MD Arms Double Stack Mag Patent

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well get your ass in there software programmer! Quit running your mouth about all the shit you can do based off the books you've read. Build it, hell wasn't you over in Red Jackets area bitching about

This is definately coming to market. Multiple capacities. Will take both 2 3/4 and 3".   As far as patents... I never patented the drum. There are to many different ways someone could make a d

Meh, I make 8 round stick mags for $55 each that sell within the range I want them to. If that is over your price range your free to go elsewhere.   Price levels exist in all items. The MD arms drum

Posted Images

If it works reliably, it would be extremely practical IMO. Many people find the 8 round mags to be the acceptable limit of length. (I am not one of them, since I've never found the 12 to get in the way of anything other than storage and transport.) however a 14 round mag of the same length is a lot more firepower. For a truck or ranch gun, that makes the utility choice between a carbine and a shotgun a lot narrower.

I can say that I would find it ideal to have a couple 16 round mags full of birdshot by the backdoor. Then when a flock of starlings descend, I would have a reasonable chance of obliterating a mag's worth before they were out of range.

• Like 3

If it works reliably, it would be extremely practical IMO. Many people find the 8 round mags to be the acceptable limit of length. (I am not one of them, since I've never found the 12 to get in the way of anything other than storage and transport.) however a 14 round mag of the same length is a lot more firepower. For a truck or ranch gun, that makes the utility choice between a carbine and a shotgun a lot narrower.

I can say that I would find it ideal to have a couple 16 round mags full of birdshot by the backdoor. Then when a flock of starlings descend, I would have a reasonable chance of obliterating a mag's worth before they were out of range.

For me I'm more of going with numbers in 5. Makes tracking easier when your pulling from boxes of 25 for target loads. I would love to see a 25rd drum but I understand the limit on 20. It's Fricken heavy. I have one and I will be waiting for another awesome deal to get 2 more.

Also most slugs 00 ect come in packs of 5. I know my sst slugs do and man they are brutal but I'd hate to see what's on the other end, my shoulder gets enough.

As for cloning promags can suck my .......

I don't want to be a party pooper because I hope they work and make it into production.  But I am sure the reason that they have not, is that they can't be made to work reliably.

If you look at a double stack rifle mag, the shells are metal and slick, and also the shape of the rounds are a thin cylinder.  These characteristics are what help the rounds combine into the narrower column.  One more thing is that there is no issue with the rims.  Imagine trying to get plastic shells (fat, heavy, not slick) to organize into a single column while also somehow organizing the overlap of the rims.  It's a logjam.

• Like 1

Imagine trying to get plastic shells (fat, heavy, not slick) to organize into a single column while also somehow organizing the overlap of the rims.  It's a logjam.

This is exactly what the patent was about, Mike says he figured this out and I am sure he did.  There could be a production problem or something else holding it up, but I am fairly certain the design itself would work.

Didn't Tony Rumore post here a couple of years ago that he tested a prototype and it worked great?

If I were to speculate on the hold-up.... and I will....

I was thinking the manufacturing and sale of his drums didn't turn out to be as profitable as he had hoped

considering all of the time, effort, expense, etc. Especially the first time you do that type of project, it's

really expensive since you make a lot of first time mistakes.

Maybe he is forecasting marginal profit on the DS mags to get them to market and doesn't want to be stuck

with a garage full of mags that he can't move profitably.

If that was the case, I'd license the mag design to an established mag mfr. and wait for the checks to hit my mailbox.

Just speculating though..... who knows.

To me, the double stack is an attempt to upscale a format beyond it's limits of reliability.  (Spring force of heavy rounds against gravity into funnel)  But if you went to redesign a shotgun from scratch like Kel Tec did or others are going to do, it would most likely be mag-fed but abandon the traditional format.  I like what Kel Tec did as far as being high capacity and compact, with likely scaleability to larger capacity.  I also like how it ejects down

So when other manufactures go to develop their modern shotgun, presumably they would go with a similar design rather than drums or mags, which are bulky and at a disadvantage to gravity

Tube fed is already a much more complex system and they more than doubled the critical components. Their feed mechanism is dependent on pieces of steel cast into plastic. Even when the plastic left them in the right place as they cast it, and the machine runs, watch videos of people running it. Even the owners who have had them a while are constantly forgetting and running a tube dry then having a moment of confusion, then selecting the next tube. Just about every time. IMO that's poor human engineering. UTAS made theirs auto flip when empty, so long as you left a lever in the right place for that to happen, but a lot of people were having problems with it.

• Like 1

To me, the double stack is an attempt to upscale a format beyond it's limits of reliability. (Spring force of heavy rounds against gravity into funnel) But if you went to redesign a shotgun from scratch like Kel Tec did or others are going to do, it would most likely be mag-fed but abandon the traditional format. I like what Kel Tec did as far as being high capacity and compact, with likely scaleability to larger capacity. I also like how it ejects down

So when other manufactures go to develop their modern shotgun, presumably they would go with a similar design rather than drums or mags, which are bulky and at a disadvantage to gravity

I take it you don't have a drum or a s12. These are amazing firearms to be able to gunsmith at home.

And no matter how simple your tube loading is, it is still way slower than a detachable mag. Plus detachable mags can have many different capacities.

Reloading, detachable mag is fast, that's true.  But maybe the ideal thing would be detachable twin tube.  Per GunFun, the mechanics to switch the feed from 1 tube to the other would have to be redesigned to be automatic.  I'm only talking about a theoretical future shotgun, and I really like the compact format of that KSG.  But I do agree that the added mechanical complexity is a negative

• 2 months later...