New Saiga 12 Owner Introduction

Grats. It looks nice. I bet that brake is LOUD. XD

Interesting to see Bernie changed a few things since I got my SB Spike kit, most notably the receiver cover has more room on the left side now.

Is there a cutout now on the barrel shroud to access the gas regulator, and do you have an aftermarket plug? I may have to see if I can get Bernie to send me a new shroud!

Edited by Sian

I honestly couldn't say about loudness of it with or without the brake, I always wear ear protection so I don't notice grimace.gif ...

The muzzle brake really does a great job of controlling muzzle rise on follow up shots, and the recoil (which isn't too bad) just goes straight back. I'm going to try to get out to the ranch today and do some more shooting, and I'll post videos!

I'm using an MD Arms V-Plug, and the top half of the barrel shroud has a notch cut out of of it, so there should be plenty of room for a TAC47 Auto plug too. Here' a picture of it:

photo.jpg

Edited by smilingbob

10 minutes of cutting and you have the same thing....

Those kits are looking alot better to me now for some reason. Is it heavy? How heavy is it, and can it work with a converted trigger?

The Draco kit looks very appealing to me for rifle calibers. it would do about everything I want an SBR to do without a tax stamp.

Edited by GunFun

Hi GunFun,

Yes, it comes with two trigger bars, one for an unconverted and one for the converted. Here are some additional Specs:

Overall Length (including the JT Engineering muzzle brake):
33 7/16" (30" without the muzzle brake, 41" originally)

Length of Pull:
16" (14.5" originally?)

Weight:
10-11 lbs unloaded, depending on magazine (7.5-8 lbs originally?)

It's a little on the hefty side, but by no means unmanageable as the balance makes it very easy to control. This is particularly important for me given that I'm left-handed, but would have to shoot with my right hand if I want to shoulder it. As it stands, I can fire the weapon with only my right hand alone (I shot a video of this last night, and will post it this evening).

The Draco kit looks pretty good, though

with the factory 30-round mags. Here are the details concerning that from the CBRPS website:

Note: Some Draco pistols that utilize receivers that were originally set up for underfolder rear stocks will have fit issues, and may only be able to easily accomodate 20 round mags. 30 rounders may work but not perfectly.

I hope that helps!

Edited by smilingbob

10 minutes of cutting and you have the same thing....

Except on mine that's where the weld is....

Those kits are looking alot better to me now for some reason. Is it heavy? How heavy is it, and can it work with a converted trigger?

Bernie's been including a short trigger bar for converted Saigas.

Did some measuring around and here's what I got:

Short form: your Saiga12 will gain about 2lb over import configuration.

Assuming weigh as listed: 7.9lb stock w/5rd empty magazine

Weight removed from system:

Stock handguard 5.68 oz

Stock buttstock 12.31 oz

5rd izmash magazine 6.6 oz

total: - 1.54lb

Weight added to system:

topcover+rail: 5.33 oz

body: 1lb 4.53oz

trigger bar: 3.81oz

receiver cover: 6.98oz

Tac shroud with 1 rail, sling swivel: 10.3 oz

Buttplate: 5.3 oz

per addl rail: 1.83 oz

Total CB Spike system weight: 3.27lb

Weight gain: 1.72lb

Total Bare weight: 9.20lb (Without magazine)

as configured:

+Streamlight TLR1 4.06oz

+Tasco pro point 7.3oz

+3 point sling 5.95oz

+folding foregrip 4.06oz

+11rds buckshot w/AGP 10rd 2lb

(empty AGP 10: 11.68 oz)

Configured weight (empty) 11.27lb

Loaded weight: 12.53lb 015.gif

Wow, very nice weight break-down Sian! I just used my bathroom scale with and without the shotgun in hand, then subtracted the difference so I'm sure my figures aren't anywhere near that accurate haha.gif...

Edited by smilingbob

I had a chance to do a little shooting last night, so here's a video showing it in action:

Keep in mind that I'm a lefty, so I'm still getting used to shooting right handed :). My goal for this video was just to get something out there as I'm not aware of any other shooting demonstrations featuring this stock. The ones Center Balanced Systems put out previously were for the S12 Standard stock. The only other video with the Spike Base stock that I'm aware of is the

CBRPS put out.

greedy.gif

I think it handles pretty well for the weight, and the recoil isn't bad, though in fairness, I'm using target loads so next time I'll try it with 3" rounds!

Enjoy the video, more to come!

Good Video

Being new to the AK platform, and Saiga12, I'm still getting the hang of all the terms, and what to do to make it run flawless.

But I've decide to learn from others mistakes, and heed the advice of the seasoned owners here.

What ammo should I run to make it work properly?

What's the meaning/difference of hi brass low brass?

I would eventually like to make it run anything, with any issues, but then again, don't we all?

Thanks for your feedback, Pro2A!

The best advice I can give you is to just start searching the forums as there's a good chance all of your questions have been answered before. The first step would be to familiarize yourself with your shotgun inside and out. Read your instruction manual, read up on all of the information you can find and study pictures and videos. Theoretically, you could be able to run any ammunition you want provided you've adjusted your gas plug for the correct type of ammunition.

High and Low Brass refer to how far the brass extends along the side of the shell:

hlbrass1.jpg

Generally speaking, bigger loads (e.g. Buckshot and Shells) will extend further along the side of the shell (like the black one in the middle of the picture above) while lighter loads (e.g. birdshot and target loads) won't extend as far (like the one on the end). If you're using your factory gas plug, you'll want to be sure that it's set properly for the type of ammunition you're using.

Keep in mind that I'm also VERY new to the Saiga 12 platform, this is my first S12, and I haven't made any permanent alterations to it. That said, I hope anything I've shared helps point you in the right direction, but please don't rely solely on me as everything I've learned has been from others who have graciously shared their time and knowledge on this forum.

I hope that helps!

Thanks for your feedback, Pro2A!

High and Low Brass refer to how far the brass extends along the side of the shell:

hlbrass1.jpg

Keep in mind that I'm also VERY new to the Saiga 12 platform, this is my first S12, and I haven't made any permanent alterations to it. That said, I hope anything I've shared helps point you in the right direction, but please don't rely solely on me as everything I've learned has been from others who have graciously shared their time and knowledge on this forum.

I hope that helps!

Immensely, thanks for the response.

Nice POV shooter video