Any s20 specific wisdom? I'm ready to convert\restore

So I have ordered a basic conversion kit from CSS.(great service) Along with that I have a

vice

punchs

needle nose pliers

rubber mallot

thread locker

paint

drill and 3/16 bit

pos dremmel( hope not to need)

an s20 that cycles it all

a new us made puc

waiting on butt stock and hand guard

Is there anything specific to the s20 I need to know?

spring bends? notches? , blessings or pre conversion rituals? super_man.gif

I have read, reread and watched a bunch of videos on converting various saigas. I have not found any detailed videos or picture threads on s20 specific conversion.

Thanks for any assistance

PS this forum is a ghost town now that everyone has the 8 round mags

I followed the CSS videos to convert mine (I got the CSS kit as well with the SAW grip), no big deal except for 2 broken drill bits and the little bolts that come with the trigger guard are too big to actually mount inside the receiver because it would hang up on the tapco fcg.. The front one is fine, the rear trigger guard bolt is the one that hangs up. (may just be my saiga, but worth looking at). I flipped it around and hid the bolt by spray painting it and tucking it up in the pistol grip groove. The plate that CSS gives you in the kit is much nicer than the axis pin retainer spring. It went pretty much the same way as the 12, the hardest part was putting the BHO back in cause of that damn spring and trying to figure out what was messing up the trigger. I don't have one of those 8 rounders, but 2 of those 13 rounders are nice playtoys.

Edited by Schwag

The rear trigger guard bolt was catching on the trigger where the 2 ends of the hammer spring sit and it was causing it not to reset all the way. Once it was flipped, totally smooth, and yes the 13 shell magazines work great in my saiga and are a hell of a lot of fun. Only had a few problems, but a tiny dab of lithium grease on the follower fixed it. Those 8 rounders are solid, they are next on my buy list. I didnt even have a vice and it took me around 3 hours give or take because of the paint drying outside (it was like 80 out). I just took my old organic chem book (lol) and wedged it up under the front to drill the bottom rivets out and laid it flat on the book to drill out the 2 sides. Took my dremel and cut out the PG nut hole identical to a Kalashnikov receiver flat picture online. You'll be glad you spent the money and the time to restore it Mr. Kalashnikov's original design.

Edited by Schwag

Completed basic conversion today and test fired a few rounds. So far it seems fine. I will go to the farm tomorrow and shoot some more for a truer endurance test. Still looking for the right stock so I had to put the horse shit ugly original on for now. So no pics yet. Things went a lot smoother than I imagined. I took my time and watched the css vids while I was doing it. I must have gotten lucky with the bho spring cause it went on easy cheesy. My difficult part was the forward rivet holding the tg on. I drilled off center slightly and had to use a dremmel to finish that one.

Thanks to every one that contributes to these forums.

• Like 1

Yep had an issue with one of the rivets myself. Man, I had to take a dental pick to hold that damn spring on the bho while fooling with the axis pin. Tapped the gas block off of mine yesterday and went to .093 on the gas ports(they were about .060 on a good day), enlarged the gas block where the ports reside, profiled the hammer and it runs like a champ. Good to see its successful. Once its converted right, you'll never look back. Take it out and do this to it: http://www29.zippysh...62855/file.html

its not spam, its a video of me. Did this today, in the middle of nowhere BFE 2 hours away from where I reside with my buddies lol. My Oris automatic watch probably hates me after today. Was using Winchester 2.75" AA Super sport 1300FPS 7/8oz. loads. (wouldn't run these at all before drilling, hell the gun would barely run slugs after conversion) Like 6 bucks a box at the local wallyworld. It still hates the Winchester universal (will cycle sometimes). Haven't tried the Federal. So if it doesn't cycle post conversion, take a look at that, drilliing did wonders and the BC isn't destroying my rear trunnion by overgassing it....but all these damn shotguns are different.

Edited by Schwag