MD Arms Double Stack Mag Patent

While having all that jazz available for starlings descending is OK, out here in SW OR it would be really neat to have all that big double stack fun when ALL the valley quail covey up and all the many wild turkeys become ... a turkey shoot.  But it is one thing to talk about illegal poaching activity ... it is an entirely different thing to actually act upon it which we would never never never do so there.  Yikes! :)

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well get your ass in there software programmer! Quit running your mouth about all the shit you can do based off the books you've read. Build it, hell wasn't you over in Red Jackets area bitching about

This is definately coming to market. Multiple capacities. Will take both 2 3/4 and 3".   As far as patents... I never patented the drum. There are to many different ways someone could make a d

Meh, I make 8 round stick mags for $55 each that sell within the range I want them to. If that is over your price range your free to go elsewhere.   Price levels exist in all items. The MD arms drum

Posted Images

I'm there with you but with geese. I'd sure love to light up the sky with a 25 round drum or two to compensate for my lack practice but I'm the sort who can't litter without being paranoid about hearing WOIP WOIP behind me for the next 3 hours I'll never do it.

• Like 1

Out here in SW OR we have lots of Canadian Geese flying around here in their distinctive "V" formations.  We know why they are called honkers because that is what they do ... HONK  HONK!  A really nice relaxing sound like crickets or soft rain or the the wind going through the pine trees.  Our nick name for them is "B29s" because that is how big they seem.  When they are low one can hear the "woosh woosh" of their wings.  Also because the shit splat is about the size of a tea cup saucer!  Yikes again! :)

• Like 1

Many of our friends are rich and stuff and have some pasture in their rural property and do some hay growing or truck farming.  They have found that the B29s definitely recognize individual humans and have become quite tame.  Smart ducks indeed.  That is if they feed them and do not shoot them.  I for one have had several B29s on the ground almost but not quite eat out of my hand.  I suppose this might save time during duck season.  Are B29's good to eat?  Any special cooking recommendations?  Yumm yumm.

That means there are 10 years left until the idea is completely public domain, unless there is a challenge based on prior art or something in the mean time.

I like it! That's a silver lining!! I read about a word "kaizen". Means perpetually improving something. I wish he would just let it out, let the community play test em, find issues, suggest possible fixes, and " real world" test em. Cause you know some fudd is gonna do some reaaaaaaaaall dumb shit with it, and you may not have planned for it...

Long story long, if Only 1 in three is good, just price em accordingly and I can trash the un working ones?

If I were in his shoes, I'd be negotiating with Remington/ Mossberg and Magpul to be the OEM supplier to their eventual modern shotgun.

oh wow you're all full of ideas!!! I'm gonna go negative in ya and say it's gonna take em 30 years to come out with a "modern mag fed" type guns

Getting back away from B29 shit and focusing upon double stack S12 mags, did not the Russian Mosin Nagant use some sort of case staggerer in the rifle or mag to alternately feed the rimmed 7.62x54 cartridge case?  Left, right, left, right and so on.  Would that method or device still be usable?  Could it work on a S12 double stack?  The British SMLE types also come to mind.  Both could be recharged from stripper clips very quickly.

Edited by HB.  The usual;   sintax, sppeeelling, wong word, grammour, puntunication, etc.

Edited by HB of CJ

PSL mags are also staggered, double column for rimmed cartridges.  Can run pretty reliably when fitted/matched to a given  rifle. Maybe shotshell hulls are more difficult to make work in such a magazine geometry due to lack of pronounced  taper like 54R?

• Like 1

Yep.  That plus the naggy facts we have experienced is that over time, some cheapo plastic hulls tend to bend just a tad when stored loaded in the single stack box mags.  Just enough to be a problem chambering.  Our solution is not to leave the box mags loaded for any length of time like a day or so.  There may be a solution for this?

A double stack box mag solution or fix might be to have some way to release ALL the spring tension for long term loaded storage?  Like drums.

Another possibility already addressed I'm sure is that the mag spring tension quickly becomes too high.  Enough that the top shells like to pop out of the box mag if one wants enough spring pressure to reliably feed the last couple of shells.  Could a solution be a spring powered shell lifter rotating gadget just before chambering? 

Or multiple rotating spring powered shell lifters inside the stack?  Why can not I speell shells?  I always type it as sheels.  Shit.  Slight stroke.

Then we have the friction problem.  Too much of it inside the shot shell box mag.  A double stack would make it worserer.  Perhaps a low friction coating inside the double stack box mag?  Spring powered multiple rotating shell lifters inside the stacks?  I wish I had the time and money to fool around with this.  A limited market indeed.

Or ... could somebody just file two flats in the base lip of each shotgun shell?  Opposite sides to eliminate the rimmed problems.  But then special shells would be needed.  Shit.  Plus then existing feed issues would become a problem.  More shit.

Thus the rub.  I wonder if anybody has already patented the aforementioned mag ideas?  Seems to me it would be simple mature material lifting tech already done for 100 years.  Would the patents still be good or could one legally use the public domain ones?  There must be a cool cheap way to make BIG double stacks work.

Edited by HB;  This is being posted because even as I speak we are loading up a bunch of various mags/belts full of all sorts of goodies including bird bombs, tracers, parachute flares, etc.. for our annual (anal) mid night shoot off.  Very fun. Hee hee.  Ahh ... the sound and sights of cool full belt and mag tracer dumps.

All US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.  We do not drink.  Very cold and wet here.  Some snow. Be careful.  etc..

Edited by HB of CJ

PSL mags are also staggered, double column for rimmed cartridges.  Can run pretty reliably when fitted/matched to a given  rifle. Maybe shotshell hulls are more difficult to make work in such a magazine geometry due to lack of pronounced  taper like 54R?

PSL magazines are double stack to the top. This design requires going from a double stack to a single stack about two shells down from the top.

If you can figure out how to dump 20 marbles at once into a funnel with a spout the size of one marble without it jamming, you are onto the solution of the double to single stack.

I deem it impossible, and am more than happy to be proven wrong.

• Like 3

PSL magazines are double stack to the top. This design requires going from a double stack to a single stack about two shells down from the top.

If you can figure out how to dump 20 marbles at once into a funnel with a spout the size of one marble without it jamming, you are onto the solution of the double to single stack.

I deem it impossible, and am more than happy to be proven wrong.

I agree with your logic,but mags can go from quad to double and that gives me hope!

Yeah, probably not impossible but highly improbable. First thought for a quad-stack mag is that you'll need something like a variable-geometry follower. Maybe there's a simpler solution, but I can't think of any other way to transition from 4 columns to single-feed. Bears more thought. 

• Like 1

Its doubtful that a quad stack mag for inconsistent rimmed shells would ever be reliable.

Just look at the surefire quad stacks in 223, arguably a much more favorable cartridge for feeding.

They work pretty well, and are a pretty impressive bit of engineering, but are not reliable enough for military or LE, most three gunners have stopped using them as well.

I wish them good luck and success, but its a tough one

• Like 1

Its doubtful that a quad stack mag for inconsistent rimmed shells would ever be reliable.

Just look at the surefire quad stacks in 223, arguably a much more favorable cartridge for feeding.

They work pretty well, and are a pretty impressive bit of engineering, but are not reliable enough for military or LE, most three gunners have stopped using them as well.

I wish them good luck and success, but its a tough one

Yeah

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/76076-md-arms-double-stack-mag-patent/?p=1034828

• 1 month later...

Just load the shot shells like you do 7.62X54R in a mosin. you put one rim in front of the other when loading them. thats what on i do with my mosin and my SVT-40 both cycle fine never had a rim jam up.

id assume you can do this with a shot shell? thats how they load in the normal single stack mags anyways. One on top of the other with rims in front of the other.

I want one of these so bad. i run my S-12 in 3 and a 20 rd box mag would be great to have. the 20rd drum works and its great but it is a little akward to hold.

NECRO THREAD woohoo!!! hopefully if we keep bringing it back the DS mags will be for sale soon???

Edited by shifty_85
  • Like 1

Just load the shot shells like you do 7.62X54R in a mosin. you put one rim in front of the other when loading them. thats what on i do with my mosin and my SVT-40 both cycle fine never had a rim jam up.

id assume you can do this with a shot shell? thats how they load in the normal single stack mags anyways. One on top of the other with rims in front of the other.

I want one of these so bad. i run my S-12 in 3 and a 20 rd box mag would be great to have. the 20rd drum works and its great but it is a little akward to hold.

NECRO THREAD woohoo!!! hopefully if we keep bringing it back the DS mags will be for sale soon???

Then more this thread is brought back the longer it will be. He adds one month per resurrection.

• Like 1

Sometimes I click on "You Tube" and just watch the various old mechanical machinery movies, including filling and capping pill bottles, small product and parts handling machines, beverage machines and older mechanisms that have been around for 100 years.  There must be a way a reliable double stack to single stack S12 mag could be made to work.  A hundred good brains are better than one.  Exclude mine. :)

• Like 1

Tubes put too much weight forward. A mag fed shotty that used a hi cap mag that went in the stock would be interesting. Could be a tubular mag.

You mean a bullpup?
I think he means something like a UTS-15 (yuck) with the mag tubes made to be detachable.

Or perhaps something like a KSG in semiauto with detachable tubes.

Edited by Heartbreaker

Very cool.  Is that a working belt fed or is it just a photo shoot mock up?  I did click on the main site with the photo section.

Sadly just a mock up i found googling saiga things one night. would be amazing if it was real.

then make a back pack feed set up to feed 12 gauge out of the pack to the shotgun.

• Like 1

Now wondering if the feed system on a belt gun might be modified to feed a big stack shotgun mag?  The USN had a neat system with the automatic post WW2 8" navy guns.  Also the alternate feed on the old post WW2 3' USN automatic guns.  Humm.  Double or triple stack to a single stack ... that is the question.  Probably dream about it tonight. :)