstein Quotes

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Well, I had the opportunity to hold, feel, and dry-fire a Saiga .223 about 2 years ago. It "FELT" different. (That's because the trigger (FCG) is further back. But "I LIKED IT". I have done a complete conversion/modification of the Saiga .223. Including a Renegadebuck AR Magazine adapter. New Stock, Forarm Grip, piston, etc... The only thing I DIDN'T change was the trigger/FCG. Why? Because that's the ONLY REASON I'm keeping the Saiga .223. I didn't like an AK in normal configuration, and I WOULDN'T LIKE a Saiga .223 made back to an AK format. So for me, I have absolutely no desire to move the trigger (FCG). Not saying that others wouldn't want to. Maybe they want a traditional AK chambered in .223/5.56 (AK-101). For me, I don't like traditional AK's. But, with the trigger (FCG) further back, I like it much better.

It was 62 grain BTHP they were loaded by my uncle he uses it in his AR and handloads he wanted to see if his mix would work in my rifle too for commonality...I was using a bench rest that was bolted dwn so if I got close on the first shot I just kept squeezing....I am however very handy with my lil saiga...ask anyone who saw me putting flares out from 100 yards at the pumpkin shoot in lapeer at the pit (btw the flares were smoke flares from a launcher)...or punching holes in pumpkins from that range with my Taurus pt92 the previous year...lol Guess I'm just a natural or horribly lucky...lol

Restored since 09 and into the rifle between 12-13K rounds... 4K on the MSA adapter.

The MAIN reason I bought this rifle is that it is reliable. The Kalashnikov is hands down THE "SHTF" choice.

post-20073-0-23441500-1333684697_thumb.jpg

As it turns out, unbeknownst to me at time of purchase, the 5.56 is the same OD as the 7.62 bbl, but obviously smaller bore... A "poor man's HBAR"... Turns out (in my case, and apparently others here) it IS pretty darn accurate. As accurate as the AR's most people shoot, or are capable of shooting...

My family, and friends have AR's... This rifle uses not only Circle 10 and Galil magazines (bullet guide installed), but it also runs the magazines my OTHER rifle runs:

post-20073-0-45360000-1333684743_thumb.jpg

Next rifle is a Saiga DMR 308. My husband got the S-12 covered. smile.png

Edited by bohound

It was 62 grain BTHP they were loaded by my uncle he uses it in his AR and handloads he wanted to see if his mix would work in my rifle too for commonality...I was using a bench rest that was bolted dwn so if I got close on the first shot I just kept squeezing....I am however very handy with my lil saiga...ask anyone who saw me putting flares out from 100 yards at the pumpkin shoot in lapeer at the pit (btw the flares were smoke flares from a launcher)...or punching holes in pumpkins from that range with my Taurus pt92 the previous year...lol Guess I'm just a natural or horribly lucky...lol

Stock iron sites or after market? Ak's are not suppose to be that accurate. Is your gas tube vented, and with or without a muzzle brake?

Edited by haldir

Stock iron sites or after market? Ak's are not suppose to be that accurate. Is your gas tube vented, and with or without a muzzle brake?

Key words: "not suppose".

Know what happens when you assume? ;)

Believe it. Mine's that accurate too.

• Like 1

Stock irons, modified g2 dinzag trigger, dph screw on adapter and fh/mb...it really is a great rifle and the 223/5.56 really screams outta this thing. I hit the 2"X2" target on a 1/2 lb of tannerite 98% of the time.

Edited by DJ Big Dog